NFL 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
My wife got my son, FIL, and me tickets to go to the Falcons-49ers game in a few weeks (early Christmas present). I am so stoked. Very excited to go check out Levi Stadium (have only been to a couple of 49er games at Candlestick before) and see this team play in person. Woohoo!!!

My wife got my son, FIL, and me tickets to go to the Falcons-49ers game in a few weeks (early Christmas present). I am so stoked. Very excited to go check out Levi Stadium (have only been to a couple of 49er games at Candlestick before) and see this team play in person. Woohoo!!!
You will have a great time! I was at the Seattle Monday night game and that place was loud. As loud as any game I’ve been to at candlestick. Parking......... if you don’t care about price there is plenty of it. I parked about a mile away for free. As I was walking toward the stadium I saw parking from $75 all the way up to $125 in the tailgating lots. If you get to the stadium when it opens you can check out the niners museum and still have plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere before the game. Have a great time!

Warhawk

Staff member
You will have a great time! I was at the Seattle Monday night game and that place was loud. As loud as any game I’ve been to at candlestick. Parking......... if you don’t care about price there is plenty of it. I parked about a mile away for free. As I was walking toward the stadium I saw parking from $75 all the way up to $125 in the tailgating lots. If you get to the stadium when it opens you can check out the niners museum and still have plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere before the game. Have a great time!
Thank you very much for the tips! If you don't mind sharing, where did you park? Depending on the weather, a walk might not be a bad thing.

Thank you very much for the tips! If you don't mind sharing, where did you park? Depending on the weather, a walk might not be a bad thing.
I parked on vista Montaná. It’s residential street parking. I parked facing north and was able to get right out and onto the freeway. Really really easy. And it’s free!
I dropped a pin on my map but it’s not letting me post a picture of it right now. Orchard way and vista Montaná. Good luck. You will have a blast because Levi is rocking right now!

Warhawk

Staff member
I parked on vista Montaná. It’s residential street parking. I parked facing north and was able to get right out and onto the freeway. Really really easy. And it’s free!
I dropped a pin on my map but it’s not letting me post a picture of it right now. Orchard way and vista Montaná. Good luck. You will have a blast because Levi is rocking right now!
Found it, thanks! No worries on the map.

I just read an outstanding post over at the patriots website from an old timer who coached football who broke down exactly what the ravens are running and why teams haven’t figured it out yet. He called it a rehashed version of the old single wing offense that was run in the 40’s. He broke down how his teams stopped it, down to what direction the line would have to break and how the patriots could stop it with their personnel. I also agree with what he said in closing. He has 100% faith That belichek and his coaching staff will figure out the ravens by playoff time. Now this doesn’t help the niners at all because I don’t think the niners coaching staff has the time figure out the ravens game plan but I fell confident that this ravens run will be extremely short lived.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I just read an outstanding post over at the patriots website from an old timer who coached football who broke down exactly what the ravens are running and why teams haven’t figured it out yet. He called it a rehashed version of the old single wing offense that was run in the 40’s. He broke down how his teams stopped it, down to what direction the line would have to break and how the patriots could stop it with their personnel. I also agree with what he said in closing. He has 100% faith That belichek and his coaching staff will figure out the ravens by playoff time. Now this doesn’t help the niners at all because I don’t think the niners coaching staff has the time figure out the ravens game plan but I fell confident that this ravens run will be extremely short lived.
Lamar Jackson was great in college too, I was hoping the Niners would draft him before they traded for Jimmy G mid-season and settled the QB issue. I find it curious though that almost all of these two-way star QBs peak in their second or third season and then drastically become ineffective. Either because of contact related injuries, losing a step due to wear and tear or putting on weight, or defenses just figuring them out all of these guys have had a quick rise and fall as elite signal callers. Cam Newton has been pretty good for awhile though, I suppose. And Russell Wilson but he doesn't run the ball as much anymore.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Lamar Jackson was great in college too, I was hoping the Niners would draft him before they traded for Jimmy G mid-season and settled the QB issue. I find it curious though that almost all of these two-way star QBs peak in their second or third season and then drastically become ineffective. Either because of contact related injuries, losing a step due to wear and tear or putting on weight, or defenses just figuring them out all of these guys have had a quick rise and fall as elite signal callers. Cam Newton has been pretty good for awhile though, I suppose. And Russell Wilson but he doesn't run the ball as much anymore.
I'd argue that it's not just 2-way QBs though they tend to stand out as they are more susceptible to injury and sometimes teams even shut them down when they are about to lock them into their second deal for big bucks. (arguably that was done with Kap; the other argument is that he never really was that good to begin with, not here to play that)

But even traditional "pro style" QBs drop off after hot starts and a lot is that as soon as you have to pay these guys you have to start making cuts all over the field. When people reflect back on the Patriots run I really think that more appreciation will be placed on Tom Brady never demanding to be the highest paid QB and how that always allowed high end talent to surround him. And once guys started to stand out they groomed replacements knowing they can't keep all of them.

