NFL discussion thread for 2015-2016

VF21, do not read further...

I think Alex Smith is the best case scenario for Gabbert at this point. Hopefully they draft a QB this offseason as Harbaugh did when he took over and if we're lucky Gabbert is competent and can keep being decent while the rest of the team gets better. But the ultimate hope should be that the drafted QB wins the job over Gabbert like Kaepernick did over Smith.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I think Alex Smith is the best case scenario for Gabbert at this point. Hopefully they draft a QB this offseason as Harbaugh did when he took over and if we're lucky Gabbert is competent and can keep being decent while the rest of the team gets better. But the ultimate hope should be that the drafted QB wins the job over Gabbert like Kaepernick did over Smith.
Well that pretty much guaranteed I'd read the whole post. :p

If Gabbert is competent until (and only until) we can get an upgrade, I'm okay. It's settling for someone who you guys seem to think has the same ceiling as Alex Smith that doesn't sit well. (And I'm not even going to bring up the Aaron Rodgers reference...)

To be fair, Smith has actually been pretty decent in the last few years (45-21-1), and Gabbert was pretty much written off, so if he could be an average starter like Smith is then that's great.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To be fair, Smith has actually been pretty decent in the last few years (45-21-1), and Gabbert was pretty much written off, so if he could be an average starter like Smith is then that's great.
I don't want to be fair. I don't like Alex Smith, I didn't like Alex Smith, and I'm not going to like Alex Smith. Every time I see Green Bay I feel all sad inside, and I blame Alex Smith. (And yes, I'm fully aware that's totally irrational and unfair...)

I've heard him described as a "less cautious Alex Smith" and I don't think that's a bad thing. He's not the QB of the future but I'd take him for now over a mental midget locker room divider like Kap.

I don't want to be fair. I don't like Alex Smith, I didn't like Alex Smith, and I'm not going to like Alex Smith. Every time I see Green Bay I feel all sad inside, and I blame Alex Smith. (And yes, I'm fully aware that's totally irrational and unfair...)
I feel your pain but there's alot of revisionism over that draft amongst Niner fans to be honest. That wasn't Manning/Ryan Leaf. Nearly every team in the NFL passed on Rodgers. The only reason he was being talked about for the Niners was because of the hometown connection.

Green Bay finally took him in the 20's and he sat on the bench learning from Farvre for a couple years. He landed in a great situation with a great organization. Would he have developed the same if he was thrown to the wolves in the poopshow that is the York Niners?

Alex has turned out to be a pretty decent (not great) QB ever since he has had some good coaches (Harbaugh, Andy Reid) and some talent around him. He comes across as a nice, intelligent, hard-working guy so I've never understood all the ill will towards him for a situation that was clearly on the Yorks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel your pain but there's alot of revisionism over that draft amongst Niner fans to be honest. That wasn't Manning/Ryan Leaf. Nearly every team in the NFL passed on Rodgers. The only reason he was being talked about for the Niners was because of the hometown connection.

Green Bay finally took him in the 20's and he sat on the bench learning from Farvre for a couple years. He landed in a great situation with a great organization. Would he have developed the same if he was thrown to the wolves in the poopshow that is the York Niners?

Alex has turned out to be a pretty decent (not great) QB ever since he has had some good coaches (Harbaugh, Andy Reid) and some talent around him. He comes across as a nice, intelligent, hard-working guy so I've never understood all the ill will towards him for a situation that was clearly on the Yorks.
:VF21 stamps foot and pouts:

I don't care. I wanted Aaron Rodgers and they took Alex Smith.

The Giants/OBJ are making all kinds of excuses to the media about how the Panthers allegedly used gay slurs and had baseball bats on the sidelines. Very weak look. He acted like a reckless douche. Just take the punishment and correct your anger issues.

Charles Woodson announces his retirement.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14418391/oakland-raiders-s-charles-woodson-announces-retire-season

All-time great player, great Raider (and I'm not a Raiders fan.) I can't remember many skill position players having such a long career playing at a high level. I remember him winning the Heisman (as a defensive player, doubt we'll see that again) when I was in high school and he could still make a Pro Bowl 18 years later.

His final home game could also be the final game the Raiders play in Oakland.

I was watching the Patriots/Jets game earlier today. Can't figure out what Belichek was doing choosing to kick off in OT. Makes sense in the college game where you're guaranteed a possession to match your opponent, but in NFL OT a touchdown ends it. I woulda rather taken my chances with Tom "GOAT" Brady to win it than the defense.

