Now that we know the draft order, who do we draft? (New thread)

Minny is the target to move up from that 10 pick and get their 7th.

They'd have to like what was at 10, and it would probably cost Skal or WCS.

And I wouldn't give either up myself.

The Philly second we have this year is rather important as well.

We've got the opportunity to potentially grab a guy who after a development year or two could be very valuable, let's say we got Mason who Christie seems to like. Well we'd have a guy on a rookie contract and later restricted FA.

Could save a lot of money in future years if we nail that pick.

To anyone hoping Frank is around at 10.

Dallas has supposedly been scouting him more than anyone else.

Rather weak source, but here it is.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...outed-Frank-Ntilkina-More-Than-Any-Other-Team
I hope they do select him, or the Knicks take him. There's talent there, but he doesn't seem ready for starting duties. If we are going for a point guard I'd rather be looking at Fox or Smith, but I suppose if we get a Jackson or Tatum at #5, then Ntilikina at #10, then I wouldn't complain. But he's currently on the same list as Isaac for me. Talented, but will need a lot of development, and I'd rather get players more likely to be immediate contributors.

I hope they do select him, or the Knicks take him. There's talent there, but he doesn't seem ready for starting duties. If we are going for a point guard I'd rather be looking at Fox or Smith, but I suppose if we get a Jackson or Tatum at #5, then Ntilikina at #10, then I wouldn't complain. But he's currently on the same list as Isaac for me. Talented, but will need a lot of development, and I'd rather get players more likely to be immediate contributors.
Why the need for immediate contributors? This team will be full of high potential rookies with a few low level vets mixed in. They aren't going to win next year so I'd rather take the high ceiling guys that could help turn us into contenders in the future.

I don't like the Elf comparison at all. First, Elf was a junior when he was drafted to Fox being a freshman. That matters a lot. And while Elf does have a great first step, Fox is on another level. We just haven't seen a guy with his quickness since John Wall. He's going to walk into the league as one of the fastest/quickest players in the entire NBA, much less this rookie class. The Pedigree matters here too with Fox being one of the best players in the country his freshman year while no one really gave any attention to Elf until the draft process started.

Next, the shot form isn't broken whatsoever. Just isn't. He's not even close to the same level as an Elf or MKG or any of those guys who can't shoot and really had no hope of developing a shot. And he did see improvement in his last 10 games shooting 9-19 for 47%. It took Wall a couple seasons too to develop a passable 3-ball and I don't see any reason that Fox can't either.

Past that, I just think it's stupid to pass on superb talent that's elite at literally every other aspect of the game because of the variance that happens in 3pt shooting. He's a great passer/getting to the line/patient/defensive upside/elite athlete and quickness/leadership qualities. Basically, if you could guarantee me Fox would hit 35% on his 3pt shooting, I'd draft him over Fultz. Obviously that's a huge IF and shooting is incredibly important in today's NBA, which bumps Fox down a peg for most. But I believe in his other skills that much.
Even though Payton was a junior, he was extremely young. I don't even know how he did it..... but he was a 20yearold rookie!!!! Just for comparison, Skal was a 20yearold rookie for us too. So him being a junior doesn't matter all that much. It would be less than a year gap between Fox's and Paytons age. Payton isn't as quick as Fox, but they're very very similar players. Payton is the much better playmaker, but as you said, Fox is the better athlete. But to say Elf isn't athletic is incorrect. Fox is by far, the better prospect, but they are very similar.
Shot needs a ton of fixing. 25% really tells you a lot. Again, Wall was already the better shooter coming out of Kentucky. Fox attempted a low number of 3s, and had much lower % all around. Lots of recent prospects who can't shoot and have busted as PGs: MCW, Exum, Smart, Payton, Mudiay, and Dunn have all been disappointing. 3pt shooting is extremely important in the NBA. For Fox, it's the difference between being a franchise PG and being a backup PG.
I think people overplay Fox's passing ability. He's probably the 4th/5th best passing PG in this draft. I also wouldn't call his game patient. Lots of times where he erratically attacks the rim in attempt to draw fouls. I just don't see the appeal in a non-3pt shooting PG. He's a all dom. slashing PG. I'd rather the Kings draft other prospects who's games resembles the elite PGs. Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, Lillard, Wall, etc.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/5th-overall/50509/