One thing that stands out to me with the Ravens is that they've never really had terrific QB play. They've won two SBs with JAGs at QB (sorry Flacco fans, if you exist). So it will be interesting what kind of team they can field when they have to pay a top 5 QB salary in a few seasons.

hrdboild

Staff member
I'd argue that it's not just 2-way QBs though they tend to stand out as they are more susceptible to injury and sometimes teams even shut them down when they are about to lock them into their second deal for big bucks. (arguably that was done with Kap; the other argument is that he never really was that good to begin with, not here to play that)

But even traditional "pro style" QBs drop off after hot starts and a lot is that as soon as you have to pay these guys you have to start making cuts all over the field. When people reflect back on the Patriots run I really think that more appreciation will be placed on Tom Brady never demanding to be the highest paid QB and how that always allowed high end talent to surround him. And once guys started to stand out they groomed replacements knowing they can't keep all of them.

One thing that stands out to me with the Ravens is that they've never really had terrific QB play. They've won two SBs with JAGs at QB (sorry Flacco fans, if you exist). So it will be interesting what kind of team they can field when they have to pay a top 5 QB salary in a few seasons.
I agree with almost all of this so I liked the post, but the crack about Kap is unnecessary and why include it at all if you don't want to discuss it any further?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I agree with almost all of this so I liked the post, but the crack about Kap is unnecessary and why include it at all if you don't want to discuss it any further?
It wasn't meant as a shot, I didn't want to start a debate about Kap who can be polarizing. It's clear his numbers went down and at least some of that can be attributed to the 9ers becoming more conservative with how he was utilized. I just wanted to leave it at that without folks with agendas on either side going all in on what the reason is his numbers went down.

Warhawk

Staff member
I never played football myself but in high school we had an old-timer coach who ran this offense. Our team won section championships two of my years there. Just funny to hear about it being used in today's game.

Blair was playing great for the Niners and had a season-ending injury, so they were glad that at least Damontre Moore who almost earned a spot was available. So, of course Moore broke his arm against the Packers. Amazing how they keep winning with injuries up and down the roster. Please just be reasonably healthy for the playoffs.

Anybody have an email address for Robert Saleh?

hrdboild

Staff member
It wasn't meant as a shot, I didn't want to start a debate about Kap who can be polarizing. It's clear his numbers went down and at least some of that can be attributed to the 9ers becoming more conservative with how he was utilized. I just wanted to leave it at that without folks with agendas on either side going all in on what the reason is his numbers went down.
It just seemed like a way for you to express an opinion without allowing anyone to respond because that would be derailing the thread. That doesn't seem very fair to me. I don't think you intended it that way, but from my perspective the 49ers were one completion away from winning a Superbowl with Kaepernick at QB and 1 completion away from returning to the Superbowl the following season so that counts for something. The whole team went off the rails at that point with the coach fighting the front office and eventually getting fired (sounds familiar :)) and 3/4 of their starting lineup either leaving in free agency, retiring, or missing extended time with injuries. As a 49er fan I watched all of those games, I watched the entirety of Colin's career actually, and it would be wrong to point at just one player as the reason why the team fell apart in the three years after their Superbowl appearance. He probably wasn't ever going to be the superstar he was hyped to be when he first took over as the starter but that's sports culture isn't it? Hyperbole followed by reactionary criticism, rinse and repeat.

I think you made a good point about the salary issue. As soon as a guy gets a huge contract the expectation has changed and then the team starts changing the way they play and that's not always a benefit to the player. That's what I find interesting about these two-way QBs. People are fawning over Lamar Jackson now, but are we going to be dissecting his flaws as a pocket passer in two years right as he signs his huge extension? Seems likely. A lot of the all-time great QBs started their careers as unheralded backups on good teams and they were allowed the time to learn the system before expectations got out of control. Typically they had high level talent around them to throw the ball to and experienced coaches who knew how to use them. Football is such a team game yet every year we see multiple teams talk themselves into drafting a QB at the top of the draft who's going to transform them from a 1 loss disaster to a playoff contender. That's why I'm glad the Niners choose to build around the D-line this time. It took awhile, but the results are obvious.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It just seemed like a way for you to express an opinion without allowing anyone to respond because that would be derailing the thread.
Yeah my intent was just to show that the team changed to a more conservative style to protect their investment without getting into how good/not good he is. I thought he was on a superstar path when he was allowed to go full-go and the 9ers should have beaten the Ravens that day, by the end of the game it was pretty clear who the better team was.

Is there a rule against posting someone else’s content at another site? I’ll post the guys handle if that makes it better. It’s a long post but was so good. I’d love to post it here. He’s just a regular dude posting like all of us here........

