NFL discussion thread for 2014-2015

We paid a lot for Kaepernick. He isn't showing he is worth the contract. It's not just one game.
I agree. And Harbaugh made it all worse by saying Kap was a "great QB" - repeating several times in media session leading up to Seattle game. Cap is a good QB, just like Alex Smith was and is a good QB. Great is reserved for QBs like Brady, Rodgers, and such select few. I predict Harbaugh is not with Niners next season if this slide with his "great QB" continues. Cap has proved he can be damn good, but it's been awhile since we've anything approaching it.

Harbaugh is almost 100% gone unless they win out. And I mean win out including the super bowl. Anything less, he's gone for draft picks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought it was obvious that when Kap got paid the team would slide. I think that is about to happen with Seattle too.

Running Harbaugh out is a mistake. I will be upset if he winds up in NY with the Jets, since I always liked him.

The thing about Kaepernick and Harbaugh is that they're both above average at what they do. It's generally not a great idea to get rid of someone like that unless you have someone else above average ready to replace them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Considering Kaepernick just got a nice pay day in the offseason, he is the QB for the 49ers for the forseeable future...just have to have him become less of a passing QB and more of a game manager I suppose with solid running and defense.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The thing about Kaepernick and Harbaugh is that they're both above average at what they do. It's generally not a great idea to get rid of someone like that unless you have someone else above average ready to replace them.
Earlier in the season there were rumblings that players were not happy with Harbaugh. That was squashed quickly. Just a couple games ago, Brooks took himself out of a game for some unclear reason. Last night I saw a rumor on TV that Harbaugh was going to be traded. There are signs that the players and maybe the FO is not happy with Harbaugh.

Also, we have Vic Fangio who could step in as a head coach. Already people are stating that he will probably leave the Niners as he is skilled enough to be a head coach.

There's something fundamentally wrong with the 49ers offense.

The Niners have been trying to move to a WR oriented passing attack, and it seems the more they go that way, the worse the offense looks.

Alex focused on Vernon and Frank in passing. When it finally started working under Harbs, it produced steady but unspectacular results - which is really all you need with a great D. Chewing clock, limiting turnovers, consistent (if low) point production.

It's clear that under Kap the regime is looking for something explosive. No longer a ground and pound team that uses short passing routes to continue the slow downfield grind, the Niners loaded up on receiving threats and 'opened the play book,' which in theory would create an array of downfield bombs to exploit confused defenses but has instead resulted in an offense that is itself confused, passes landing in empty grass, and a line that is suddenly inconsistent, obviously from injuries but also likely from blocking schemes that shift too often and too dramatically.

I still believe in Harbaugh but they have to recognize that the offense this year is an absolute failure. They need to get back to basics and give up in this failed dream.

The fades to Crabtree in the SB are emblematic of a problem that has dogged this team under Harbaugh, and is just now on full display (attenuated by the decline of run production from Frank and Colin, which had been masking the passing game problems the last two years).

I can't say what that means for the coaching staff, but the offensive philosophy needs to change, one way or the other.

Considering Kaepernick just got a nice pay day in the offseason, he is the QB for the 49ers for the forseeable future...
Except that they can pretty much cut him loose at any time without repercussion. So if he isn't earning that contract, they dump him and move on.

While he isn't playing great this year (around 18th in the league), that's likely more of a blip than a long term thing, and he's still probably a top 10 or 12 QB. The problem is that even though his salary is big, it's a salary that you'd expect for a top-10 guy. So it's not like they would be overpaying him.

He'd have to maintain the decline from this year for at least another year for them to consider letting him go. But if he does, there's nothing about his salary that means he must be the QB. In fact, if he continues this decline, then his new contract will be the reason they do move on.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't really think he is the problem here though. I think a new scheme needs to be implemented on the offensive side, whether that's getting rid of Harbaugh or not remains to be seen. I expect a lot of Carlos Hyde next season because Frank Gore is on his last leg.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't really think he is the problem here though. I think a new scheme needs to be implemented on the offensive side, whether that's getting rid of Harbaugh or not remains to be seen. I expect a lot of Carlos Hyde next season because Frank Gore is on his last leg.
That's why I blame Greg Roman, the offensive coordinator for the Niners. He's Harbaugh's guy from Stanford and I think he's being given way too much leeway and control.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So...the Niners fall for the tackle eligible play and a 335-pound lineman gets the touchdown.