The #5 pick is fraught with opportunity and risk. Interesting that Robinson and Cousins were #5 picks. To me, there's a manifest drop-off after #3 in this draft. It's highly unlikely that either Boston or the Lakers would want anything the Kings have in order to make a deal. Philly is the only opportunity to move up, and that would very likely be for Jackson, who I think is an excellent talent. When I look at the draft I don't have the confidence in either Fox or Tatum that I do in Jackson. If you're at #5 you don't want to settle, you really want to identify the player(s) you really want and go after them. If the player(s) are not available, a trade down is warranted. This is what Vlade did in the last draft; the player he wanted wasn't there and he traded down.

Minny is the target to move up from that 10 pick and get their 7th.

They'd have to like what was at 10, and it would probably cost Skal or WCS.

And I wouldn't give either up myself.
Is there any chance we could pull an inverse of what we did last year with Phoenix? Maybe flip Kosta for a late first rounder (or Afflalo's contract for one and absorb capspace) and then package the late first rounder, Bogdan, and #10 for the 7 pick? I agree completely that if we want to try to land Fox and Isaac we would need to get to 6 or 7 most likely. It's moving up less than we moved down last year, and there are 10 prospects that are fairly elite. The rub for the Kings is that we have young talent at 3 spots and complete vacant holes at the 1 & 3 where this draft is especially strong. I would love to walk away from this draft with Fox and Isaac if at all possible (or if you get the 7th pick maybe Isaac and DSJ depending on where you believe players will go leading up to the draft).

Is there any chance we could pull an inverse of what we did last year with Phoenix? Maybe flip Kosta for a late first rounder (or Afflalo's contract for one and absorb capspace) and then package the late first rounder, Bogdan, and #10 for the 7 pick? I agree completely that if we want to try to land Fox and Isaac we would need to get to 6 or 7 most likely. It's moving up less than we moved down last year, and there are 10 prospects that are fairly elite. The rub for the Kings is that we have young talent at 3 spots and complete vacant holes at the 1 & 3 where this draft is especially strong. I would love to walk away from this draft with Fox and Isaac if at all possible (or if you get the 7th pick maybe Isaac and DSJ depending on where you believe players will go leading up to the draft).
Bogdan & 10 is what we'd like to pay.

I don't see it working without more than that man.

Portland may pay to move Leonard, he's got a 3 year bad salary deal and they'd be happy to take KK in that exchange, you could probably get the 20th pick for that deal.

But its more about getting out of a contract for them than being sold on Kosta.

Somehow if you did all that with everyone understanding, it would be 10+Bogdan+20 for the 7 and some bad money.

No Tatum....no thank you. Smallish and over-reliant with his right hand. A good player sure - maybe ok at 10 but not 5. Rather see Isaac, Markennan or Collins. Fox or Smith Jr., Resign Lawson or Collison. Also would be happy with Jackson and Frank.
Combination of Fox/Smith Jr and Isaac (excellent) or Jackson and Smith Jr/Frank ( very good) or Fox/Smith Jr and Markennan (very good); Fox/Smith Jr and Collins (very good).

Fox floor would be like a young Rondo which is not bad at all. Ceiling would be Mike Conley Jr. - a top 10 PG. If Fox develops a consistent long range shot, he could be an all-star.
Tatum is 6'8" , that is not "smallish"

I think there is every chance that the Kings will try to trade up to get either Fultz (yes please) or Ball (not as sold on it).

