Nicole Powell Added to WNBA All Star Team

KHTK is reporting that Powell has been added to the festivities.

A bright spot in what has been a dismal season. Congrats Nicole, you truely deserve it!!!

Last edited:
Well, I don't agree that she deserves it, but congratulations nonetheless.
Ditto... I don't think she "Played her way into it" either but I didn't think Lawson was all that deserving of her accolates last year either.

So Congrats anyway... Better Powell than Some other Non-seserving player from the South that I know the league was dying to add.

In my opinion, not all teams have All-Star worthy players. On the other hand, I find All-Star players elected by fans doesn't always reward true excellence during a season either. It's more of a popularity contest than anything else. (I can remember in the NBA, Vince Carter getting elected the year he hadn't played a single game due to injury...ridiculous.:rolleyes:)

In my opinion, not all teams have All-Star worthy players. On the other hand, I find All-Star players elected by fans doesn't always reward true excellence during a season either. It's more of a popularity contest than anything else. (I can remember in the NBA, Vince Carter getting elected the year he hadn't played a single game due to injury...ridiculous.:rolleyes:)

Of course it is. How else can you explain Anna DeForge getting a ton of votes (mostly via the internet) to start in the ASG a couple years ago?

...or Swin Cash being voted in as a starter in '05, despite playing only two games earlier that year, and being on the DL due to an ACL injury during the entire previous year?

In a 13 team league, there is no such thing as reasons to exclude players, especially those selected for injury replacements IMO.

I'm glad Nicole is there, I too thought she should have made the trip to DC instead of Lawson in 07 but I think that was a positional choice, as was the case this season.

Sacramento has done it's share of ballot box stuffing so I tend not to squint when other cities do it. We managed to push Ruthie into a starting spot when she wasn't even starting for her own team.

Congrats to Nicole! She has earned her spot, IMO.

As far as each team having to be represented? I think it's a great thing for the game to have at least 1 player from each team.

First, it awards those players who have worked their butts off but have a crappy team surrounding them. Second, it brings in much higher ratings for the game and for the league.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In a 13 team league, there is no such thing as reasons to exclude players, especially those selected for injury replacements IMO.
Feh. I don't think the size of the league should have anything to do with it; in my opinion, you can't be an All-Star and be on a team with a .178 winning percentage. If it makes you feel any better, though, I think that should be a universal rule in all sports.

I'm glad Nicole is there, I too thought she should have made the trip to DC instead of Lawson in 07 but I think that was a positional choice, as was the case this season.
How's that again? They replaced a center with a forward; positional choice? :confused:

Sacramento has done it's share of ballot box stuffing so I tend not to squint when other cities do it. We managed to push Ruthie into a starting spot when she wasn't even starting for her own team.
Well, that's certainly one way to look at it...

They could use another wing. They wanted Parker but that wasn't happening probably could make the case for Smith, but they could use another wing.

That's fine...for an argument about whether an MVP can come from a cellar dweller. But not an allstar slot. That's a precedent this league will NEVER set. I feel comfortable saying EVER.

My argument has been in support of the choice of allstar slots being made pertaining to the play of athletes irrespective of the record of their teams. Its a showcase of "stars" not team records. Well, that is to say in regards to the coaches' votes. The fan voting, well I just give up on that as long as teams hand out ballots and encourage their fans to vote for all their players on the ballot irrespective of how their play compares to others around the conference/league.

If the player is worthy, I have no problem with the machinations. Powell's numbers make her worthy to be the selection Hughes makes. I wanna say Tina Thompson was similarly tabbed in 07.

If Leslie wasn't injured or voted in would she have made it? Probably not. But that's immaterial at this point.