It's gonna be a long day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Raiders, who got thumped 52-0 last week, are now leading the Niners 23-13. If this is all a bad dream, I really need to wake up soon.

:(

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And it ends with a sack. Has there been a year where Kaepernick has been sacked so often? It's very odd and ....... icky!

This article appeared couple days before Kaepernick debacle in Oakland. Winged a weird pass for INT on second play of game and then at the end threw one right to Charles Woodson. Kap looked like a rookie from Nevada-Reno or maybe just a Nevada-Reno QB still playing in Mountain West Conference. Meanwhile that Fresno State rookie QB Derek Carr looked absolutely incredible in leading his team to the victory. Carr is destined to be very good, maybe great. Has everything, strong arm (as strong as Kap), accurate (not something Kap known for), poised leader (again, Kap lacks) and passes from the pocket or on the run with same arm motion, same down field vision (Kap just can't do it as good.) This from a Niners fan - but my eyes don't lie to me.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-world-starting-turn-colin-221424603.html

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This article appeared couple days before Kaepernick debacle in Oakland. Winged a weird pass for INT on second play of game and then at the end threw one right to Charles Woodson. Kap looked like a rookie from Nevada-Reno or maybe just a Nevada-Reno QB still playing in Mountain West Conference. Meanwhile that Fresno State rookie QB Derek Carr looked absolutely incredible in leading his team to the victory. Carr is destined to be very good, maybe great. Has everything, strong arm (as strong as Kap), accurate (not something Kap known for), poised leader (again, Kap lacks) and passes from the pocket or on the run with same arm motion, same down field vision (Kap just can't do it as good.) This from a Niners fan - but my eyes don't lie to me.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-world-starting-turn-colin-221424603.html
I was shocked with his latest contract and now think that may set the Niners back for a long time. Isn't $60 mil guaranteed? Anyway, we seemed to give him the Boogie treatment and he wasn't Boogie. Maybe better yet, the people who evaluated him weren't like the Kings FO.

We'd be better off with Alex Smith.

Except that they can pretty much cut him loose at any time without repercussion. So if he isn't earning that contract, they dump him and move on.

While he isn't playing great this year (around 18th in the league), that's likely more of a blip than a long term thing, and he's still probably a top 10 or 12 QB. The problem is that even though his salary is big, it's a salary that you'd expect for a top-10 guy. So it's not like they would be overpaying him.

He'd have to maintain the decline from this year for at least another year for them to consider letting him go. But if he does, there's nothing about his salary that means he must be the QB. In fact, if he continues this decline, then his new contract will be the reason they do move on.
He was 22nd in QBR BEFORE today. He's well into the bottom 1/3 of NFL Qbs.

I was shocked with his latest contract and now think that may set the Niners back for a long time. Isn't $60 mil guaranteed? Anyway, we seemed to give him the Boogie treatment and he wasn't Boogie. Maybe better yet, the people who evaluated him weren't like the Kings FO.

We'd be better off with Alex Smith.
Don't recall all the contract details but I think only around $13 mil was guaranteed with Kap receiving $12 mil signing bonus. Thus Niners could cut him tomorrow and "only" be out around $25 mil of the total $123 mil bloated contract.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I take it this means the $60 mil isn't guaranteed.

Edit: that doesn't sound as bad as I thought.

I sure had it wrong.

http://deadspin.com/colin-kaepernicks-126-million-contract-is-remarkably-1586520353

At this time, he is hurting us. I had harsh words for Alex Smith but never thought he hurt us. He just wasn't exciting. I feel much. much better. We don't have the quarterback of the future but he doesn't hurt us like I imagined.

Last edited: