OFFICIAL: Kings trade Webber to Philly!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stojakovic said:
Honestly, you never know how the players feel. Just because they made an awesome duo, doesn't mean they had a great relationship off the court (even though I doubt they had a bad one, that's for sure). Kobe & Shaq were a great duo, and so were Peja and Chris.
Actually Chris & Bibby are great friends. When they had a "day with C-Webb" on the best damn sports show they went over to C-Webbs house. He had a picture of Bibby's little boy in his living room. All I can say is this trade sucks.

Evilmav2 said:
I honestly feel awful for y'all King fans. For the last few years Webber was In the meantime, again let me say that I hate to see my Mavs eternal playoff rival Kings unfairly gutted like this, and this may sound silly, but I'm actually kind of sad that we probably won't get to see that great 'Rivals Week' Dirk/CWebb commercial anymore...
Yeah.. I was looking forward to that.

As far as another trade tomorrow, I think it's unlikely. If something was going to happen it would've happened all at once. GP said his piece, and there is no reason to get the media together today and then once again tomorrow.

Maybe Petrie will surprise us but it's not looking like it. This will probably be our team for the rest of the year, and who knows what will happen in the off season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
love_them_kings said:
do we have an award around here for best first posts?:rolleyes:
It could end up being best first AND ONLY post...

bl4 - I strongly suggest you read the rules of the house. You are NOT going to come here and, as a newbie, decide to make snide comments about those of us who have been here a long time.

Your future on this board is up to you. One more lame comment and your future will be your past.

VF21 said:
Oh geez. I knew it was going to come to that.

Last year we had Brad Miller AND Vlade Divac. Brad was able to step in at PF and fill in quite nicely. If he does that this year, we have a gaping hole at C. Tag isn't capable of being a starting center, at least not in any really productive sense.

A shot now? At what? The lottery?
At least this will put a stop to all the Peja Haters vs. Webber Haters threads out there. Webber's gone and Peja now has to put up or shut up.

Padrino said:
the praise and optimism is much appreciated, especially from a laker fan.
I won't sit here and say that I didn't bash the Kings just as much as every other Laker fan, but at the end of the day I think that the Kings players earned respect from a lot of fans around the league.

It seemed like Kings basketball was defined by Webber, whose flair for making the extra pass made the Kings fun to watch. In the best days, the Kings moved the ball better than any team in the league and had a chemistry that hadn't been seen in a long time. That chemistry seemed to drop off over the past couple of seasons, but every once in awhile we still saw flashes of it.

Without Webber they are still the Kings, but it really does seem like the end of an era. The Lakers and Kings had a rivalry for the ages, and now both teams have seen their squads depleted by poor trades. Hopefully sometime soon both squads will be back at the top of the Western Conference, where they should be.

I think, well at least I hope, I speak for a lot of Lakers fans when I say that during the rivalry I disliked the Kings, but I respected them. I think that's the best compliment a team can get coming from a fan of a rival team, and that is certainly what it is meant to be.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
King Craz said:
I'm just saying don't dump the season right now, if youdo you are saying that Brad, Biddy , Peja , and Mobbley are worthless.
You do not even want to go there right now. I am not saying that Brad, Bibby and Cat are worthless. I am saying that right now they are a ship without a rudder, a team literally without a leader.

Webber was a major part of this team, on and off the court. He was responsible for the warrior attitude and he did everything he could to keep the team fired up when he himself couldn't be out there.

Don't dump the season? Have you looked at the competion? We are not going to beat the Suns, or the Spurs, or quite probably the Mavericks or even the TWolves with the huge gaping hole we have at the 4. If we move MIller to the 4, then who in God's name do we start as center?

This trade did not make us more competitive. It did not make us better. It did not equip us to beat the teams in the West we've had trouble beating this year.

It sucks.

I've been away all evening, and just checked in to spend half an hour trying to read this thread. I see most of you are unhappy/angry/pissed/spitting mad, but I guess I'm just a realist. Although I'm sad to see Webber go, I've already written off this year as the beginning of a rebuilding mode, so I'm not really that surprised. I've seen other sports teams built, succeed to some extent, then be torn apart only to be rebuilt into contenders again. For me, this is just another phase of the cycle, the down that inevitably follows the up. Also, with all the heartache we've been through with this team, perhaps I've emotionally detached a bit too much to feel much pain on this.