I doubt either Boston or Lakers would be interested in trading the pick what both teams would think is a fair deal. I would trade Kosta, #5 and #10 for Fultz in a heartbeat but I don't think Boston accepts that.

Assuming that there is no trading of picks and Kings pick at #5 and #10, the absolute best case scenario for me is Fox and Isaac but there is also every chance that ends up being Tatum and Ntilikina.

I think with either Fox or Tatum you are getting a high end, all-star level talent. If Fox gets a jump shot, look out.

Given that Kings need to get a franchise level guy and a can't miss prospect, I still think they will try and trade up to get Fultz. Fingers crossed they can pull it off.

I see all this chatter about trading up for #1 to Fultz but is Fultz that much better than Fox or DSJ?

Bogdan & 10 is what we'd like to pay.

I don't see it working without more than that man.

Portland may pay to move Leonard, he's got a 3 year bad salary deal and they'd be happy to take KK in that exchange, you could probably get the 20th pick for that deal.

But its more about getting out of a contract for them than being sold on Kosta.

Somehow if you did all that with everyone understanding, it would be 10+Bogdan+20 for the 7 and some bad money.
That's what I'd like to see done. My dream scenario would be a starting 5 (eventually) of:

PG: Fox
SG: Buddy
SF: Isaac
PF: Skal
C: WCS

That's what I'd like to see done. My dream scenario would be a starting 5 (eventually) of:

PG: Fox
SG: Buddy
SF: Isaac
PF: Skal
C: WCS
I'm not really sold on Isaac like some people. He's tall and long but looks like an average athlete, and decent shooter. He lacks aggression and looks more like a role player

He absolutely is... but not really with how the Celtics would use him (off ball shooter and defender) since IT is so ball dominant. Doesn't much matter though, Ainge is smart enough to take the best talent and work out the details later when he's at a position of strength. There are better fits in the draft for Boston, but Fultz is the clear best talent, and I don't think they trade away that pick unless it's for a complete and total ransom which I don't think the Kings have the assets to pull off.

dude12

Hall of Famer
According to Steve Kyler f basketball insiders, someone asked him on twitter about DSJ and supposed possible problems with him. He ripped the NC State program as a crap show last year. Said the main problem was the program.

I think we will need to take along hard look at DSJ as he may be the best option for us at 5..... And that includes Fox being available also.....not a knock against Fox but more of a promotion of DSJ.

He's far more talented and a complete player for sure. I still have questions about his commitment on D and his low FT% but I think he's far and away the safest pick with the most advanced game and fewest holes.

One thing that's hard to judge is his passion for the game. He seems to be a gym rat but his playing style makes it seem like he's not always playing hard.

I'm not really sold on Isaac like some people. He's tall and long but looks like an average athlete, and decent shooter. He lacks aggression and looks more like a role player
You don't take him at 5, but if you can grab him later in the draft his height & length make him a worthy project. I don't think he has much of an impact in his rookie season it would be next year.

In that lineup he doesn't have to be more than a really strong role player. His athleticism is elite from everything I've read, and his shooting is solid. Also, his ancillary numbers from a rebounding and defense perspective are really strong. The idea is you have 4 finishers and solid defenders around a PG who can get anywhere on the court he wants. Plus the makings of a very very strong defensive team that would be a nightmare in transition if they play aggressive defense.

I think the better question is would we be willing to try to jump to 7 for him and pay what's necessary to do so. I think you do if Skal, Buddy, WCS are not part of the price.
Agreed, wouldn't give up any of them to jump to 7 for him. Assuming no future draft picks are involved I would be open to almost anything else on the roster to make that move.

According to Steve Kyler f basketball insiders, someone asked him on twitter about DSJ and supposed possible problems with him. He ripped the NC State program as a poopoo show last year. Said the main problem was the program.

I think we will need to take along hard look at DSJ as he may be the best option for us at 5..... And that includes Fox being available also.....not a knock against Fox but more of a promotion of DSJ.
While I think Smith has legitimate gripes with the NC State program, the reality is also that he was auditioning for the NBA and didn't always put his best foot forward.

