OFFICIAL 2007 Draft selection/discussion thread

You guys just wait- he is no Brad Miller- he can actually play in the post. Immediately becomes the best back to the basket player in Sacrametno in 10 years.

i agree it was a decent pick of what was left over. he was one of the better bigs left which is what we needed. we just all saw the possibilities of getting b. wright, noah and the slim chance of yi, that this picks seems so horrible. i mean ill give him a chance but im not jumping for joy.

Geez folks put away the knifes! Hawes was the best avalable big... remember we have more small forwards than we know what to do witha nd god knows the Kings did not need a tweener or combo... We will see what Spence can bring. If you still hate the guy in December dice him up and burn Petrie at the stake but I am hard pressed to criticize this pick. Now you wnat to talke aobut the aparent lack of effort to move up or better yet the pee poor planning to posiion our selves for this draft then have at GP and the Maloofs.

If they are keeping this pick this may be the move that makes me give up on GP and the Kings. By the way, for those season ticket holders out there, good luck selling your tickets for next season.

Hawes was a need, hes everything Miller is if not more athletic plus the best low post game in the draft, now we pair up an athletic big beside him and we got ourselves a frontcourt.

Welcome Spencer Hawes!

piksi

Hall of Famer
Geez folks put away the knifes! Hawes was the best avalable big... remember we have more small forwards than we know what to do witha nd god knows the Kings did not need a tweener or combo... We will see what Spence can bring. If you still hate the guy in December dice him up and burn Petrie at the stake but I am hard pressed to criticize this pick. Now you wnat to talke aobut the aparent lack of effort to move up or better yet the pee poor planning to posiion our selves for this draft then have at GP and the Maloofs.
He is a big who plays small.

Ok I get that. Brad Miller plays away from the basket more. Than explain why Hawes rebounds so poorly?

Because he is 19, in his first year of college basketball. In addition he got sick and lost a lot of weight right in the middle of the season and he played with a very very good rebounder on his team.

It's good to see Ricky Roe get drafted in the top ten. After that whole Western University scandal with Happy, Neon, and Coach Pete Bell — it's nice to see Ricky come out unscathed. That tractor he got this dad? I'm not sure if he gets to keep it or not. The gym bag filled with cash? OK, OK, all "Blue Chips" jokes aside — I'm not sure what to say about this pick. Hawes had a solid freshman year, but was nothing spectacular in his one season at Washington. That said, he's a legit seven feet and has a sweet touch. Wednesday at the media session, Greg Oden was telling Corey Brewer and Rodney Stuckey a good little story. Apparently, a bunch of the Lottery guys went out in Times Square to get a quick bite on Tuesday night. Everyone was in shorts and tee shirts. Hawes showed up in a full suit. Ha! Can't wait till Ron Artest gets his hands on this guy. The Maloofs could have a fun little reality show on their hands.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6967202?forum_key=StoryComments&topic_key=6967202&page_no=4

From Chad Ford

Hawes is basically Brad Miller Jr. He's a great offensive player in the post and an excellent passer.
The rest is Insider Only

Last edited:
Portland traded Randolph for Steve Francis?

Geez one crappy max contract for an even worse one. Although Francis's is shorter I guess. HOpefully he can still play basketball.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I'll give him a pass until pre-season. (if he is still here)
Maybe as a back-up he won't be all that bad. Thinking positive here.:rolleyes:

He is a big who plays small.
I disagree. Hawes has a full low post game and does NOT mind banging in the paint. He can also pass, so in many ways he is reminicent of Vlade. His ablity to elevate to block shots and get boards is not developed so in that sense he "plays small" but he may (or may not) develop in these areas. But the guy is not afraid of contact and he can play the low post better than any guy the Kings have had since Webber.