NFL SuperBowl LIV - 2/2/2020

Who wins Super Bowl LIV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But how much of either of those is his fault? His defense just utterly collapsed in on itself on both occasions.
i know and I don’t care what happened to the Falcons. This is just a drag. We were better than those guys, 21 points in 6 Minutes. As I said. This one is on the defense.

there really isn’t anything I’d change about the Niners that could’ve put them over the top. They just completely blew it

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Should be noted that when you pay an exorbitant amount of money for a service to watch NFL games from the NFL itself, you'd generally expect it to work during the biggest game of the season and not completely and totally implode into a ball of failure instead.

I was halfway through my angry letter to the NFL about its gamepass service when I realized that my experience with NFL gamepass today is a direct analogy for the Niners second half performance.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The second they didn’t capitalize on the second INT, it was over. Just like you knew it was over when O’Brien kicked the field goal or when Tennessee forgot how to tackle. And there were bad calls, but there was no robbery. The fourth quarter hit, and the Niners got overwhelmed a terrified by the situation at hand. And they proceeded to choke all over themselves. As I said, I’d be more disappointed if I didn’t expect the Big L, I just didn’t expect it like that.

Well, the offense not being able to burn clock was a disaster but this one was lost by the defense. It would’ve been won by them but they completely collapsed
Its not defenses fault - they pulled down 2 turnovers and the Niners converted one - its on the offense......this was the Chiefs....... they weren't going to hold them down all game..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The good thing for the Niners is that most of their team is young and some of their injured pieces (i.e. the half of the receiving core on IR) could really help them next year and the ones that are older are probably staying on for another couple of seasons.

The bad news is that Jimmy's perfect record in the Super Bowl is permanently tarnished.

Its not defenses fault - they pulled down 2 turnovers and the Niners converted one - its on the offense......this was the Chiefs....... they weren't going to hold them down all game..
21 points in the final 6 and a half minutes. The defense can take a little bit of the responsibility here. I didn’t say they had a dud of a game but it’s a hero to goat situation. They went from as good as we’ve seen them all year to as bad, they stopped making plays completely. We knew the Chiefs wouldn’t die but 21 points in 6 and a half minutes is something that I’m not willing to just grant against our defense.

the 57 second drive after the Cheifs made it 17-20 was a disaster as well as the indecisiveness at the end of the first half. Some crappy calls as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh well.
Time to do some more day drinking (the sad kind), watch some Doctor Who, and sleep.

I don't know if it's because I'm an adult now or if its because the Kings have permanently broken me inside but I'm not nearly as broken up about this as I thought I'd be (whereas the Super Bowl loss to the Ravens left me a despondent wreck for a good month).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Oh well.
Time to do some more day drinking (the sad kind), watch some Doctor Who, and sleep.

I don't know if it's because I'm an adult now or if its because the Kings have permanently broken me inside but I'm not nearly as broken up about this as I thought I'd be (whereas the Super Bowl loss to the Ravens left me a despondent wreck for a good month).
It’s weird. The Super Bowl doesn’t really effect me. Sure I’m bummed, but I’m not enraged, I’m not overly sad. I’m not going to be mad at anything Kansas City. Anything can happen in a single game, just so happens the wrong anything happened. Just like the last time.

Unlike like say... the 2002 World Series which I’m still bitter about and hold a special hatred in my heart for anything Anaheim Angels. Or Kings series’ from when they weren’t terrible.

Oh well.

im very disappointed but I’m quite battle tested as well. Obviously being a Kings fan is an advantage when your other teams have a meltdown.

i had kinda reached enlightenment on how to brace myself for these things before the Ravens super bowl which didn’t really hit me that hard. Though I was surprised the Niners lost that game. I thought the Niners would kick their ass unlike this game where i thought it was a toss up. The Seahawks NFC championship hurt more than that despite the stakes being lower.

It was the year before that I last tore myself to despondency after a loss. The Kyle Williams game vs NYG was the game where a couple of days later I decided I’m never going to feel that way about a sports game ever again.

21 points in the final 6 and a half minutes. The defense can take a little bit of the responsibility here. I didn’t say they had a dud of a game but it’s a hero to goat situation. They went from as good as we’ve seen them all year to as bad, they stopped making plays completely. We knew the Chiefs wouldn’t die but 21 points in 6 and a half minutes is something that I’m not willing to just grant against our defense.

the 57 second drive after the Cheifs made it 17-20 was a disaster as well as the indecisiveness at the end of the first half. Some crappy calls as well.
I expected a high scoring quarter somewhere in the game from the Chiefs - it was their signature- of course that 21 pts lopsided thanks to turnover on downs and the 49ers inexplicably not run-blitzing, but it was essentially over after they turned it over on downs.

I think the 49ers had their chance - they had enough time to call mis-direction runs, but they chose play-action passing. You gotta hand to the Chiefs defense - they played well enough to win in the 2nd half. And like I said Garrapolo didn't get it done.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s weird. The Super Bowl doesn’t really effect me. Sure I’m bummed, but I’m not enraged, I’m not overly sad. I’m not going to be mad at anything Kansas City. Anything can happen in a single game, just so happens the wrong anything happened. Just like the last time.

