NFL 2024-2025 Thread

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Assuming the Niners work out an extension for Aiyuk, I think Deebo is for sure gone next season. After that there will be some tough decisions to be made.
Im actually fine with that. I wanted Deebo traded during his drama offseason because the world could see the salary crunch coming.

Brock pulled off two consecutive comebacks in the postseason and then went blow for blow with Mahomes until the Niners defense decided to roll over and let Mahomes go down the field.
Was it the defense that "rolled over", or was it the dude (or dudes) who were responsible to allow Pat to orchestrate a Super Bowl winning third drive in overtime by not electing to go on offense first and put the pressure on the Chiefs offense to then march down and match your team's production that "rolled over"???

Brock pulled off two consecutive comebacks in the postseason and then went blow for blow with Mahomes until the Niners defense decided to roll over and let Mahomes go down the field. He and Jimmy are not even remotely the same lol
There's literally ZERO comparison here. I don't understand some people's desire to even entertain the idea of comparing Brock to Jim.

Jim sucks. Brock does not.

Cause Tua just got paid $53.1 million a year and jordan love got $50+.

We have kyle shannahan who can go to the super bowl with jimmy g. The 49ers are not just gonna willingly pay Purdy what he's gonna command next offseason. Its all kinda common sense to me.

Barnwell points out the QB is the most important position in American Football (and he claims sports generally which is debatable). When your QB is middling (read Jimmy G), doesn't matter if you have the best coach in the NFL its too large a handicap. You can still win with handicaps, but your chances take hits before stepping on the field. The 49ers lost last year on a handful of plays - and you could easily point to 1st quarter McCaffrey fumble as the main culprit - the tie at the end of regulation indicates so in hindsight. They lost on offense (mainly FGs instead of TDs) where they had the edge - the Chiefs defense won the game on a handful of critical plays. And the 49ers defense played much better than I expected. Purdy played well, but not great - still he has a great work ethic and lack of complacency driving him. Purdy is working on his strength which is an interesting focus - he wants to be harder to tackle and improve arm-strength. Yes ludicrous salaries continue as we pay for and spend our time watching and supporting sports. You pay for results, and Purdy has helmed those results. And you also pay for youth which is also on Purdy's side. Check and check.

Assuming the Niners work out an extension for Aiyuk, I think Deebo is for sure gone next season. After that there will be some tough decisions to be made.
Pearsall was drafted with that positional dilemma in mind - although I'm still disappointed the 49ers didn't go for CB Nate Wiggins - 1 pick away?! And the Ravens get him - though I'm pretty sure they were gonna pick Pearsall anyway.

Was it the defense that "rolled over", or was it the dude (or dudes) who were responsible to allow Pat to orchestrate a Super Bowl winning third drive in overtime by not electing to go on offense first and put the pressure on the Chiefs offense to then march down and match your team's production that "rolled over"???

There's literally ZERO comparison here. I don't understand some people's desire to even entertain the idea of comparing Brock to Jim.

Jim sucks. Brock does not.
The 49ers lost the game on offense - a critical fumble (really a nice forced strip) in the 1st and getting stopped for FGs instead of TDs. I expected the 49ers offense to do better and they didn't - this year's Superbowl I thought they had the better balanced team (compared to 2020)- and the loss is hardly on Purdy, who had a "B" letter grade game - he did most everything he could without making any critical mistakes. Chiefs won the game on defense - while the 49ers defense played a very good game - much better than I expected, they forced the turnover in the 3rd, but the offense couldn't capitalize.

The overtime decision was a non-starter. Barnwell beats it to death here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...2024-decision-coin-toss-kyle-shanahan-mistake

I wasn't too disappointed in the loss - it was a razor close game. Although It certainly sucks losing to Mahomey and public enemy one Chiefs. Have tired of them for awhile now.

OT Tristan Wirf just signed a five year 140.63 million dollar extension with Tampa.

Oh man, Trent Williams is about to get PAID! He's got the 49ers over a barrel and there is nothing they can do about it.

Purdy isn't the most important guy on the 49ers, Trent Williams is. And Trent knows it. He deserves every cent he's about to get........

OT Tristan Wirf just signed a five year 140.63 million dollar extension with Tampa.

Oh man, Trent Williams is about to get PAID! He's got the 49ers over a barrel and there is nothing they can do about it.

Purdy isn't the most important guy on the 49ers, Trent Williams is. And Trent knows it. He deserves every cent he's about to get........
Are you Grant Cohn or something?

Purdy 1000% is the most important 49er and it's not close. QB's aren't even on the same tier of importance as the rest of the team. They're their own tier of importance to an NFL franchise

Are you Grant Cohn or something?

Purdy 1000% is the most important 49er and it's not close. QB's aren't even on the same tier of importance as the rest of the team. They're their own tier of importance to an NFL franchise
Anyone that pays attention to the 49ers knows who the most important player is on the team this season. Its Trent Williams BY FAR. Its not brock or CMC or Bosa. Are you serious? Do you even pay attention to the 49ers? Whats the 49ers record when Trent Williams doesn't play? What does our run game look like without Trent? What has our O'line looked like without Trent in camp?
Without Trent williams our o-line is the worst in the league, no questions. Without Trent, purdy is running for his life. Has no time to throw.