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Blair was playing great for the Niners and had a season-ending injury, so they were glad that at least Damontre Moore who almost earned a spot was available. So, of course Moore broke his arm against the Packers. Amazing how they keep winning with injuries up and down the roster. Please just be reasonably healthy for the playoffs.
Even after all those injuries, the D-line depth is so great that Bosa, Buckner, and Armstead all playing like superstars is hiding the fact that DJ Jones has legitimately made the leap to one of the better defensive tackles in the league and no one really noticed that we were missing a Pro Bowler-level pass rusher in Dee Ford.

hrdboild

Staff member
Even after all those injuries, the D-line depth is so great that Bosa, Buckner, and Armstead all playing like superstars is hiding the fact that DJ Jones has legitimately made the leap to one of the better defensive tackles in the league and no one really noticed that we were missing a Pro Bowler-level pass rusher in Dee Ford.
That's why I'm not penciling in a defeat against the Ravens and their best in the league offense yet. What this D Line just did to Green Bay was almost unfair. They made Rogers look like he had no business on a football field and that's an MVP winner in the middle of another great season. Even those games against Arizona and Seattle where they gave up more points than usual were more a matter of penalties extending drives and the offense turning the ball over and gifting the other team half the field. Penalties were still a problem against Green Bay too. Supposedly the run defense is vulnerable based on the numbers but I think it's just a matter of pass coverage (and pash rush) being so good that other teams have no choice but to run the ball. We are our own worst enemy. If we can clean up the penalties next week and limit the turnovers I think we'll be in good shape. I'm not even surprised anymore when this line stuffs the ball carrier on a 4th and 1, I expect it.

Ok, so this is from patsfanken over at patsfans.com.
I just have to post this because it’s the best explanation I’ve seen of what the ravens are doing and how they can be beat. This is a cool post for real football nerds:

Now children just listen while Grandpa Ken schools you on some football history tonight.

What you are seeing from the Ravens isn't anything new at all. In fact it is very VERY old. The Ravens offense is just a rehashed version of the old single wing offense that was all the rage in the 20's, 30's, and 4o's, and didn't become dated until the early 50's when the wing-T formation began to come into prominence. This marks the tine when the QB starts the play from under C. Back when I coached, there was still ONE team in the area that ran the T and wing T into the late 70's. North Quincy HS still ran it, and it was a tough thing to stop since you only saw it once a year. And as the DC it was my job to stop it.

I wish it was 20 years ago when I still had boxes of my old game plans. I remember I had a great one for that week that worked beautifully, but that just about all I got. Here's what I DO remember about the single wing.

a. In its base form you'd have 3 backs in the backfield, 2 TE's. With a direct snap to a QB who was both the primary runner and passer. With all kinds of backfield movement and counter off it, you generally could create numbers advantages to one side or another. You could also run options off of it, and almost EVERY pass comes off a play action pass. The Ravens do the same thing only using a TE and RB, and sometimes 2 TE to go along with Jackson in the backfield.

b. I recall that we determined that looking into the backfield was a fools errand, though reading the line proved to be a solid key. So that would be my first thing. Break down what they are doing and come up with some line keys that give the LB's their first direction.

c. Some of this is coming back. IIRC when they were in a run situation, which was most of the time, we lined up in a 6-2. For the Pats it would come out as a 4 DL and 2 ILB's with 2 OLB's on the LOS with 3 DB's. With the secondary guys we have vs the receivers they have we can play something like this effectively, especially if they use the 2 TE's in the backfield like they did when they played us. I don't see us playing a 3-4 front.

d. WIN the LOS. It's actually coming back now. I had my 6 down linemen play head on the G, T, and TE's. I had my the guys on the OT's play off the LOS a yard, like the Cowboys of the 70's did with their DL. Then based on the keys, formations and motions the LB's would call out prearranged gap numbers and the DLmen would twist or hit gaps and really screwed up their blocking schemes. Hard to explain in words.

At any rate it worked far better than I had a right to expect. It was a one week fix. We ran a pretty standard 5-2 Oakie which is what they called the 3-4 back then every other game. In those days the 5-2 and the Penn State 4-4 were what most H.S's ran. AND now I'm rambling. Sorry

Here's the thing. Bill knows what this is. I know Jackson threw for 5 TD, but he STILL threw for only about 160 yds in total. So this is ALL about stopping the run, and stopping it from a SINGLE WING offense.

Give Baltimore credit for creating the perfect offense for the talent they have on hand. But this is working BECAUSE it is new, just like Bears' 4-6 terrorized NFL teams for 2 years, and Walsh his West Coast offense for a while. Remember the run and shoot. Well you probably don't but it killed for a nanosecond as well. There was even a moment in time when the triple option was used and was effective.

I bet Bill has guys researching old archives for the kind of single wing offenses that MOST resemble what the Ravens are doing and WHAT defensive concepts were most effective in stopping them.

We saw what this defense did to the top offense in the NFL last Sunday. I don't care if the Ravens beat the rest of their schedule 50-0, I trust that Bill will have them ready to play a special game against them.

I won't mind if the Ravens have their hour in the sun. Let the media crown their asses in December, JUST like they did KC last season. I LIKE being the underdog for a change, and I'm sure Bill will let his team know how much everyone wants them out of contention every week from now on.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
My guess is Bill didn't pull out all the stops in the previous matchup. There was a period that included the 18-1 season and I think ended with the last loss to Denver where the Pats got the best of the team that knocked them out in the regular season only to be outdone come playoff time. I think he now uses games against likely foes as scouting matches. Does enough to see how they react but makes the real adjustments in the playoffs. By the time this match was played I think the Chiefs had lost enough that he knew they'd likely be the favorites for the AFCCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.