NOOOOO! Kings looking at Walker?!?!

Diabeticwonder said:
I'm certainly not a huge fan of SAR or Toine and I realize that the acquisition of either one will not do anything to help transform the Kings into a defensive juggernaut. However, with so many posts on this board being so critical of both SAR and Toine for their defensive deficiencies and soft tendencies, who do you propose that the Kings get? Sure it would be great to get KG or Ben Wallace, but we all know that that's not going to happen. The only other big men on the market or could be on the market i.e. Tyson Chandler are not going anywhere. Big men with defensive skills are not a dime a dozen. So, for every poster that has remarked about how getting Toine or SAR will do nothing for the Kings, please explain who you would like the Kings to realistically get.
Thanks you :)

Diabeticwonder said:
I'm certainly not a huge fan of SAR or Toine and I realize that the acquisition of either one will not do anything to help transform the Kings into a defensive juggernaut. However, with so many posts on this board being so critical of both SAR and Toine for their defensive deficiencies and soft tendencies, who do you propose that the Kings get? Sure it would be great to get KG or Ben Wallace, but we all know that that's not going to happen. The only other big men on the market or could be on the market i.e. Tyson Chandler are not going anywhere. Big men with defensive skills are not a dime a dozen. So, for every poster that has remarked about how getting Toine or SAR will do nothing for the Kings, please explain who you would like the Kings to realistically get.
Here's a start:

Bricklayer said:
Well, let's see, other than Nene, Kwame, Darko, Chandler, Evans, Gadzuric, Swift, Griffin, Dalembert -- nope, sure have no idea where to find any young PFs who might be out there. Not to even mention Rahim and Marshall. And with Pau Gasol, Michael Sweetney, Carlos Boozer, Jamaal Magliore etc. among others rumored to be available or looking for a change of scenery, yes I'm quite sure that we have no choice but to go with Antoine Walker to avoid becoming trapped in lotteryland once again.
The thing that's scary about adding Walker is that he's 29, you'd be giving him a multiyear deal and a significant role on the team. So he's the starting PF for a few years. Where is the room to improve the weaknesses, the ares we get weaker in by adding Walker? The best thing he can do is help us tread water, worst case is we turn into the New York Knicks of the West and we're stuck with him for 3 or 4 years.

Antoine is a high-risk, low-reward ballplayer.

Diabeticwonder said:
So, for every poster that has remarked about how getting Toine or SAR will do nothing for the Kings, please explain who you would like the Kings to realistically get.
By either a sign and trade for Cat or by trading Peja for a big.

Here's why the players you mention probably aren't available or are otherwise unappealing:

Nene -- fingers crossed on the Mobley S&T
Kwame -- maybe... but would you really want someone like him?
Darko -- Dumars wants to give him one more shot
Chandler -- the Bulls would be insane to let him go
Evans -- do the Kings really need an unskilled thug who stunk it up against the Kings in the playoffs, the same team that made Jerome James look like Wilt Chaimberlain?
Gadzuric -- the Bucks will probably resign him, and besides, he can't really play the 4
Swift -- probably going to get more than the MLE
Griffin -- sure, let's sign him up as soon as he's out of PRISON
Dalembert -- out of our price range
Pau Gasol -- way too expensive, and speaking of soft...
Michael Sweetney -- Isaiah only trading him for Kwame Brown
Carlos Boozer -- too expensive, and undersized
Jamaal Magliore -- base year player, almost impossible to trade, plus he's a center

I honestly think that unless the Kings trade a star, they're looking at Shareef, Nene and Walker as viable PF options, and after that the quality drops off dramatically.

nbrans said:
I honestly think that unless the Kings trade a star, they're looking at Shareef, Nene and Walker as viable PF options, and after that the quality drops off dramatically.
Exactly! The only so called "stars" that the Kings have are Mike, Peja and Brad, but I don't think that they are going to be traded unless a deal comes along that GP can't turn down and I don't foresee that happening. Therefore, the only way to get new faces on the team is either through FA or trades of the other players and the free agent market is not loaded with power forwards who are defensive minded players who think defend and rebound first. Secondly, trading away another player (not one of the so called core) is not going to get that type of player in return. I have all the trust in the world that GP and company have though this thing through and played out every scenario...it's their job to do so. But in the end I don't think that they are willing to give up one of the 3 and if they aren't willing to do so then players such as SAR and Toine are the best available considering what we have to give and how much money we have to sign a FA.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
nbrans said:
Here's why the players you mention probably aren't available or are otherwise unappealing:

