Off-Season Trade Targets: Larry Sanders

Great, get the Bucks on the phone Pete. Jason Thompson and Carl Landry for Sanders just turned into JT and Carl for Sanders and the rights to swap firsts!!
Exactly if you're getting rid of the contract if landry and outlaw you do it. It's not like we are giving up a lot him/DMC get along and Malone is hard nosed getting a rim protecter for that package would be huge.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I sincerely hope this latest incident ends all talk of our acquiring this idiot. This loser got his big contract and turned his attention to what he really loves, which appears to be sitting around and being high. If you still want him on our team, I seriously question your intelligence.

On the flip side, this could be the perfect time to buy low.

I think at some point Sanders will revert back to his dominant self, I don't know when but at some future point some of us will look back and say, "Why didn't we get him when... "

I don't condone weed and I hate to say it, but when it comes the NBA you just have to let some things slide if you want talent. Let me give you two names and you can figure out my point: Chris Webber and Jokiam Noah.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
On the flip side, this could be the perfect time to buy low.

I think at some point Sanders will revert back to his dominant self, I don't know when but at some future point some of us will look back and say, "Why didn't we get him when... "

I don't condone weed and I hate to say it, but when it comes the NBA you just have to let some things slide if you want talent. Let me give you two names and you can figure out my point: Chris Webber and Jokiam Noah.
If you want to gamble on a player that may or may not revert back to his dominate self that makes 1 mil a year, I'm on board. But if he makes 11 mil a year for four more years, then I'm jumping ship.

If you want to gamble on a player that may or may not revert back to his dominate self that makes 1 mil a year, I'm on board. But if he makes 11 mil a year for four more years, then I'm jumping ship.
I see it as trading a player who's not needed going to be rotting on the bench (Landry) and a capable backup (JT) for potentially a starting big man with elite defensive skill. Worst case scenario the Kings lost JT for nothing.

The thing is, how many weed-smoking slacker big man actually do flame out at age 25? Not many. Most guys do get their act together until they ultimately wash out around early 30s. I figure Sanders has about 5-6 more productive years before he turn into the next Lamar Odom.

I see it as trading a player who's not needed going to be rotting on the bench (Landry) and a capable backup (JT) for potentially a starting big man with elite defensive skill. Worst case scenario the Kings lost JT for nothing.

The thing is, how many weed-smoking slacker big man actually do flame out at age 25? Not many. Most guys do get their act together until they ultimately wash out around early 30s. I figure Sanders has about 5-6 more productive years before he turn into the next Lamar Odom.

I'm not sure how I feel about trading for Sanders yet.

On one hand, we're a small market team. Small market teams usually have to take some risks to become a championship caliber team. Also, giving up Landry and Thompson would be a hell of a steal if Sanders returns to form.

On the other hand, the Kings will have their 3 double digit contracts (Cousins, Gay, and Sanders). Are we certain this is the core that can lead us to the promise land? One of the best things about building through the draft is that your draft selections basically have 4 years to prove if they are worth a double digit contract, compliment the rest of the team, and fit into the system. However, when you're trading for players with double digit contracts, you run the risk of not knowing many of those things.

If we traded Thompson and Landry for Sanders, our lineup for next season would be:
PG - McCallum/Thomas
SG - McLemore/Terry
SF - Gay/Williams/Outlaw
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins
*2014 1st round pick

That starting unit is not bad if McCallum, McLemore, and Cousins continue to develop. We would have around 11-12 mil in cap room the following offseason to surround our core (McCallum, Thomas, McLemore, Gay, Sanders, Cousins, 2014 1st round pick) with complimentary pieces. Will that be enough to get it done? I don't know...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So what he smoked pot to relax while injured. Good medicinal qualities to relieve pain.
yes, like the "medicinal properties" of alcohol. Just get stoned/hammered out of your mind and you feel no pain. Very healthy and medicinal like.

You can also be a weak minded immature twit so stupid you get yourself caught THREE separate times by the NBA, an employer paying you millions a year with rules against it. then we call your dumb skinny ass Keon Clark.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
yes, like the "medicinal properties" of alcohol. Just get stoned/hammered out of your mind and you feel no pain. Very healthy and medicinal like.

