NFL 2020-21 Season

Good of him to say. And perhaps he might. But if either of us had a nickel for all the players that thought the same thing but never did........

As a Niner fan, let me ask you and all the others here something. I saw this Shannon and Skip segment yesterday and while I don't believe the Niners would do it for a number of reasons, it actually made a little sense to me. Even though I think Skip is a buffoon 95% of the time.

What do you guy think about the idea of the Niners acquiring Tom Brady, should he part ways with NE??

Like I said, I can't foresee the Niners pulling the plug on Jimmy G, but I know a lot of fans recognize his limitations. And while TB isn't a spring chicken, there is some merit to his experience and leadership finding a way to lead that Niners team to a win had he been their QB last Sunday. With the Niners o-line, running game, and Kittle, Sanders and Deebo --- would Brady put SF over the top for the next season or perhaps even the next two seasons?

It's interesting to think about.

No way does lynch and shanny dump a young jimmy g for an aged Tom Brady. That would take some massive huevos. But I do have to admit, Brady back there instead of jimmy g in the super bowl wins that game. No doubt in my mind. Brady is a vet with the pedigree and he does not hesitate to change the plays at the line. Jimmy does not do that.

No way does lynch and shanny dump a young jimmy g for an aged Tom Brady. That would take some massive huevos. But I do have to admit, Brady back there instead of jimmy g in the super bowl wins that game. No doubt in my mind. Brady is a vet with the pedigree and he does not hesitate to change the plays at the line. Jimmy does not do that.
I completely agree with you. It is very, very unlikely to happen. Even the bozo Skip Bayless admits it won't happen. But he would do it since the window to get to and win a SB is often so short and fleeting. Sometimes it's better to do (legally) whatever it takes and forget about the optics of it or, really, even your future.

That's essentually what Denver did when they landed Peyton Manning. Of course they didn't dump someone like Jimmy G to do it, but they took advantage of a short window of opportunity and acquired a QB that wasn't going to be part of their long term future. It almost didn't pay off, either. Manning and Broncos lost to SEA the one stellar season he had there. It wasn't until the next season when they kinda won in spite of him that they got it done.

IDK, like you, I kinda believe that had Brady been behind center for the Niners this season instead of Garoppolo, they'd have won. Would the same be true next season or the next? Brady will be 43 before next season starts. And he looked like a declining QB most of this past season. And the Patriots even had a really, really good defense for most the year.

However, I think the Niners o-line would protect him much, much better. As would the Niners rush attack. Kittle would be akin to what he had and depended upon in Gronk. Any one of the Niners WR's could be his next Julian Edelman. Probably Deebo Samuel, who is an absolute run after the catch BEAST!

As Skip pointed out, Brady is the type of QB that would have no problem checking out of a pass to a run when the defensive situation calls for it. And someone like Shanahan would have a tough time bitching him out for doing it. 6 rings kinda says "I know what I'm doing".

Brady's connection to the Bay area and as a Niners fan growing up also makes it make sense.

That said, I get that the optics of dumping a soon-to-be 29 year old QB for a soon-to-be 43 year old one dictates that they won't do it (not to mention the coincidence of dumping the same QB that sat behind Brady in NE). They'd receive way to much criticism and heat if it didn't workout. But sometimes unconventional decisions have to be made to take the next step.

It's easy to assume the Niners will be back with the same team next season. But lots of teams think that way. However, NFL history suggests it doesn't usually work that way. Even the '85 Bears didn't reach the Super Bowl the season after they won it. And they had an all-time defense. Same goes for the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs.

I'm not a Niners fan, but if I was -- I think I'd be on board with the move. Brady is old and declining, but his 9 SB appearances in 18 seasons as a starting QB combined with the last appearance occurring just 2 seasons ago combined with how I view Jimmy Garoppolo would have me jumping for joy at the opportunity. If I was a Niners fan :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What makes any of you think Brady would come to SF? To answer the question, not only NO but HELL NO. I want no part of Tom Brady. Let him stay where he is.

What makes any of you think Brady would come to SF? To answer the question, not only NO but HELL NO. I want no part of Tom Brady. Let him stay where he is.
Joe Montana personally warned Brady about switching teams at this stage of his career. Id be very surprised if he ends up with a new team.

