Off season targets

Buddy is pretty damn close to a perfect for them next to Lonzo's defense (and improved shooting) and opening up the paint for Zion and Ingram as elite paint collapsers. He's also amazing in transition and that team could easily destroy pace records in NBA history.

Would be interesting what a deal would look like to get 10+Adams for Buddy base. More likely would be something along the lines of including NAW or Hayes with Adams.
That would be interesting.

Kawhi Leonard reportedly wants out like he did with the Spurs because of their medical staff. Bagley wants out here and we want to trade Buddy. If Kawhi Leonard decided to sign with Sacramento (unlikely, but the same type of player that could jumpstart the Kings as Paul did for Phoenix), and you had to trade Buddy and Marvin to a team with Capspace like OKC, and it cost you a first rd pick, possibly #9 but ideally a future protected first, do you do it?

Deal is essentially
Buddy, Marvin to OKC along w a 1st #9 or a future first for capspace

Capspace then used to sign Kawhi Leonard

Thoughts?
You are living in a fantasy world.

Would you consider this trade?

Principals: Fox to the Knicks for RJ Barrett and M Robinson.

Randle gets a bona fide star running mate.

Kings get stronger defensively, on the boards, and from 3. And in Ty, RJ and MR arguably have three young pillars to build around.

1 - Ty
2 - Barrett
3/4 - HB & Barnes/Johnson/Wagner/Kuminga
5 - Robinson

Bench: Hield, Wright, Bagley, Metu, Davis, Jones, etc

Last edited:

Kings get stronger defensively, on the boards, and from 3. And in Ty, RJ and MR arguably have three young pillars to build around.

1 - Ty
2 - Barrett
5 - Robinson

No

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

1 - Ty
2 - Barrett
5 - Robinson

How many picks are the Knicks sending us?

Would you guys float 9 for Hunter or Reddish? The Hawks really are going to have to make a decision on Huerter-Hunter and Reddish as they're about to pay the piper here shortly:

Collins: Headed to RFA
Trae new deal: 1 year
Huerter new deal: 1 year
Hunter new deal: 2 years
Reddish new deal: 2 years

Bogi : signed 2 more years with a PO for a 3rd. 18 mil/season
Gallo: Signed 2 more years at 20 and 21mil/season
Capela: Signed 2 more years at 17-18 mil/season

So who gets cut? Would they really just let Collins walk? Even if they did that, they'd have like 85 mil tied into Trae-Gallo-Bogi-Capela. They just aren't going to be able to keep all 4 of their young dudes unless they flip one or multiple of their veterans instead.

Would you guys float 9 for Hunter or Reddish? The Hawks really are going to have to make a decision on Huerter-Hunter and Reddish as they're about to pay the piper here shortly:

So who gets cut? Would they really just let Collins walk? Even if they did that, they'd have like 85 mil tied into Trae-Gallo-Bogi-Capela. They just aren't going to be able to keep all 4 of their young dudes unless they flip one or multiple of their veterans instead.
Just sign them to a deal when they hit RFA. Of the two, prefer Hunter.

I would keep the 9th pick and offer them Buddy for Capela.

A guy I'm growing on quite a bit is Jarred Vanderbilt, who is a RFA. Just turned 22 in April and showed tremendous defensive potential as a potential rim protector from the 4 spot and the ability to defend on the perimeter. He's not a spacer, but he's pretty close to exactly what you'd want defensively next to Bagley to make up for his inability to rim protect. Just extremely productive in his limited USG (61% TS) and fits the mold of players McNair goes for with a high steal and block% ( 3.5% BLK, 2.7% STL).

Wolves weirdly went away with him and started to favor Jaden McDaniels towards the end of the year. And they're cap situation is really a mess as they're pretty much tapped out with long-term contracts to vets. Seems like a good bet to force the Wolves to make a decision on a player they were moving away from towards the end of the year.

