possible y-Seattle Seahawks -- 8-8 to 10-6
possible y-Arizona Cardinals -- 7-9 to 9-7
St. Louis Rams -- 3-13 to 5-12

x=division champ
y=wildcard
possible x=possible division champ
possible y=possible wildcard
possible x or y=possible division champ or wildcard

In the AFC I see the NORTH possibly taking both of the wildcard spots again. The reason being is that they play the AFC WEST this year which is a so-so division with a bunch of possible 8-8 teams which should boost the conference records. What does scare me though is that the AFC NORTH does play against the NFC EAST which is a pretty good division this year.

The NY Jets can get the wildcard too with a 9-7 record but I think this whole Tebow Mania in NY is going to cause strife within the team. The Jets are playing against a weak division as well AFC SOUTH which will give them a few wins, and the NFC WEST with I can see them going 3-1 to 2-2 against, but they do play the Patriots twice, and the Steelers on the road. 5 of their last 8 are on the road and the Jets are a bad road team. I can see them going 5-3 to start and then going 4-4 to finish.

The Chargers will be playing for a wildcard as well but they have a tough task because they play the AFC NORTH which is packed with defensive powerhouses in the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers.

As for the NFC I see this a wildcard mess. Detroit or Green Bay are both either guaranteed a division champ or a wildcard imo, and the 49ers are also guaranteed a division champ. After that I see Arizona, Seattle, New York, Dallas, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Carolina or Chicago all fighting for 2 division champ spots and 1 wildcard spot.

If I had to cross some off the list right away I would cross Philadelphia, Arizona, Chicago and possibly the Seahawks. That leaves Dallas, Atlanta, Carolina (my surprise team this year), and the New York Giants all fighting for 2 division champ spots and 1 wildcard. It's going to be a tossup with Atlanta and Carolina and I think the second place team will probably make it as a wildcard. As for the Cowboys and Giants I think the 2nd place team will miss the playoffs. The NFC EAST plays the AFC NORTH, and I feel they are going to beat eachother up pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys and the Giants each go 1-3 to 2-2 against that division. I can see the Giants going 3-1 though but I cannot see the Cowboys doing the same thing. The Cowboys might start slow with 6 out of their first 9 on the road. If they start off at 5-4 then look for them to take the division. I can see the Giants start 5-2 or 6-1 but after that they have road games against Dallas, Cincinnati, Atlanta and Baltimore and they are home against the Steelers and Green Bay. That's going to be a tough stretch.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with most of your AFC predictions, although the West is a mess and I couldn't really agree or disagree with any order they are put in at this point. I think the Chiefs are better than advertised, and I'm not entirely sold on the Manning-led Broncos just yet. I think they'll get off to a slow start, so it may depend on how they respond to it. Also don't think the Dolphins will get to 4 wins. I do agree that both wild cards will be coming from the North though.

As for the NFC, I almost completely(respectfully) disagree. But that's what I love about the NFL, there's so much disparity from year to year. Anyway, I think the Eagles actually show up this year and take the East, barring any serious injuries. Agree with the Packers and 9ers, but I think the Falcons take the South again, with the Saints taking one of the Wild cards. The other wild card will be a toss-up between the Lions, Bears, Cowboys and Giants. I'm very curious to see if Stafford can stay healthy for a 2nd straight year.

My NFL Crystal Ball

AFC East

New England 12-4
N.Y. Jets 9-7
Buffalo 7-9
Miami 4-12

AFC North

Pittsburgh 10-6
Baltimore 10-6
Cincinnati 9-7
Cleveland 4-12

AFC South

Houston 11-5
Tennessee 8-8
Indianapolis 5-11
Jacksonville 4-12

AFC West

San Diego 9-7
Denver 9-7
Oakland 8-8
Kansas City 7-9

Bold = Playoff Team

AFC Champion: New England over Houston

NFC East

Philadelphia 11-5
N.Y. Giants 10-6
Dallas 8-8
Washington 6-10

NFC North

Green Bay 12-4
Detroit 9-7
Chicago 9-7
Minnesota 4-12

NFC South

Atlanta 9-7
New Orleans 8-8
Carolina 7-9
Tampa Bay 3-13

NFC West

San Francisco 10-6
Seattle 8-8
St. Louis 6-10
Arizona 6-10

Bold = Playoff Team

NFC Champion: Green Bay over Philadelphia

Super Bowl XLVII Champion: Green Bay over New England

Last edited:
San Diego is going to be at the very least a 10 win team. The rest of that division sucks, outside of the Broncos maybe. I see the Broncos hovering at the 8-8 mark, IMO...Pittsburgh and Baltimore will be the only two teams from that division that will be playing past week 17. I see Cam Newton having a huge season, leading the Panthers to the division title, and a trip to Wild Card Weekend. The Saints are gonna struggle to establish a consistent and effective game plan, too many missing pieces, IMO. As far as my favorite team is concerned, I will start to give them a legitimate shot at anything more than "being relevant" once they rid themselves of Tony Romo. No division will see more than 2 teams play past week 17...

