NFL thread (2018-2019)

Pick the winners

• NFC: Los Angeles Rams over New Orleans Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm 55 and it just seems like Tom Brady has been in charge of the NFL forever (I know it isn't true). To hate him you gotta be a hater. He's GOAT hands down.
I'm 44. I have been a Boston sports fan since about 86 but I didn't come to appreciate the Patriots until 92 when I went to BU. They were absolutely dreadful. Scott Zolak (who is now a Boston sports commentator) was the starter for the final 4 games of the season and lead them on a bit of an upswing, but they finished with like 2 wins and fired everyone, hired Bill Parcels and began the Drew Bledose era the following year. It has been a hell of a ride. I know it is coming to an end though. And I really wanted to see us play the Saints because I think of all the NFC teams over the last 10 years they have been the ones it would be a real measuring stick to defeat them. Or lose to them.

Rams and KC are going to be just fine unless they overpay their QBs.

At the end of the day, that's going to be Brady's legacy. He wanted to win so much he sacrificed NFL salary (and also didn't whore himself out like Manning when it came to endorsing everyone) that his team could compete and it paid in spades.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rams v Patriots? Looks like I'll be recording the game just to watch the commercials. I have zero interest in the game.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Rams v Patriots? Looks like I'll be recording the game just to watch the commercials. I have zero interest in the game.
We have a pool going at work, so I'll watch it for that and the commercials. Other than that I would skip it entirely. I will root for the Rams, though. While Brady is likely the GOAT, I've always disliked the constant cheating, etc., coming out of NE. Don't like that team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have a pool going at work, so I'll watch it for that and the commercials. Other than that I would skip it entirely. I will root for the Rams, though. While Brady is likely the GOAT, I've always disliked the constant cheating, etc., coming out of NE. Don't like that team.
Rooting for the Rams would go against my life-long rule of hating all things LA. Since I actually hate the Rams anyway, there's no wiggle room here for me. I would have loved to see Kansas City in there instead of NE. Since that didn't happen, I'll probably do a marathon of the first season of Dexter.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Rooting for the Rams would go against my life-long rule of hating all things LA. Since I actually hate the Rams anyway, there's no wiggle room here for me. I would have loved to see Kansas City in there instead of NE. Since that didn't happen, I'll probably do a marathon of the first season of Dexter.
Eh, NBA I'm right there with you. But the Rams, while I don't like them, I don't despise them either. No recent 49ers rivalry with them like there used to be at one time. Same thing with the Mighty Ducks. Other than the Sharks, they would be my second-favorite hockey team. All things LA in the NBA suck though. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. It's pretty telling to me that this year's Super Bowl didn't even garner enough interest around here for anyone to pick a winner. Me? I'm watching for the commercials, although I've already seen a number of them. Really don't understand why they do that. I could probably wait until tomorrow and just catch them on YouTube. At this point, it's just background stuff on the TV while I catch up on some housework. :p

With the way the storm is picking up outside, I won't be surprised if my power or satellite signal goes out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Things I've liked so far:

1. Peyton Manning/John Malkovich commercial
2. The sisters who sang "America the Beautiful"
3. Gladys Knight
4. The fly-over

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sure a good thing some of the commercials have been entertaining. My reaction to the first quarter?

1549240093659.png

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now playing on the Animal Planet: Puppy Bowl XV
Now playing on TLC: Dr. Pimple Popper: The Poppy Bowl
Now playing on NBATV: Lakers at Warriors (2/2/19)
Now playing on the Food Channel: Worst Cooks in America

I've seen power outages more exciting than this game.

Well, I continued my streak of watching every Super Bowl. Unfortunately I missed part of the game because there was some paint drying just down the street from me. I did manage to see what passed for drama in the 4th quarter.

One observation from watching all the Super Bowls: the most common team philosophy in the big game is Don't F**k Up. That's led to a lot of boring game plans and games, with today's being a prime example.

I liked the game a lot, but I like 1-0 pitchers duels too. Watching McVay try to crack Bill's code... it was a hard hitting war. Refs let them play. Sorry almost the whole rest of the world hated it.
It was a bit nerve wracking for me and I was annoyed that my son and GF don't appreciate football and I'm here clenching my pillow afraid that the Rams could change it on one play. I guess despite the Rams and Chiefs potent offenses, they were very different and the Rams. I finally could relax at 10-3, knowing even if the Rams scored Pats would probably have the ball last. I also went outside to watch on my laptop away from everyone after the halftime.

But yeah, I think this "worst super bowl ever" nonsense was strange. I think it's mostly just because Patriots fatigue and everyone wanted a duel like last year.

Ironically, Sunday's result actually featured the widest margin of victory in any of Brady's 9 Super Bowls and was the only game not to be decided on either team's final possession.

Ironically, Sunday's result actually featured the widest margin of victory in any of Brady's 9 Super Bowls and was the only game not to be decided on either team's final possession.
OMG what a stat. The team known for running up the score in their heyday just had their biggest Super Bowl rout ever? ha ha ha ha ha that's awesome.

I can certainly appreciate a good defensive battle. What tipped the scales in the other direction for me was something they couldn't control. If you were taking Scriptwriting 101, and you came up with the following:

4th quarter, tie game, Brady marches down the field and scores, Goff marches down the field and throws an interception; then, when they get the ball back, there's another mistake, game over

you'd get a D- at best for lack of originality. It was just too predictable to appreciate the defensive battle this time.

Incidentally Tom Brady lead potentially game winning TD drives in his 3 losses but the defense couldn't hold. Whatever else about the Pats offense, it's designed to leave the defense reeling in the 4th. The Falcons game being the ultimate example of that.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
But yeah, I think this "worst super bowl ever" nonsense was strange. I think it's mostly just because Patriots fatigue and everyone wanted a duel like last year.
That was definitely part of it. But it was indeed a boring game (very little scoring, relatively few first downs, and a whole bunch of punts, many downed without a return attempt), a lousy halftime show, and a very poor crop of commercials. And I never was really in the running to hit on any of my numbers in the office football pool.

The whole show was very blah and underwhelming. Not entertaining at all. At least for me.