NFL discussion thread for 2015-2016

I like the Niners uniforms in the Steelers game. Big improvement over opener. Need to trade the offensive and defensive teams in for whatever we can get.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Glad the Seahawks lost too. Takes some of the sting off of the Niner's performance. And now the Cowboys are out two of their stars? Wonder how that is going to go....

Unbelievable number of penalties so far this early season. Is it still preseason or something? In one game watching there was flag on five consecutive plays. Many times refs calling two or three penalties on a single play. Overall very sloppy league wide in this version of current NFL - National Flag League!

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
My wife is a cowboys fan and turned my oldest son into a diehard cowboys fan. Very sad :(

The 49ers need to adjust better to the defense, Kaepernick was terrible on mid-range targets, I think he should have gone with more short quick routes. It's still early so I won't count em out yet! In the meantime the Raiders are exciting and there is always anticipation of the next Hayne play (if it's garbage time why not play him more at RB) .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My wife is a cowboys fan and turned my oldest son into a diehard cowboys fan. Very sad :(
Ouch. My daughter is a Cowboys fan, which is bad enough. She married a Seahawks fan so I can totally feel your pain, as my two granddaughters are diedhard Hawks fans, too.

Honestly? Because it contributed absolutely nothing to the thread. You haven't participated in any NFL discussion thread before, so coming in at this juncture to make a troll-like comment was a fail.
LOL Ok. You are the ruler here, I'll step aside.

I'll say this - It wasn't a troll comment, but you can think that if you'd like. I am a niners fan and I am appalled at this team.

I was never sold on Kap as a franchise QB because I thought his playstyle didn't lend itself to a long career. Instead they neutered him before he even got a chance to get injured but after paying him. Absolute genius move by the braintrust that has destroyed a team 3 years removed from a SB appearance and that was in title contention two seasons ago.

I was never sold on Kap as a franchise QB because I thought his playstyle didn't lend itself to a long career. Instead they neutered him before he even got a chance to get injured but after paying him. Absolute genius move by the braintrust that has destroyed a team 3 years removed from a SB appearance and that was in title contention two seasons ago.
Their move to pay him was actually "genius". They set it up so they can cut him after the season without any cap ramifications. Not sure how much smarter you can be.

And to be honest, I don't know if you can blame them for the team's demise. I think the coaching hire was suspect, and the deterioration of the O-line could have been prevented by pushing harder for Iupati or drafting better. But all the retirements and injuries weren't really on the front office, and I can't blame them for Kaepernick's regression either.

Their move to pay him was actually "genius". They set it up so they can cut him after the season without any cap ramifications. Not sure how much smarter you can be.
You can pretty much do that with any contract in the NFL, and I thought it was 6.5 million they'd still be on the hook for, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Point is they made some hard decisions cap wise to pay Kap that can't be undone.

Some of the unexpected/early retirements had to have come from players becoming disillusioned with what they saw between Harbaugh and the FO.

The Harbaugh stuff might have influenced some folks a little, but guys don't just retire for reasons like that. Maybe Justin Smith would have stayed one more year, or maybe Anthony Davis wouldn't have taken a year off, but probably not.

Honestly, it's not the end of the world to have a down year. It certainly could make it easier to rebuild more quickly. There are some nice young pieces on the team, and if they can get a franchise quarterback in the upcoming draft they might be set again for awhile.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Honestly, it's not the end of the world to have a down year. It certainly could make it easier to rebuild more quickly. There are some nice young pieces on the team, and if they can get a franchise quarterback in the upcoming draft they might be set again for awhile.
So you're saying you don't think Tomsula is suffering from delusions of adequacy?

A down year is fine if you believe that the FO is competent and not a complete wreck.
I absolutely do and I don't know why people would think otherwise.

So you're saying you don't think Tomsula is suffering from delusions of adequacy?
I'm not a huge fan of Tomsula. He hasn't shown himself to be terrible in my opinion, but he certainly hasn't done anything good and I didn't have high hopes to begin with. But assuming this is a down year, I don't think that's a problem. At the very least he should be able to maintain some semblance of calm in the locker room. I'm not sure I want him sticking around longer than one more year, though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Anthony Davis is returning next year and Patrick Willis is seriously thinking of it. So says Bleacher Report. I am hoping Joe Montana will come out of retirement also.

Thank you, Blaine Gabbert.

NINERS!!
Blaine Gabbert is not Plain Gabbert, formerly some anonymous backup QB. Had been Jax Jaguars starting QB couple seasons, originally NFL top prospect coming out of University of Missouri. Kind of reminds me of best of Alex Smith-clone very capable game manager, surprisingly athletic (like Alex), can make the deep throw but more comfortable working accurately underneath, reading defenses, just moving the chains (ditto Alex). May not be Niners ultimate answer at QB but they could have done whole lot worse and clear improvement over what they were getting at comatose QB position before the switch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Blaine Gabbert is not Plain Gabbert, formerly some anonymous backup QB. Had been Jax Jaguars starting QB couple seasons, originally NFL top prospect coming out of University of Missouri. Kind of reminds me of best of Alex Smith-clone very capable game manager, surprisingly athletic (like Alex), can make the deep throw but more comfortable working accurately underneath, reading defenses, just moving the chains (ditto Alex). May not be Niners ultimate answer at QB but they could have done whole lot worse and clear improvement over what they were getting at comatose QB position before the switch.
Please do not harsh my mellow by comparing him to Alex Smith. Thanks.