Nene -- fingers crossed on the Mobley S&T
Kwame -- maybe... but would you really want someone like him?
Darko -- Dumars wants to give him one more shot
Chandler -- the Bulls would be insane to let him go
Evans -- do the Kings really need an unskilled thug who stunk it up against the Kings in the playoffs, the same team that made Jerome James look like Wilt Chaimberlain?
Gadzuric -- the Bucks will probably resign him, and besides, he can't really play the 4
Swift -- probably going to get more than the MLE
Griffin -- sure, let's sign him up as soon as he's out of PRISON
Dalembert -- out of our price range
Pau Gasol -- way too expensive, and speaking of soft...
Michael Sweetney -- Isaiah only trading him for Kwame Brown
Carlos Boozer -- too expensive, and undersized
Jamaal Magliore -- base year player, almost impossible to trade, plus he's a center

Some thoughts on the players mentioned...

---Reggie Evans is someone that a lot of Kings fans may be overlooking...Sure he can't score a lick, but that guy is a rebounding machine. Definatly something that this team depratley needs.

---Kawme Brown...Well, if the Nene deal doesn't work, you may as well try to get anything in return. Plus his upside is still there.

---Bucks just resigned Gadzuric. (ESPN Bottomline)

SLAB said:
Some thoughts on the players mentioned...

---Reggie Evans is someone that a lot of Kings fans may be overlooking...Sure he can't score a lick, but that guy is a rebounding machine. Definatly something that this team depratley needs.

---Kawme Brown...Well, if the Nene deal doesn't work, you may as well try to get anything in return. Plus his upside is still there.

---Bucks just resigned Gadzuric. (ESPN Bottomline)
Brian Skinner is our version of Reggie Evans. Do we need another one that has no skills other than rebounding.

Kwame is a HUGE risk and for the salary he will be getting he just simply isn't worth it. Wizards gave him a qualifying offer that was set at just over $6million. Do you pay that for someone like Kwame who is a HUGE risk?????? I don't think so if you are a smart GM.

SAR and Walker might not be what this team needs but surely you can see they are safer bets than someone like Kwame. Kwame might have the upside but he sure as hell hasn't proved anything yet and with salary of some $6million + he sure as hell isn't worth the risk.

Entity

Hall of Famer
The only thing about the Walker deal is they are talking of 2 or 3 players moving. Like us geting Lafrentz (aseful contract) and Mark Blount (aweful contract) and sending Corlis and Skinner. Correct me if i am wrong but aren't we trying to get rid of a 5 year contract of Thomas why take on a 4 year of Lafrentz and 5 year blount for 2 guys that are WAY tougher in Corlis 2 years and Skinner 3 years. This trade would indeed make us the Softest front court in the history of the NBA hands down. I would rather things stay the same with Thomas than to have those 3 players on our team.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Čarolija said:
Brian Skinner is our version of Reggie Evans. Do we need another one that has no skills other than rebounding.

Kwame is a HUGE risk and for the salary he will be getting he just simply isn't worth it. Wizards gave him a qualifying offer that was set at just over $6million. Do you pay that for someone like Kwame who is a HUGE risk?????? I don't think so if you are a smart GM.

SAR and Walker might not be what this team needs but surely you can see they are safer bets than someone like Kwame. Kwame might have the upside but he sure as hell hasn't proved anything yet and with salary of some $6million + he sure as hell isn't worth the risk.
And if you play it safe, we continue to wallow in mediocrity. That simple. We don't move forward. We just sit here with the hope that we can make the playoffs and then have our pants pulled down for a good spanking by the first serious team we run into. People are too scared of being bad to take the chance of being good. Playing to win 50 is conceding losing before you even begin.

Diabeticwonder said:
If Peja has as much value as I hear on this site everyday there are a number of PF we could pry. I like the Nene or Kwame for Cat thing, also.

When Webb was traded we supposedly got all these "spare parts" for some great off-season of change. Well, Petrie, if you have a plan, it is about time you bring these changes, starting with a decent PF.

Bricklayer said:
And if you play it safe, we continue to wallow in mediocrity. That simple. We don't move forward. We just sit here with the hope that we can make the playoffs and then have our pants pulled down for a good spanking by the first serious team we run into. People are too scared of being bad to take the chance of being good. Playing to win 50 is conceding losing before you even begin.
You are the most parochial when it comes to not overpaying players to have flexibility in the salary cap yet you would take such a HUGE gamble on someone like Kwame who is more likely to be a bust than he is to succeed. I mean seriously, his starting salary would be around the $6million mark and he would want a long term deal, lets say 4 years. So you would be willing to to take a change on Kwame at some $25-$30million over 4 years??????

Well, I am glad you are not the GM because we would be going into mediocrity quick.