I am thinking that Fultz, Ball and Jackson are definitely gone before #5. I don't think Jackson makes it past Phoenix and I think if LA somehow decides to pass on Ball I think Philly jumps on him.

The big question is who that fourth player is. If I had to guess I'd say Tatum.

Last edited:
While I think Smith has legitimate gripes with the NC State program, the reality is also that he was auditioning for the NBA and didn't always put his best foot forward.

I am thinking that Fultz, Ball and Jackson are definitely gone before #5. I don't think Jackson makes it past Phoenix and I think if LA somehow decides to pass on Ball I think Philly jumps on him.

The big question is who that fourth player is.
Bledsoe et all may make them lean Tatum.

I know he has some question marks and is not a consensus #5, but wow...Smith Jr looks like a star to me. Good shooter, passer, great athlete, quick, hesitation moves and crossovers beyond his years, and that alpha mentality to fearlessly fly through traffic above the rim and dunk. Almost reminds me of Westbrook when he does that. I'm sure Vlade will take a long look there to get the whole story.

Fox looks very good too. Smooth and fast, but will the shooting be an issue? Hmmm.

Even though Payton was a junior, he was extremely young. I don't even know how he did it..... but he was a 20yearold rookie!!!! Just for comparison, Skal was a 20yearold rookie for us too. So him being a junior doesn't matter all that much. It would be less than a year gap between Fox's and Paytons age. Payton isn't as quick as Fox, but they're very very similar players. Payton is the much better playmaker, but as you said, Fox is the better athlete. But to say Elf isn't athletic is incorrect. Fox is by far, the better prospect, but they are very similar.
Shot needs a ton of fixing. 25% really tells you a lot. Again, Wall was already the better shooter coming out of Kentucky. Fox attempted a low number of 3s, and had much lower % all around. Lots of recent prospects who can't shoot and have busted as PGs: MCW, Exum, Smart, Payton, Mudiay, and Dunn have all been disappointing. 3pt shooting is extremely important in the NBA. For Fox, it's the difference between being a franchise PG and being a backup PG.
I think people overplay Fox's passing ability. He's probably the 4th/5th best passing PG in this draft. I also wouldn't call his game patient. Lots of times where he erratically attacks the rim in attempt to draw fouls. I just don't see the appeal in a non-3pt shooting PG. He's a all dom. slashing PG. I'd rather the Kings draft other prospects who's games resembles the elite PGs. Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, Lillard, Wall, etc.
It's worrisome but his form is his saving grace. That and the fact that he improved on his shot a ton at the end of the year. But again, sample size has to be taken into consideration.

Our very own Buddy Hield shot just 24% from 3 in his rookie year at Oklahoma.

Shot improvement is one of the easier things to correct for a player. Especially with good form. Sometimes players just get the yips when the bright lights are on them. Sometimes they have off years (Belinelli). Sometimes they slowly improve over the course of a few years. Sometimes they never develop the shot and become a liability on offense.

If Fox never develops the shot and doesn't turn into Rondo as far as play making abilities go, he will be a liability. I have faith in the kid because he seems like a confident, hard working, go getter. He could fall into that disappointing group you listed but he does have other skills that separate himself from most of those guys. There's no way of ever knowing until he becomes a pro but I would roll the dice and take a chance on him because he could be a franchise changer here in Sac. I don't know if anyone on the board when we pick has that kind of ceiling. Maybe Smith but he likely won't be a two way player where Fox probably will.

Here is my King's board for the two picks

5) - barring a trade it will be one of these 3
1. Jackson
2. Fox (most likely)
3. Tatum

10)
1. Isaac
2. Frank N (if we don't get Fox)
3. Markkanen
4. OG Anunouby
5. Collins

Smith and Monk are no goes at 5 and they won't be there at 10.