27 San Diego Chargers * 11 5
28 Jacksonville Jaguars * 11 5
29 Green Bay Packers * 13 3
30 Dallas Cowboys * 13 3
31 San Francisco 49ers (from Colts) * 13 3
32 New England Patriots * 16 0

* Subject to playoffs
# Subject to coin flip

A couple things to note and a question. New England's #32 pick has been forfeited due to "camera-gate". The Colts getting knocked out in the Divisional Round improved the 49ers pick. I think we will pick #28.

Why is the Cowboys #22 pick from the Browns subject to the playoffs? The Browns didn't make the playoffs. They had a better record then the Redskins and the Bucs, but since they were both knocked out in the wild card round I am assuming that the Browns pick would be set at #22. Could it have gone up to #20 if Tampa and Washington made it out of the first round?

Maybe I just answered my own question.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm almost certain the NFL does not change picks based on playoff standings, only the superbowl winner who picks last. So the only way the Colts pick goes up is if a team other than the Patriots win.

I'm almost certain the NFL does not change picks based on playoff standings, only the superbowl winner who picks last. So the only way the Colts pick goes up is if a team other than the Patriots win.

It'll be the 30th or 29th pick, I read multiple places say the 2 teams in the superbowl pick last. So since the Colts won't be in the superbowl atleast one of them will pick after the 9ers. I read from Maiocco's blog I think that if the Giants and Chargers make the Superbowl, the 9ers pick 28th, if the Chargers make it vs the Packers I think they pick 29th and any other scenario is 30th but I may be wrong. But it will atleast be #30.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It'll be the 30th or 29th pick
You're right, I thought the loser of the Superbowl still got whatever pick they were supposed to but I double checked. So unless the Pats lose to the Chargers they are picking 30th. I guess stranger things have happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I got the information from nfl.com so I have to assume they know what they're talking about.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I was actually replying to C-Diddy who suggested they would pick 28th. The highest they can move up is 29th, and that requires a Patriots loss which is unlikely (but totally possible).

According to Matt Barrows (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/010097.html) and Matt Maiocco's blogs, it looks like our information here wasn't quite accurate.

Reverse ordering for playoff teams goes by:
1. Super Bowl Winner
2. Super Bowl Loser
3. Record
4. How deep into the playoffs the team went
5. Strength of Schedule

Green Bay, Indianapolis and Dallas all missed the Super Bowl and all were 13-3. So since the Packers advanced further in the playoffs than the Colts and Cowboys, they pick after those two teams. Colts pick after Cowboys based on strength of schedule. The Giants and Patriots' picks would be after the Packers:

32. Super Bowl Winner (Patriots forfeited though so this pick won't exist)
31. Giants
30. Packers
29. 49ers (from Colts)
28. Cowboys

In summary, the 49ers will get the 29th pick even though New England won.