I say, lets get a young player to build the team around if we can. Let us take risks but lets take the type of risk Chris Webber was when we got him. Someone who has shown he can play, lets spend that money on that sort of player not a laughing stock of the competition that is Kwame Brown. I would rather have SAR or even Walker as my PF that someone like Kwame who is 23 and I doubt he will get much better.

Yoda said:
If Peja has as much value as I hear on this site everyday there are a number of PF we could pry. I like the Nene or Kwame for Cat thing, also.

When Webb was traded we supposedly got all these "spare parts" for some great off-season of change. Well, Petrie, if you have a plan, it is about time you bring these changes, starting with a decent PF.
Unfortunately, Peja's value has dropped considerably after this last season. Before Webb came back from surgery, Peja was looking like a legit superstar. That would've been the ideal time to pull the trigger, but we were still contending then and it truly was not the right time to blow up the team.

Now another season's gone by, and Peja's been badly exposed as an incomplete player who probably will never add the facets to his game necessary to be "the man" on any team.

At least that's the way I see it, and I have to assume any GM who's been paying attention can see the same thing.
~~

captain bill said:
What team would give up a superstar for Peja, Corliss and Skinner? Seeing as their are no teams looking to unload their star players (to my knowledge) no one is going to take that low of an offer.
Well...What I mean is I wish Petrie would start looking in that direction, using his GM skills that everyone knows he has.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The thing is I'm pretty sure Petrie is doing a lot of stuff right now. As usual, however, there aren't any leaks coming from the Kings camp. This is a tough time - and I don't expect any kind of real news for at least another week. It's just not the way Petrie does business... and I'm still almost convinced if he sees a leak hit the media, he kills the deal.

Yoda said:

I 100% agree.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Čarolija said:
You are the most parochial when it comes to not overpaying players to have flexibility in the salary cap yet you would take such a HUGE gamble on someone like Kwame who is more likely to be a bust than he is to succeed. I mean seriously, his starting salary would be around the $6million mark and he would want a long term deal, lets say 4 years. So you would be willing to to take a change on Kwame at some $25-$30million over 4 years??????

Well, I am glad you are not the GM because we would be going into mediocrity quick.

I say, lets get a young player to build the team around if we can. Let us take risks but lets take the type of risk Chris Webber was when we got him. Someone who has shown he can play, lets spend that money on that sort of player not a laughing stock of the competition that is Kwame Brown. I would rather have SAR or even Walker as my PF that someone like Kwame who is 23 and I doubt he will get much better.
I have my doubts about Kwame at that price too -- then again, if the Nene possibility falls through we are looking at losing Cat for nothing, and I will happily take a chance on Kwame over getting nothing back at all even if we overpay. You say he may not develop. You could be right. Of all the young players with the possible exception of Darko, I consider him the biggest risk. On the other hand, no matter what you may think a lot of GMs still think he's got the talent to be a significant player, and it may be as simple as a change of environment. Such an immature young kid when he came out, and the waters in Wahington are irreparably posioned.

VF21 said:
The thing is I'm pretty sure Petrie is doing a lot of stuff right now. As usual, however, there aren't any leaks coming from the Kings camp. This is a tough time - and I don't expect any kind of real news for at least another week. It's just not the way Petrie does business... and I'm still almost convinced if he sees a leak hit the media, he kills the deal.
Well not totally true. I remember hearing about the Brad Miller deal before it went down. I was pissed at the time b/c we gave up Pollard and I liked him a lot. But for the most part, yes, Petrie comes out of left field with his deals.

Latest on this trade : http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=93341

'Toine on the lookout

Antoine Walker [news]'s agent is continuing to work the market in search of a sign-and-trade deal that would allow the forward to make more than the mid-level exception. Mark Bartelstein said he's been on the line with Sacramento, but for anything to work on that front the Kings would almost certainly have to take either Mark Blount [news] (five years left) or Raef LaFrentz (four remaining).

As for contracts the Celts might be willing to take, Corliss Williamson has two years left at a total of $12.5 million and Brian Skinner has two years at $10.35 million. . . .

Ryan Gomes was showing no ill effects at practice after getting his head opened by an elbow in Friday's game. He got two stitches after a 10-point performance.

Looks like the C's are looking to unload their own massive contracts...and if that's what it takes for this trade then it is completely unnacceptable. If we had the opportunity to unload some of ours, maybe, but this is just making things worse for us. I can't see LaFrentz or Blount giving us anything significant, but getting them would mean we have to get rid of Skinner, Thomas and let Songaila walk.