Agree, Brady may be the best QB to ever play, but I have come to dislike how he has berated his own teammates on the sideline or field from time-to-time. over his career. Unprofessional.

So it's hard to believe it but Tom Brady might not come back to the patriots.
Maybe it's time we finally make a high profile move and offer brady a two year deal?

Advantages:
1) Brady is a free agent, so we won't have to give up any assets.
2) He could be a solid 4 instead of injured Bagley. He's not that tall but in the small ball era everything is possible.
3) Proved value of veteran leadership and winner mentality. This is beneficial for our young group.
4) Excitement for us the fans.

Disadvantages:
1) He is over 40 so his athleticism is questionable.
2) Poor free throw shooting.
3) Will probably take up most of our cap space.

What do you guys think? Should Vlade go for it?

Maybe it's time we finally make a high profile move and offer brady a two year deal?

Advantages:
2) He could be a solid 4 instead of injured Bagley. He's not that tall but in the small ball era everything is possible.
3) Proved value of veteran leadership and winner mentality. This is beneficial for our young group.

Disadvantages:

never heard of him. pass.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Wait. WTF?

I merged your "Tom Brady" thread into the NFL thread before reading the whole thing. Now I've read it. I guess it's a joke but regardless it's not unique thread worthy... :oops:

Wait. WTF?

I merged your "Tom Brady" thread into the NFL thread before reading the whole thing. Now I've read it. I guess it's a joke but regardless it's not unique thread worthy... :oops:
Haha..
So that makes sense why you moved the post to another forum.
I intentionally posted it in the main kings rap forum. It's good and healthy for us to have a laugh once in a while.. :)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Niners keeping Armstead on a long-term deal. Huge for both sides. Niners would have taken a huge hit without him, and I think without the firepower of Bosa/Buckner/Ford surrounding him AA would have been a bust elsewhere.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Niners deal Buckner to the Colts, who immediately make him the second highest paid D-lineman in the league. In return the Niners get the 13th overall pick.
As much as I’ll miss DeFo, 21 million dollars a year is too much for your second or third best defensive lineman.

Also brings us one step closer to the BROsa d-line becoming a reality in 2021

Niners deal Buckner to the Colts, who immediately make him the second highest paid D-lineman in the league. In return the Niners get the 13th overall pick.
As much as I’ll miss DeFo, 21 million dollars a year is too much for your second or third best defensive lineman.

Also brings us one step closer to the BROsa d-line becoming a reality in 2021
Eh DeFo for sure the 49ers best defensive lineman.

But a necessary trade and gives me confidence the FO sees the long-term picture about how to keep a contending window open. If DeFo were up for FA and Armstead had 1 year left, I could easily see their fortunes being flipped and us keeping DeFo and trading AA. But we were essentially at 3 options:

-Go to cap hell keeping the boys together
-Lose AA for nothing, keep DeFo
-Resign AA, get value for DeFo

Would have loved to see another year of AA, Buck, Bosa and Ford together, but DJ Jones and Thomas should fill in adequately enough in that slot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Eh DeFo for sure the 49ers best defensive lineman.

But a necessary trade and gives me confidence the FO sees the long-term picture about how to keep a contending window open. If DeFo were up for FA and Armstead had 1 year left, I could easily see their fortunes being flipped and us keeping DeFo and trading AA. But we were essentially at 3 options:

-Go to cap hell keeping the boys together
-Lose AA for nothing, keep DeFo
-Resign AA, get value for DeFo

Would have loved to see another year of AA, Buck, Bosa and Ford together, but DJ Jones and Thomas should fill in adequately enough in that slot.
Don't know about that. By the end of the season, Bosa was getting double-teams, chip blocks, and even triple-teams thrown his way on every down and still making play after play. As good as he was, even considering Buckner's role in the middle of the line, DeFo never had that combination of gravity/gamebreaker-ness.

It's a moot point now since the Niners balked at paying him the second most expensive defensive player contract of all-time and moved him for pretty good value (Arik + Ward + 13th overall pick versus just Buckner) and future flexibility.

I don't get it but at least it isn't to an AFC team I guess. If they ponied up 60m over 2 years and gave him some personnel say then god bless their sweet little hearts.