My predictions are pretty much on the same line as those of PurpleHaze, with one major difference and one minor difference.
Major Difference: Panthers over Falcons...
Minor Difference: I don't think Houston's ready, not just yet at least...AFC Championship game will be New England Vs Baltimore/Pittsburgh...With the winner going to New Orleans and putting up less points than the Green Bay Packers....

I expect the AFC West to be a dog fight this year. The Chargers should play like they are capable of and I see the Chiefs as sleepers, they also are getting Charles and Eric Berry back from injuries. The AFC North is going to be fun to watch also, I cannot wait til Monday Night Football BAltimore vs Cincinnati!

My Bengals and Kings are last and next to last :(

NOTE: This is now the official NFL discussion thread for the new season! - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Bengals fan in the house? say it ain't so...let's hope they don't disappoint us this year because I'm sure you know how they follow up their seasons after they make the playoffs -__-.

haha yep! Been a fan since 1981 or so when I was a wee toddler and wanted to root against my dad's 49ers in the Superbowl. We should be OK this year. No drama, best young receiver, great young QB, great defense (safeties scare me a bit though because Mays is our best and he's not that good). Also kinda upset Wharton is out for the year, but am glad at the same time we drafted Zeitler so we at least have someone to cover. I am liking what I see in that battle for the #2 receiver. Sanu, Hawkins, Binns, Jones, and Tate are looking pretty good in pre-season. I am kinda worried about our RB situation though. Not a huge fan of Green-Ellis and Scott didn't impress me last year.

honestly...I think our run game will not be very good this year and I read couple days ago that the center Cook might miss some time too. I mean based on what I've been watching so far in preseason, Dalton is running for his life out there, he doesn't get a consistent good pocket to throw the ball and as far as the #2 wide receiver I'd like to see Marvin Jones get a shot at it and put Sanu in the slot. I just hope it's not the same ol same ol Bengals because you've been a fan longer than me but history is not on our side, so we will see.

Hey mod, I think you should change the name of this thread to NFL discussion instead, I'm sure this thread will be useful since the NFL season is right around the corner and there really isn't much of a use for a Bengals thread when we can just discuss in an NFL thread. I know there are numerous football fans on these forums too so it would make for some good topics.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey mod, I think you should change the name of this thread to NFL discussion instead, I'm sure this thread will be useful since the NFL season is right around the corner and there really isn't much of a use for a Bengals thread when we can just discuss in an NFL thread. I know there are numerous football fans on these forums too so it would make for some good topics.
Done. We generally have a NFL discussion thread so this just kicks it off at almost the perfect time. :)

GO NINERS!!!

Done. We generally have a NFL discussion thread so this just kicks it off at almost the perfect time. :)

GO NINERS!!!
Damn I've been slow starting this thread this year :p. Might be a good idea to merge the predictions thread with this one as well. No need to have 2 separate NFL threads, no matter how awesome the NFL is

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, that was a good one. They clearly played better than the Packers.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8361407/the-niners-run-green-bay-rest-notable-news-week-1-nfl

Also, I really am not liking having the replacement refs. They're probably not even that much worse than the regular ones, but they stress me out and it makes every controversial call that much more frustrating.
What bothers me is the late whistles. It's almost like they're getting fed info from the sidelines or a booth somewhere.

What bothers me is the late whistles. It's almost like they're getting fed info from the sidelines or a booth somewhere.
I think they're just really unsure, so instead of reacting instinctively they think about it and second guess themselves.

Which is understandable to a degree, but incredibly frustrating to watch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they're just really unsure, so instead of reacting instinctively they think about it and second guess themselves.

Which is understandable to a degree, but incredibly frustrating to watch.
While I'm really pretty sure you're entirely correct, I do have to at least bring up the first conspiracy theory for the new NFL season. :)

Two observations from the two games I could watch.

1) Holy Hell, the Pats have a running game!!! First time since 2003-2005. And maybe some gamechanging rooks on D???
2) I will never get used to rooting for Peyton, but he got Tebow out of Denver so I tip my hat.

Two observations from the two games I could watch.

1) Holy Hell, the Pats have a running game!!! First time since 2003-2005. And maybe some gamechanging rooks on D???
2) I will never get used to rooting for Peyton, but he got Tebow out of Denver so I tip my hat.
And the Chargers may actually have a competent special teams! Weird times we live in...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Damnit that sucked as a Raiders fan. Aside from Palmer/McFadden, we have one of the more impotent offenses out there. Being a Kings/Raiders fan was awesome in 99-02. Been downhill ever since. Ugh.

They may have shanked a few important kicks over the years, but haven't they always had a good return game? Not sure about coverage going the other way.
They've had good returners (Sproles) but I can't recall him ever taking one to the house in a Chargers uni, maybe a punt. Either way, I was referring more to the coverage side of things, and they actually blocked a punt last night (no thanks to the long snapper). I don't recall ever seeing them do that. As for FG's, Kaeding is only inaccurate in the playoffs, which was a big deal when they were 14-2 and SuperBowl contenders. If this team makes the playoffs at all, I'll be happy.