That having been said, I am, and always will be a Kings fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PixelPusher said:
At least this will put a stop to all the Peja Haters vs. Webber Haters threads out there. Webber's gone and Peja now has to put up or shut up.
Yep. For better or worse, this is now Pedja's team. He had BETTER step up and act the part. The gloves are off. He has no free passes coming. He wanted to be the big man and he's the last remnant of the team that ... ah, crap I'm gonna start crying again.

Pedja is the last remnant of the team that first got us so excited and so proud and so united. Jason, gone. Vlade, gone. Doug, gone. Webber, gone.

I LOVE THIS TEAM but I really, really, really, really hate the empty feeling I have right now.

Peja - You had better not let us down.

gangdogu said:
Well, I think some of the fans on this board got what they wanted. Sactown keeps Peja the Playoff choker and trades the best player on the team for nothing. Adelman and Petrie got extension for their 'job'.

Here is what Petrie's job is all about :
Philadelphia trades: PF Brian Skinner (2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes)
SF Corliss Williamson (10.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 22.0 minutes)
PF Kenny Thomas (11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.6 minutes)
Philadelphia receives: PF Michael Bradley (1.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6.4 minutes)
PF Chris Webber (21.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 5.5 apg in 36.3 minutes)
SF Matt Barnes (3.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 16.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.5 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +4.4 apg.

Sacramento trades: PF Michael Bradley (1.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6.4 minutes)
PF Chris Webber (21.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 5.5 apg in 36.3 minutes)
SF Matt Barnes (3.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 16.6 minutes)
Sacramento receives: PF Brian Skinner (2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes)
SF Corliss Williamson (10.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 22.0 minutes)
PF Kenny Thomas (11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and -4.4 apg.

TRADE DECLINED => nice job regarding the boards!

I'm a Webb fan but as sad as it is I guess I won't follow NBA as much as I've done. Webb's heart was in Sacramento, he said it a couple of times. When on the other hand, Stojakovic basically was a King because he was under contract with Sacramento. Definitely a good move. I hope Peja won't let you down like he's down a thousand times before.
Funny thing is I put the trade that went down today in the trade checker at realgm.com and my computer blew up. Go figure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
King Craz said:
Lets face it we were not going to beat all the teams of the west this year plus the Heat with this line up + weber
I'm going to stop because you're starting to really annoy me. We weren't going to beat them? We stood a lot better chance yesterday than we do today.

But whatever. You are entitled to your opinion. Please do not respond. I do not want to start saying things I will undoubtedly regret at some later date.

VF21 said:
You do not even want to go there right now. I am not saying that Brad, Bibby and Cat are worthless. I am saying that right now they are a ship without a rudder, a team literally without a leader.

Webber was a major part of this team, on and off the court. He was responsible for the warrior attitude and he did everything he could to keep the team fired up when he himself couldn't be out there.

Don't dump the season? Have you looked at the competion? We are not going to beat the Suns, or the Spurs, or quite probably the Mavericks or even the TWolves with the huge gaping hole we have at the 4. If we move MIller to the 4, then who in God's name do we start as center?

This trade did not make us more competitive. It did not make us better. It did not equip us to beat the teams in the West we've had trouble beating this year.

It sucks.
Keep miller at 5 and start songaila. He'll step up. This should really give him a chance to develop. I'm sure getting Darius more time was one of the factors that made Petrie decide to cut Webb loose.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacTownKid said:
Funny thing is I put the trade that went down today in the trade checker at realgm.com and my computer blew up. Go figure.
Does it really show declined? I haven't had the heart to go there. Barnes, Bradley and Webber for Thomas, Skinner and Williamson...

And I still don't know how they can move Bradley in a combo trade.

This article was on yahoo sports. Read the last paragraph about what a fine player we lost.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- All-Star Chris Webber was traded from Sacramento to the Philadelphia 76ers late Wednesday night as part of a stunning six-player deal.

The Sixers sent Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson to the Kings for Webber, Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley.

The Sixers called a news conference just before midnight. The deal comes one day before the NBA trading deadline.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sixers president Billy King was looking to make a deal to improve the Sixers frontcourt as they make their playoff push. The Sixers are 26-27 and just a half game behind Boston for first place in the Atlantic Division.