Just sign them to a deal when they hit RFA. Of the two, prefer Hunter.
If you couldn't strike a fair deal I agree with this. If it were 9 I'd honestly stay just stick with Wagner/Johnson/Moody and get the use out of that extra time of them being on a rookie deal before another tough decision has to be made contract wise. And this is the issue the Hawks still have. They kept drafting lotto pick after lotto pick and high upside combo F's at that so it was only a matter of time before some of them started to shine in a way that will hurt the Hawks chances to retain them. Reddish showed, albeit briefly, the star potential he has always had. The Kings are in the same boat somewhat but they kind of did it backwards. They already signed their big money players and have a bit of cushion since they have Haliburton and this upcoming crop of picks at the start of their deals while the others decline. Vlade did a decent job prepping for the future with the way things ended up but now they are on the cusp of their own potential John Collins scenario with Bagley. Can't have it all I guess lol.

A guy I'm growing on quite a bit is Jarred Vanderbilt, who is a RFA. Just turned 22 in April and showed tremendous defensive potential as a potential rim protector from the 4 spot and the ability to defend on the perimeter. He's not a spacer, but he's pretty close to exactly what you'd want defensively next to Bagley to make up for his inability to rim protect. Just extremely productive in his limited USG (61% TS) and fits the mold of players McNair goes for with a high steal and block% ( 3.5% BLK, 2.7% STL).

Wolves weirdly went away with him and started to favor Jaden McDaniels towards the end of the year. And they're cap situation is really a mess as they're pretty much tapped out with long-term contracts to vets. Seems like a good bet to force the Wolves to make a decision on a player they were moving away from towards the end of the year.
Jaden looked great on defense though so it makes sense. I like the idea of adding someone like Vanderbilt as well. They haven't even really used his ability to make plays as a point F yet.

Plus - D Fox likes Vanderbilt. Said he was the best rebounder that he ever played with.

This isn’t news to former Wildcat De’Aaron Fox, who says that Vanderbilt is the best rebounder he’s seen play.

“For him, once he gets healthy ... he’s the best rebounder I’ve ever seen,” Fox said on The Ringer NBA Podcast with Kevin O’Connor. “He can really handle the ball, he can play point guard if you really need him to. But he can go get the rebound and push the ball down the floor with anybody.”

Vanderbilt averaged 7.9 rebounds per game last year, but played just 17 minutes per game. He averaged 18.5 rebounds per 40 minutes, and 26.5 rebounds per 100 possessions. He had a rebounding percentage of 25.7, which was better than Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns’s rebound rates in their single seasons at Kentucky.

Been watching some EJ Ono tape and I'm becoming increasingly enamored. Raw, yes, but he has some tools that absolutely should translate from the get-go - n both ends.

Offensively, between the one-legged fadeaway and the 40% from 3 on volume, there's clearly place for him. His form on the 3-ball looks solid - and, unlike many 7-footer 3-pt shooters, Ono's actually is a JUMPshot.

Defensively, he's a rim-protector, is active, fairly mobile, not a stick figure... smart guy and hard worker. I think he'll get the schemes.

And he'll beat most guys in transition, both ways, rather than be beat.

He's a long way away from what he may become, but I see someone who can give 10-15 mpg out the gate.

I haven't fully read the thread but I saw this floated in an article:

Sacramento Kings Receive: F Obi Toppin, F Kevin Knox, C Norvel Pelle, 2021 first-round pick and 2023 second-round pick (via DET)

New York Knicks Receive: G Buddy Hield and 2022 second-round pick (via DET or CHI)

Curious what people think of this trade. I know Obi Toppin was considered by some on here to be the best in the draft.

Sacramento Kings Receive: F Obi Toppin, F Kevin Knox, C Norvel Pelle, 2021 first-round pick and 2023 second-round pick (via DET)

New York Knicks Receive: G Buddy Hield and 2022 second-round pick (via DET or CHI)

Curious what people think of this trade. I know Obi Toppin was considered by some on here to be the best in the draft.
I would do it in a heartbeat, that's solid return for Buddy.

I don't remember anyone here thinking Toppin would be one of the top players in last year's draft, let alone the best, but even if they did I doubt they'd admit it now.

I wasn't high on Toppin last draft. Beyond highlight reel dunks there wasn't a ton of substance to his game. He was an older prospect who was terrible on defense and hadn't developed a jumper.

Knox fell off a cliff the last two seasons after a reasonably promising rookie year. It's telling that both he and Toppin only played 11 mpg each. And Pelle barely saw the floor at all.

This trade would essentially be a salary dump to shed Buddy's contract and pick up a later 1st rounder.

How you feel about it likely depends on whether you think Hield is a good player who is overpaid and who probably is best off the bench or if you think he's a net negative (especially considering his contract) who the team would be better off without.

Wayyy too good for the Kings. The Knicks could just overpay for a Hield-caliber player with their cap space without having to sacrifice any of those assets.

I want no part of Cam Reddish. He’s got potential, but up until this point he’s been the worst rotation player in the NBA and that’s not an exaggeration.

dude12

Hall of Famer

Lame for the Kings. A bunch of nothing for a proven 3 point weapon. Knox is a bust, Toppin showed nothing, the 2nd rounders cancel each other, so a flyer first for the proven 3 point weapon.

And when we see Hield in the playoffs, people will ***** about the organization in hindsight.

If Buddy is tradable, I think the best move would be to trade him for a more balanced player that can defend and then pick up Noel in free agency. That should balance the team right out and not cost a lot of money.

The Buddy thing is easier said than done obviously but picking up Noel on the market should be a no brainer.

I don't remember anyone here thinking Toppin would be one of the top players in last year's draft, let alone the best, but even if they did I doubt they'd admit it now.

I wasn't high on Toppin last draft. Beyond highlight reel dunks there wasn't a ton of substance to his game. He was an older prospect who was terrible on defense and hadn't developed a jumper.

Knox fell off a cliff the last two seasons after a reasonably promising rookie year. It's telling that both he and Toppin only played 11 mpg each. And Pelle barely saw the floor at all.

This trade would essentially be a salary dump to shed Buddy's contract and pick up a later 1st rounder.

How you feel about it likely depends on whether you think Hield is a good player who is overpaid and who probably is best off the bench or if you think he's a net negative (especially considering his contract) who the team would be better off without.
I remember at least bajaden thinking of him as the top prospect only because I agreed with his assessment.

None of those players excite me in the least, so in terms of value for me it reduces to Buddy for a late first. A late-first isn't the kind of value I'd want.

Kings ended last year w/7 guys 23 and under, of whom only 2 (Fox, Haliburton) have clear, established value. Barring a trade, Kings will add 2 more to that number thru the draft. Enough draft picks (unless it's lottery). If Buddy/Barnes/Bagley/whomever get traded, I hope it's for a veteran w/prime years left who's already proven to have some value at a position of need.

If Buddy is tradable, I think the best move would be to trade him for a more balanced player that can defend and then pick up Noel in free agency. That should balance the team right out and not cost a lot of money.

The Buddy thing is easier said than done obviously but picking up Noel on the market should be a no brainer.
If Holmes comes back, are you still using the MLE on Noel?

I think if you added Bagley, you could get them to bite. Trade disappointing big man prospects for each other, but we get a reset on the rookie deal and aren't facing Bagleys RFA status along with cap relief and another 1st. Knicks get a plug and play win-now player that directly addresses their biggest issue of no-spacing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think if you added Bagley, you could get them to bite. Trade disappointing big man prospects for each other, but we get a reset on the rookie deal and aren't facing Bagleys RFA status along with cap relief and another 1st.
New York’s currently picking 19th and 21st in this draft so either pick is going to present similar value. Perfect opportunity to grab Ziare or a potential lotto faller (Garuba or Isaiah Jackson?).
Obi’s by no means been an impressive player but he could definitely be an effective pick and roll rimrunner for Fox and Haliburton in that Holmes role and Knox provides more wing depth and another toy for Rico Hines to play with. Adding Bagley might make incoming-outgoign salaries unworkable.

Last edited:
I think if you added Bagley, you could get them to bite. Trade disappointing big man prospects for each other, but we get a reset on the rookie deal and aren't facing Bagleys RFA status along with cap relief and another 1st. Knicks get a plug and play win-now player that directly addresses their biggest issue of no-spacing.
Yeah, the Kings would need to add more. The Knicks should to suffer for how they buried Toppin and drafted the wrong player for their team but Bagley would probably have to be included at least. Bagley still has more upside IMO but like you said Toppin has years left on his deal so it balances out.