Nicknames

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, his nickname came because someone didn't know it was spelled SpuTnik? How ironic is that? His nickname SHOULD be Sput?

;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
So, his nickname came because someone didn't know it was spelled SpuTnik? How ironic is that? His nickname SHOULD be Sput?

;)
And did not know the difference between a satlite (payload) and a rocket (delivery system).

"Big Country" Bryant Reeves

In a big country dreams stay with you!
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside...
Stay alive!
Stay alive!

Nate"tiny"ARchibald
Mitch "Rock" Ritchmond

and my all time favorite even though it isin't a nickname:

"not my vydas, not your vydas, but arvydas sabonis
what a classic;)

VF21 said:
Well, according to this website from his draft class, you have it about 100% right! :eek: Who'd a thunk it? A semi-sarcastic remark ends up being the truth! :D (Again...at least according to the site I'm quoting!). Jeez, there are days I hate having a curious nature!).

http://www.hostultra.com/~lbrooks2/nba/1985.html
87. Detroit: Spud Webb (NC State)

Spud Webb is only 5'7'', but he can still slam dunk the ball. He was drafted by the Hawks where he had a successful career, but was traded to the Kings for Travis Mays in 1991. "Spud" is a shortened form of his nickname "Sputnik" given to him as a baby. He played for Minnesota in 1995-96, but he could not sign a deal with an NBA team for the 1996-97 season, so he had to play in Italy.

---
me again, to be fair, we have a family member who, if you looked at their nickname now, you'd never deduce the origination of it at all...it just evolved over 30+ years from babyhood to adulthood! So, I'm guessing Sputnik devolved into Sput into Spud...I'm more curious as to why his family would nickname him Sputnik as a baby in the first place! Maybe they just thought he was "out of this world" from the moment he was born!

KK! :D

i do have to admit, barfley has given out some good nicknames recently.

he still calls sam cassell gollum.

he always scream out GIIIIINNOOOOOBLI when the spurs are on TNT

he calls duncan " groundhog day" which i kinda like.

when i'm watching kings games with my dad, i like calling mike " ice ice bibby" from way back in 02 :D

Evenstar said:
i do have to admit, barfley has given out some good nicknames recently.

he still calls sam cassell gollum.
I guess that would be kind of funny if they were REALLY good friends and that was an internal joke. But saying something like that in front of national audience is a little tasteless and then repeating it is just moronic.