Niners coach Jim Tomfoola when asked if the Lions were a step ahead in the second half:

“I don’t know that they were a step ahead. I mean, obviously, they were a step ahead.”

LOL.

I was watching the Patriots/Jets game earlier today. Can't figure out what Belichek was doing choosing to kick off in OT. Makes sense in the college game where you're guaranteed a possession to match your opponent, but in NFL OT a touchdown ends it. I woulda rather taken my chances with Tom "GOAT" Brady to win it than the defense.
Makes plenty of sense if your captain doesn't mess up and accidentally not take the wind. Even without the wind advantage it's basically 50-50 regardless of whether you kick or receive. If you feel like you gain a bit of an advantage starting on defense or picking which end to defend, then it's a smart move to kick. Just don't let your captain say the wrong thing.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There's a lot of discussion on what the right call was there, and if you're even allowed to take the wind, when you win the normal kick off, you actually choose to "defer" - which means the other team chooses to receive or else they kick at both halfs and then you get to pick a side and make the choice in the second half, that may not be an option in overtime since there is no second kickoff. So by choosing the kicking option the ref then gave the Jets player the option to choose a side as well.

Sorry run on sentence but hope that makes sense.

That would make sense if adverse weather was a factor, as it was in some of the previous examples, but it wasn't here. Temps were in the 60's with little wind. Belichek gambled on his defense to shorten the field for his offense, and lost.

On the other hand, since the modified sudden death OT rules were put in place in 2012, the receiving team has won only 34/66 (51.5%.) So it's not much of an advantage from that sample size. A Stanford study puts the win probability at 55% for the team receiving.

All the stories I've read, including the one above, indicated that wind was a factor. Regardless, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what Belichick was thinking here. 50-50 under generic circumstances means any other variables could easily tilt the decision toward kicking.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good games in the first round, and no home team won. Interesting...but the most influential play of the week had to be the missed FG by Minnesota that would have secured the win. Talk about bizarre.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I would say most influential play wasn't even a play but Pac Man being a dope. Uggh. I think I would have preferred the Pats to play Cinci. Who knows. If they are remotely healthy they were the best team in the NFL, after the Denver game they were pretty much decimated and lucky to finish the season.

Looking forward to Carolina and Seattle. Let's call that the bandwagon championship :D

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I would say most influential play wasn't even a play but Pac Man being a dope. Uggh. I think I would have preferred the Pats to play Cinci. Who knows. If they are remotely healthy they were the best team in the NFL, after the Denver game they were pretty much decimated and lucky to finish the season.

Looking forward to Carolina and Seattle. Let's call that the bandwagon championship :D
You're kidding me right? Do you even know what happened prior to that? from what I recall Joey Porter came onto the field without any repercussion at all and the refs decided to give a flag to Adam Jones instead of giving one to the both of them and having off setting penalties which would of then only remained a 15 yard penalty on Burfict.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You're kidding me right? Do you even know what happened prior to that? from what I recall Joey Porter came onto the field without any repercussion at all and the refs decided to give a flag to Adam Jones instead of giving one to the both of them and having off setting penalties which would of then only remained a 15 yard penalty on Burfict.
And if he had just sat on his hands it would have been a 15 yard penalty negating the one on Burfict. He's a dope.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
My facebook feed reacts to Chip:
Ducks fans who are 9ers fans seem to think this is a match made in heaven.

Ducks fans who don't care (they're probably Titans fans this week), think oh goodie, Chip gets another shot...

9ers fans that aren't Ducks fans think the team is screwed.

Hawks fans pretty much just LOLing about this.

I like Kelly better than many of the names floated out there. I'm concerned about how well the players will buy in, but if they do to a reasonable degree then the team should have a good chance to be good.

Also, with a lot of cap space the 49ers could have enough space for Kap, but Gabbert seems to be pretty close to a Chip Kelly quarterback himself. Could be either or both next year. Or could be a drafted qb, which I still wouldn't mind.

It will be interesting to see who is brought in as defensive coordinator, or if Mangini stays. The Bee guy keeps mentioning that the Eagles were at the bottom of the league in defense all three years Kelly was there. But just like the Adelman/Webber/Divac Kings, if you adjust for pace the numbers show something different. (Unlike those Kings, they just show the Eagles to be average rather than great.) The 49ers had a very bad defense despite some good games, so they'll need to be better and be able to handle the pressure of a faster paced game with more plays and more possessions.