You can also be a weak minded immature twit so stupid you get yourself caught THREE separate times by the NBA, an employer paying you millions a year with rules against it. then we call your dumb skinny ass Keon Clark.
Keon Clark is probably a good comparison. Except Keon was inexplicably an effective offensive player when he was with us whereas Larry Sanders features the offensive firepower of Justin Williams and the brain to match.

To veer slightly off topic, but I would like the Kings to go after Jordan Hill and Thabo Sefalosha. Hill is a pretty good pick and pop player and has range on his shots and he is a pretty good defender. Thabo is an elite perimeer defender and who can knock down the open 3. (even though he's shooting porrly from 3 this year) The problem is that I don't know how the Kings could get them and even if both players would want to come to a team like Sacramento.

If we traded Thompson and Landry for Sanders, our lineup for next season would be:
PG - McCallum/Thomas
SG - McLemore/Terry
SF - Gay/Williams/Outlaw
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins
*2014 1st round pick
Don't forget our #1 draft pick and FA. We could be looking at this lineup:

PG - (Lowry or Session or Augustin or Farmar) /IT
SG - Gay/McLenmore
SF - (Wiggins or Parker)/DWill
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins

Don't forget our #1 draft pick and FA. We could be looking at this lineup:

PG - (Lowry or Session or Augustin or Farmar) /IT
SG - Gay/McLenmore
SF - (Wiggins or Parker)/DWill
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins
Yep. I didn't forget the draft pick...

PG - McCallum/Thomas
SG - McLemore/Terry
SF - Gay/Williams/Outlaw
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins
*2014 1st round pick
Secondly, there is no way we keep Gay and Thomas and sign Lowry, and I'm not too excited about Sessions, Augustin, or Farmar being our starting PG of the future. If we want Lowry, we would have to let Gay walk.

I'm going to give us the benefit of the doubt on all the salaries to try and form a team like the one you put together.

Wiggins and Parker are locked in as top 3 picks. If we landed the third pick, the salary for that first year would be $4,278,000. With Thomas and Gay still, that means we have to retain them. Let's say we get a good deal and we sign Gay for $13 mil a year for 4 years. The salary for that first year would be $11,625,510. Let's also say we are able to retain Thomas for a good price and sign him for $4.5 mil a year for 4 years. The salary for that first year would be $4,024,215. Now let's look at all of our contracts together:

DeMarcus Cousins $13,701,250
Rudy Gay $11,625,510
Larry Sanders $11,000,000
Derrick Williams $6,331,404
Jason Terry $5,850,313
Andrew Wiggins $4,278,000
Isaiah Thomas $4,024,215
Ben McLemore $3,026,280
Travis Outlaw $3,000,000
Reggie Evans $1,768,653
Quincy Acy $915,243
Ray McCallum $816,482
Total Payroll: $66,337,350

The cap is projected to be $62.1 next year, so we wouldn't be able to sign other team's free agents. We could only offer the MLE ($5.305 mil) or resign our own FAs. Offering the MLE would still keep us under the luxury tax (projected to be $75.7 mil).

This team structure would look like this:
PG - McCallum/Thomas
SG - Wiggins/McLemore/Terry
SF - Gay/Williams/Outlaw
PF - Sanders/Evans/Acy
C - Cousins

There's no way we're getting Lowry for the MLE. We could look at offering the MLE to a guy like Ed Davis or Jordan Hill. Either of those players would be excellent third bigs coming off the bench.

Remember the entire reason we were able to trade for Chris Webber in the first place is that he was arrested in early 1998 for driving under the influence of marijuana and the Washington Bullets wanted to get rid of him. That was after he forced a trade out of GS because he didn't get along with the coach. Acquiring a player with off-the-court issues and an expensive contract is a risk, but every personnel decision in the NBA carries some risk. I think it might be warranted in this case. This isn't a guy who had one fluke series and talked his way into a big contract because of potential, he proved for an entire season that he's an elite defender. Does 23 games between injuries this season discount what he did all last season? Is there a precedent for a player blocking 200 shots in a season and then forgetting how?