Its why the 49ers are in such a jam right now. They know Purdy is up for a huge contract next year but they know they have to pay JW. Its a necessity. He's gonna eat up money that was gonna go to Purdy next year but the 49ers have no choice but to pay him. JW IS the most important player right now because if they don't pay him and he retires, its lights out. You can't go into the season with the worst O line in the league. Your gonna get Purdy killed.

Id like to see you with that take over at the 49er boards.

Last edited:
Anyone that pays attention to the 49ers knows who the most important player is on the team this season. Its Trent Williams BY FAR. Its not brock or CMC or Bosa. Are you serious? Do you even pay attention to the 49ers? Whats the 49ers record when Trent Williams doesn't play? What does our run game look like without Trent? What has our O'line looked like without Trent in camp?
Without Trent williams our o-line is the worst in the league, no questions. Without Trent, purdy is running for his life. Has no time to throw.

Its why the 49ers are in such a jam right now. They know Purdy is up for a huge contract next year but they know they have to pay JW. Its a necessity. He's gonna eat up money that was gonna go to Purdy next year but the 49ers have no choice but to pay him. JW IS the most important player right now because if they don't pay him and he retires, its lights out. You can't go into the season with the worst O line in the league. Your gonna get Purdy killed.

LOL.

Sure, link me the forum. I've been telling people they're wrong on sports forums pretty much since they became a thing on the internet.

This isn't to say that Trent Williams isn't one of the most valuable players in football and incredibly impactful towards winning. My point is any non-QB just doesn't even register close to the importance of making sure you have the QB position figured out. They're on another plane of existence.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

All of this may be true but Trent Williams is 36 and Brock Purdy is 24. You don't let Purdy walk so you can pay Trent Williams and it doesn't matter how good your LT is if you don't have a QB so what are we even talking about here? The 49ers need to find a replacement for Trent Williams regardless and until they do I think we all know that their offense is going to fall of a cliff when he retires.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
LOL.

Sure, link me the forum. I've been telling people they're wrong on sports forums pretty much since they became a thing on the internet.

This isn't to say that Trent Williams isn't one of the most valuable players in football and incredibly impactful towards winning. My point is any non-QB just doesn't even register close to the importance of making sure you have the QB position figured out. They're on another plane of existence.
Trent’s way closer to the same level of importance than you’re letting on. Without Trent, the OLine is a disaster and Purdy can’t do what Purdy does. But @hrdboild nails the age point, and you have to find a replacement. How important is a good QB if he can never show it behind a terrible line?

Trent’s way closer to the same level of importance than you’re letting on. Without Trent, the OLine is a disaster and Purdy can’t do what Purdy does. But @hrdboild nails the age point, and you have to find a replacement. How important is a good QB if he can never show it behind a terrible line?
How good were Trent Williams teams in Washington before he came here?

Of course he matters. I'd wager he's like among the top 5 non-qb NFL players in football. But as great as he is, it literally doesn't matter without a Purdy level QB.

Seeing Bourne+picks and Amari+picks as the framework.

Gimme Cooper, who's coming off the best season of his career and really isn't that big of a downgrade to Aiyuk. Like a top 15-20 guy vs a top 7-10 guy. Keeps your window open next season and helps you build around Purdy with extra draft capital.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Deebo extension isn't the problem right?

I don't think we've seen details of what he wants, but I assume he wants Hill/JJeff money and he's just not that dude.
Deebo extension was just more money we couldn’t use to sign Aiyuk to the big one. I always viewed his re-signing as a short-sighted response to his elite playoff run. That said I’ll walk back a little, at least until i see the numbers. I love Aiyuk. He isn’t Jefferson worthy.

Deebo extension was just more money we couldn’t use to sign Aiyuk to the big one. I always viewed his re-signing as a short-sighted response to his elite playoff run. That said I’ll walk back a little, at least until i see the numbers. I love Aiyuk. He isn’t Jefferson worthy.
Saw there's 8 WR's making at least 25 AAV. As long as we're somewhere in that range, it's a fair contract because that pays him like the top 8-10 WR that he is.

Also, I'm pretty sure we COULD sign him to whatever we wanted. It'd just cost us somebody else down the line. But that was probably always the case with him.

Probably the comparison you're looking for is like a Deebo vs an Armstead.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Saw there's 8 WR's making at least 25 AAV. As long as we're somewhere in that range, it's a fair contract because that pays him like the top 8-10 WR that he is.

Also, I'm pretty sure we COULD sign him to whatever we wanted. It'd just cost us somebody else down the line. But that was probably always the case with him.

Probably the comparison you're looking for is like a Deebo vs an Armstead.
Man, I thought Armstead’s extension was also stupid. It was clear as day his huge success came from the superior talent taking all the attention next to him (Buckner).

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
Reports are Patriots have bowed out of their pursuit for Aiyuk

Im getting the drift he isn’t being reasonable with his demands…and Lynch is giving him the shot to see that other teams that are willing to trade for him aren’t necessarily ready to pay him more than what the Niners offered months ago.