Kings general manager Geoff Petrie had been shopping Webber, who has three years about $62 million left on his contract. The Kings are 34-20 going and are 7 1/2 games behind Phoenix in the Pacific Division.

King insisted he wouldn't part with any of his prized nucleus of young players to make a deal and he didn't have to.

Thomas had fallen out of favor with first-year Sixers coach Jim O'Brien, while Brian Skinner was a free-agent bust. Corliss Williamson was a valuable sixth man off the bench, but none of them have the pedigree of Webber.

VF21 said:
Does it really show declined? I haven't had the heart to go there. Barnes, Bradley and Webber for Thomas, Skinner and Williamson...

realgm does show declined, although I guess it doesn't matter, since it obviously happened. I thought that was weird too. Maybe tomorrow we'll wake up to a press conference that they made a huge mistake, and the trade is impossible? :eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Vlad said:
Keep miller at 5 and start songaila. He'll step up. This should really give him a chance to develop. I'm sure getting Darius more time was one of the factors that made Petrie decide to cut Webb loose.
Yeah, okay. Fine.

Sorry, but I wasn't really ready to flush this season down the drain until a few hours ago.

You don't replace a 20/10/5 PF with Darius Songaila. If you do, you might as well just tie some raw meat around his neck and throw him in the shark tank.

Darius against Kevin Garnett? OH yeah. I'm sure KG is quaking in his boot. Darius against Tim Duncan? Right. Darius against virtually any of the strong PFs in the league and he's toast. You don't take a kid and all of a sudden thrust him into a starting role to take the place of a Chris Webber. Well, not if you care about him anyway.

I feel sorry for the whole team. The obvious message Petrie just sent to all of them is that they weren't good enough so they might as well blow up the team now and not even TRY to get to the playoffs and see how they could do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_10 said:
This article was on yahoo sports. Read the last paragraph about what a fine player we lost.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- All-Star Chris Webber was traded from Sacramento to the Philadelphia 76ers late Wednesday night as part of a stunning six-player deal.

The Sixers sent Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson to the Kings for Webber, Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley.

The Sixers called a news conference just before midnight. The deal comes one day before the NBA trading deadline.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sixers president Billy King was looking to make a deal to improve the Sixers frontcourt as they make their playoff push. The Sixers are 26-27 and just a half game behind Boston for first place in the Atlantic Division.

Kings general manager Geoff Petrie had been shopping Webber, who has three years about $62 million left on his contract. The Kings are 34-20 going and are 7 1/2 games behind Phoenix in the Pacific Division.

King insisted he wouldn't part with any of his prized nucleus of young players to make a deal and he didn't have to.

Thomas had fallen out of favor with first-year Sixers coach Jim O'Brien, while Brian Skinner was a free-agent bust. Corliss Williamson was a valuable sixth man off the bench, but none of them have the pedigree of Webber.
Um, I didn't need to read that last paragraph to know what a fine player we lost. We got rid of Webber's contract and we got rid of a lot of hopes and dreams. And I'm willing to be we just lost a chance at keeping Cuttino Mobley.

VF21 said:

It does b/c the time limit on the Mobley trade hasn't run out. But as it was said earlier there are a ton of loopholes in the CBA.

VF21 said:
Um, I didn't need to read that last paragraph to know what a fine player we lost. We got rid of Webber's contract and we got rid of a lot of hopes and dreams. And I'm willing to be we just lost a chance at keeping Cuttino Mobley.
I meant it as in everyone is thinking the same way we are.

Bibby_10 said:
Kings general manager Geoff Petrie had been shopping Webber, who has three years about $62 million left on his contract.
I guess the Kings origanization is really desperate to dumb Webber. And I guess no one is wanting him. So we come up with this...

My question is, why don't we wait after this season to see how far we go. It's not anything close to an equal value trade.

VF21 said:
I had doubts that Cat was going to be a King past this season anyway.

god please help us

*and on that note im done for night...hopefully i will be back to my old self...well at least a shell of my old self again tomorrow

(thanks Chris, Matt and Michael --we'll miss all 3 of you)

Status
Not open for further replies.