Noah, Ibaka, and Davis are not realistic options. Gibson and Horford probably aren't either. None of them are on the trade block. The draft isn't the answer to everything. The only players in this draft who have the potential to maybe be as good defensively as Larry Sanders was last season are Joel Embiid and Willie Cauley-Stein and Embiid is most likely going to be off the board when we pick. We may not even have a first round pick next season. Who are we going to sign in free agency that's a dominant shot blocker and effective post defender? As I pointed out above, even if such a player were available there are 10 other teams with more cap space than we do next season and two of them play in New York and Los Angeles. I think waiting and hoping for one of those two unlikely scenarios to solve our problems should also be considered a risk. Asking a d-league call up to try and fill that hole in our lineup is a risk. If you agree with me that acquiring an interior defender should be a priority for us, you have to at least consider Larry Sanders, off the court issues be damned.
I've been on that buy-low for Sanders bandwagon all season, for pretty much the exact reasons you point out. there's basically no rim protection available whatsoever right now and that's still maybe the number one problem the Kings have. on the one hand, all these incidents he keeps having make me sceptical about his long-term viability as an NBA player, on the other hand it should make it cheap as hell to acquire. there are so few other options out there, it seems prudent to at least keep monitoring that situation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I've been on that buy-low for Sanders bandwagon all season, for pretty much the exact reasons you point out. there's basically no rim protection available whatsoever right now and that's still maybe the number one problem the Kings have. on the one hand, all these incidents he keeps having make me sceptical about his long-term viability as an NBA player, on the other hand it should make it cheap as hell to acquire. there are so few other options out there, it seems prudent to at least keep monitoring that situation.
If 11 million dollars a year is your idea of cheap, I'd hate to see your idea of expensive.

as the post states, very explicitly I might add, "cheap as hell to acquire", meaning that no major asset would have to go the Bucks way.
But its chewing up cap space that we no longer really have the luxury of splashing. If its someone like Ibaka, I do not even blink at the $11m-$12m per season price tag but when the player attached to it comes with some stupidity attached to it, I start to squirm.

But its chewing up cap space that we no longer really have the luxury of splashing. If its someone like Ibaka, I do not even blink at the $11m-$12m per season price tag but when the player attached to it comes with some stupidity attached to it, I start to squirm.
Like Napear, I think Gay is going to opt out of his final year, so we should have some space to work with.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Sanders was a better defensive player than Ibaka last year. I linked to articles in my first post which show that. We have one glaring hole in our roster and he's exactly the right shape of peg to fill it. And remember, to most outsiders Demarcus Cousins is also a talented player with some stupidity attached. He sure as hell proved his doubters wrong this season. All Sanders has to do is show 2013 wasn't a fluke and stay on the court and he and Cousins have us in the playoffs the next four years in a row. Not even winning the lottery would have that level of immediate impact. Can he stay on the court? I think we've got personnel in place here who could help make that happen.

Is there even another shot blocker defender out there that's available. Maybe Asik but we don't have the pieces and if Gay resigns for 12mill we won't have enough space to sign a defender. If all it's gonna take is JT/outlaw than you do it. You would have Acy/Landry off the bench which is very good.

I'm on board. Especially now that WCS isn't going to declare. We're not going to be a winning team without a shotblocker, we're not the Miami Heat. While Sanders is obviously an idiot, that might work in our favor since his value has probably dropped even more. Sometimes all it takes is some personnel change to rejuvenate someone. We definitely have the pieces to get it done and our owners have money now (unlike the **** brothers)

totally valid point, it's a serious gamble that you either come out of looking like a genius or like a complete idiot. should it work out, however, Sanders on his own might be enough to turn this whole thing around defensively. add to that Cuz improvement and, hopefully, better perimeter defence, and you may be looking at a top 10 defence next year. get the offence in gear again, sidenote: I never realised how massively that has fallen off since the All-Star break, and it's a Playoff team with considerable untapped potential.

Is there even another shot blocker defender out there that's available. Maybe Asik but we don't have the pieces and if Gay resigns for 12mill we won't have enough space to sign a defender. If all it's gonna take is JT/outlaw than you do it. You would have Acy/Landry off the bench which is very good.
Asik is even better as an option, especially since he's only got this last year left on his contract, not sure what Morey would want, though, so you're probably right on that. other situations worth keeping an eye on, imo, are Chicago, should they want to dump salary beyond Boozer and decide to part with Gibson (unlikely, but hey, weirder things have happened) and New York, where Tyson Chandler seems to be close to asking for a trade. who knows with New York, though. they kinda need Chandler's expiring, he might decide to stick around with Jackson in town now, maybe they lose Carmelo and are screwed anyway, again, who knows. never mind that I'm not sure how well Chandler would work out here, salary-wise and with the future in mind, and whether Chandler would want to come here.