Ainge Dismisses Walker Talk
12th July, 2005 - 3:12 am

Boston Herald - Danny Ainge said yesterday that he's found discussions about a sign-and-trade deal for Antoine Walker very interesting. That's because he's heard of them only through the media and Internet.

There have been reports of trade talk between the Celtics and Sacramento, Houston and now New York. But all the words have apparently been generated in print only.

``I've had no conversations,'' Ainge said. ``I have not had one conversation with anybody about Antoine. Not one.''
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36596/20050712/ainge_dismisses_walker_talk/

Mad D said:
Ainge Dismisses Walker Talk
12th July, 2005 - 3:12 am

Boston Herald - Danny Ainge said yesterday that he's found discussions about a sign-and-trade deal for Antoine Walker very interesting. That's because he's heard of them only through the media and Internet.

There have been reports of trade talk between the Celtics and Sacramento, Houston and now New York. But all the words have apparently been generated in print only.

``I've had no conversations,'' Ainge said. ``I have not had one conversation with anybody about Antoine. Not one.''
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36596/20050712/ainge_dismisses_walker_talk/
YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the Full One here :

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=93466

Ainge: No truth to 'Toine rumors
By Steve Bulpett/ Celtics Notebook
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - Updated: 12:39 AM EST

LAS VEGAS - Danny Ainge said yesterday that he's found discussions about a sign-and-trade deal for Antoine Walker [news] very interesting. That's because he's heard of them only through the media and Internet.

Some of the speculation appears to be arising from Walker's representative doing his job. With Walker wanting more than the mid-level exception available to free agents, Mark Bartelstein is trying to drum up interest in a sign-and-trade that would give his client a chance for a better contract.

``I understand, and that's Mark's business,'' Ainge said. ``But I have no idea what he's working on. I really don't. I have no idea.''

Asked flatly if the Celtics are trying to move Walker in such a manner, Ainge said, ``I am not.''

As for whether he'd be amenable if Bartelstein or another club approaches him with a reasonable proposal, Ainge said, ``A sign-and-trade has to make sense for us. That's all. It has to be a good deal for us.''

The Celts look to be letting the Walker situation shake itself out. Ainge has spoken to Bartelstein and kept open the lines of communication, but the matter isn't close to resolution.

``First of all, Antoine has to want to come back at a number we want, and we haven't even discussed that yet,'' Ainge said. ``It's that simple.''

This is all BS from Walker's agent. Neither the Kings nor Celts are interested in a sign and trade. From what it sounds, the Kings may be interested in Walker, but only for the MLE. Of course, Walker's agent is trying to inflate his client's value.

I say sign and trade Cat for Kwame, since we're not going to get Nene, and the Lakers are going after Kwame now. Anyone else scared that Phil could get Kwame to excel?

LPKingsFan said:
Anyone else scared that Phil could get Kwame to excel?
eh....

no more than i think adelman could do it. brown is a primadonna, though one without an excuse for it. phil jackson had trouble containing kobe bryant, who is a bigger primadonna, but one with an obvious skillset and unquestionable talent. wheras kobe was an obvious star from the beginning, brown is an enigma, at this point. phil jackson's not an ***-kicker like popovich, though he is a good teacher of the game. maybe brown doesn't need an ***-kicker. maybe he just needs a good teacher. adelman is even less of an ***-kicker than jackson, is not one at all, for that matter, but he's a good teacher of the game as well. i dont know what brown needs, but adelman and jackson are both good coaches, and both could help brown gain a better understanding of the game of basketball. they could show him how to utilize his talents. if they could do that, maybe his maturation as a basketball player would help him mature as a human being. adelman did that for webber. maybe he could do it for kwame.

Padrino said:
eh....

no more than i think adelman could do it. brown is a primadonna, though one without an excuse for it. phil jackson had trouble containing kobe bryant, who is a bigger primadonna, but one with an obvious skillset and unquestionable talent. wheras kobe was an obvious star from the beginning, brown is an enigma, at this point. phil jackson's not an ***-kicker like popovich, though he is a good teacher of the game. maybe brown doesn't need an ***-kicker. maybe he just needs a good teacher. adelman is even less of an ***-kicker than jackson, is not one at all, for that matter, but he's a good teacher of the game as well. i dont know what brown needs, but adelman and jackson are both good coaches, and both could help brown gain a better understanding of the game of basketball. they could show him how to utilize his talents. if they could do that, maybe his maturation as a basketball player would help him mature as a human being. adelman did that for webber. maybe he could do it for kwame.
I am not saying that Phil would be better than Adelman. I'm saying that Phil is better than most, and that makes it more of an imperative to take a risk since we have Rick too.