Unlike like say... the 2002 World Series which I’m still bitter about and hold a special hatred in my heart for anything Anaheim Angels. Or Kings series’ from when they weren’t terrible.
I think it's just due to the fact it's one game where anything can happen like the New York Giants randomly clobbering vastly superior Patriots teams on two separate occasions and you can take comfort in knowing that you'd beat the other opponents 9 out of 10 times as opposed to a slower burn multiple game series as seen in the heart wrenching occasions you mentioned where you are forced to reflect on either how much worse your team is tha the other squad or how inept your favorite team is.

2002 WS game 6 was a killer. That was a game where I had already taken congratulatory calls from friends and I still can’t describe what I was feeling as it fell apart. I just knew I didn’t give a damn about game 7 because i knew they didn’t have a shot after that. I didn’t mention it because it was almost 20 years ago and the Giants winning 3 titles in 5 years really helped me come to terms with it. Plus the Angels have been pretty irrelevant since.

Is Kyle Shanahan the new Andy Reid choking away important games in the worst way imaginable?
well, being the Andy Reid isn’t so bad anymore I guess lol. Hopefully it doesn’t take a couple of decades

We have a lot of reason to be optimistic. Namely I have a lot of faith in John Lynch’s ability to evaluate talent even with the less favorable draft positions now so this doesn’t figure to be as fleeting of a run as the Harbaugh era where he and Baalke were working with the talent a better GM had put together. Niners have a good window to work with. We had a lot of diamonds in the rough on this team that were steals. I expect the core to be back, but a little richer.

can’t think of too much i would change. Jimmy obviously missed Sanders and don’t get the ball to Kittle enough but I do think the Niners are fine with him and the best is yet to come with him as well. Jimmy didn’t get The credit for the strong season that he had. O-line might need some attention with some turnover and a more speedy shutdown man cornerback could really take the D to another level.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I think the years of Kings losing have prepared me for this outcome. I was really frustrated over the Ravens SB loss. This one doesn't sting nearly as bad. Upset, but not overly so. KC is a quality team. No shame in a loss, but the way they lost was frustrating. They should have been able to pull out a squeaker.

But how much of either of those is his fault? His defense just utterly collapsed in on itself on both occasions.
A lot of it his fault. Specifically the 28-3 collapse.

His play calling was largely responsible for the comeback. That, and Matt Ryan not making experienced QB decisions.

But I’d argue the 7-step drop pass plays he called in the 4th Q were the biggest bonehead decisions of the game. The first one resulted in the strip sack that started the comeback, then the 2nd was after the Julio Jones catch that should have sealed the game. The only thing the Falcons couldn’t afford was a sack.

But instead of a run or a quick pass and throw it away of it’s not there, Shanahan dials up the only type of pass play that could allow a big loss. You could argue that Matt Ryan has to know to throw the ball away, and I’d agree, but I also believe the OC has to take that out of the equation by calling a higher percentage play. The Falcons didn’t need to get a first down. So no need for the long drop back. Bubble screen, run play, quick out, anything like that would have been ok.

It was just like the Seahawks boneheaded slant call at the 1. Unlike many, I had no issue with them going away from their tendency, but a slant over the middle with all defenders near the LOS has a high likelihood of exactly what happened. Rolling Wilson out for a pass run option was the smart play, but they didn’t do it. But I digress.

Shanahan most certainly was a big part of that collapse with his situational play calling.

There was no hosing. Just choking. This wasn’t on the refs. This was the defense collapsing, Shanahan calling a lame late game, and Jimmy throwing balls into the defensive line when it mattered most.
I thought the offensive PI at the end of the first half was one of the softest things I've ever seen but aside from that I don't see much for anyone to hang their hats on.

One of the people where I was watching called the game turning on the 2nd and 5 play where they passed (5 mins remaining). My opinion at the time was there was too much time on the clock to even worry about keeping the ball from Mahomes and a TD was needed on that drive so who cares, but the fact that they then realistically had to pass on 3rd as well and failed to convert did in fact seal their fate.

The final 7 points was meaningless and frankly, they had to let them score just to get the ball back, so "21 points in 6 mins" is a meaningless stat. It was the first 14 that mattered. And they failed to get stops when it mattered most. Oh well.

No shame and I expect this Niners team to be here again soon.

To the Niners fans in this site, I feel ya. Been there, seen that many times with all the sports teams I root for.

I was rooting for KC, but I know numerous hard core 49ers fans and I feel bad for them. However most of them are old enough to remember most of not all of the 5 the franchise has already won — so I don’t feel over the top badly for them.

Conversely, I’m happy for Andy Reid and the KC fans. They’ve been a great fan base for all the time I’ve been following the NFL and hadn’t seen a winner in 50 years. Reid’s been a great coach for a long, long time and it is good to see him finally achieve ultimate success.

I wasn’t sold on Mahomes initially, but he won me over last season. He seems like a great kid. Hence reaffirmed his status as an elite level QB. Might be the best in the entire league. I do enjoy watching him play. He reminds me of my fav QB Dan Marino in a lot of ways. But now he’s got what Danny doesn’t.

Football is the ultimate team sport. Last season a mistake by Dee Ford prevented Mahomes and the Chiefs from going to the SB. Mahomes is no better today than he was last season. Same goes for Reid as a coach. Mahomes just got better support from his teammates and Reid got better performances out of his players. That’s what it takes to win a SB.