NFL 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Meh, not his fault the replacement kicker kicked one of the worst FGAs in the history of field goals
Shouldn’t have played conservative on 2nd and 2 two plays in a row to give the rookie replacement a chance then.

He has questions to answer about that garbage OT gameplan.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nice to dream. Seattle just has the number. I’m sick of my teams being in one-sided “rivalries” where the rival wins every single time it matters.
It took the Niners missing all of their starting skill players aside from Juice (Brieda apparently sprained his ankle earlier in the game) and their kicker for the Hawks to barely eke out the win.

Disappointing but not surprising as by the second half No Kittle. No Sanders. No Brieda. Deebo has a strong game but options were fairly limited and Jimmy had less time than usual since Staley and McGlinchey were moving like they were in quicksand and were exploited all game.

Defensively the Seahawks played a little out of their heads for those reasons. I’m fairly confident the Niners have a better team than them but I got to hand it to Russell Wilson. He’s a playmaker and the Niners handled their last possession terribly.

I’m more concerned with all the injuries that were happening than the final result of this game.

Just got back from the game.
That game was the most disappointed I’ve been in so long. My section was full of hawks fans. So many........ They were confident from kickoff and we’re talking so much sh**. To lose the game the way they did.......omg. The dropped balls. The missed FG. Even Shanahan had to get involved by completely screwing up that last minute and a half. How the hell do you call 3 pass plays and give the ball back to russel Wilson with 1:20+? The hawks had no timeouts left!!!! You count your blessings and get outta there with a tie. That would have been just as good as a win for the niners!! Omg, that game took a couple years off my life.......

Nice to dream. Seattle just has the number. I’m sick of my teams being in one-sided “rivalries” where the rival wins every single time it matters.
So much of this.
I can’t tell you how disappointing it is to have a fan base that knows they are gonna lose. When our FG kicker was lining up for the game winner the dude behind us said, “don’t get too excited. He’s gonna miss, because we are playing the Seahawks.....”.
Omg, if I had hair I would have pulled it out!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Football is a dangerous sport. Every time I watch a game, I'm reminded that it's a minor miracle that my clumsy ass was able to get through playing four years in high school with only three broken toes, a couple concussions, a couple sprained MCLs, torn cartilage in my knee that required two years of rehab, and a bad shoulder that creaks when it's cold outside when I probably should've been dead.

I hate the Seahawks so much.

I'm not mad at Shanahan for the 3 pass plays on the final drive. He plays to win instead of playing not to lose, like so many of the Niners coaches have in the past. They wouldn't have been undefeated going into this game if Shanahan had been conservative at all this year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I'm not mad at Shanahan for the 3 pass plays on the final drive. He plays to win instead of playing not to lose, like so many of the Niners coaches have in the past. They wouldn't have been undefeated going into this game if Shanahan had been conservative at all this year.
Na, Kyle needed to understand the situation and that a tie would preserve the two game division lead. Run it 3 times, if you get a first down then go for the kill. If it gets stuffed, then times out and Russell Wilson can’t be Russell Wilson. This was an unforgivable botch.

And now week 17 could very well mean something. Week 17. Against Seattle. In Seattle. And you all know how that’s going to end. (Yeah, just realized I already made this exact point a few posts up. Still totally valid though)

just heard the best explanation of how shannahan screwed the pooch in overtime on the Game 95.7.
the niners are 4th and 1 at their 37. He said his kicker is 3 for 3 and up to that point the offense hasn't been able to do anything. We're missing sanders and kittle. Our run can't do anything, our receivers are dropping everything, and jimmy is rattled because McGlinchy and Staley have been on their butt all game. Clowney had 10 knockdowns last night. Only JJ watt has had more this season, 11. So Shannahan went conservative and elected to not go for the 1 yard and go for the FG. Missed it.
We get the ball back with 1:50 to go. NOW shannahan decides to trusts the offense? They are on their own 25 and the seahawks have NO TIME OUTS. Pass, incomplete. Pass, incomplete. Pass, incomplete. You give MVP candidate Russel wilson 1:20 to get 30 yards and get the win. It makes no sense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I remained completely baffled at the OT playcalling until I remembered this is the man who called the second half of the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl.

Coach chokes when it matters most.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm more upset about the refs getting the damn coin flip call wrong in OT (which very nearly cost us the game) and then getting the spot wrong thus forcing the 4th and 1 kick (that missed) than I am about anything the Niners did wrong. It's a little hard to QB when both tackles can't hold their blocks and all of your receivers are dropping the ball on crucial plays. It's a shame the defense played probably their best game of the year and has nothing to show for it. Going for the FG to win was the right call in that situation but it really should have been a 1st down anyway. Also, it's a totally different game if Kittle and/or Sanders are out there. I think these guys can still hold their heads high for the way they fought out there. Too many mistakes, to be sure, but they haven't played with those offensive personnel on the field together all season. That's just part of the game. We all wanted this one because, well, Seattle... but I'm not worried about ripple effects. Get guys healthy and the next match up between these two teams won't even be close.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Injury updates

EMan Sanders day to day with a rib cartilage issue.

Kittle day to day with knee.

Brieda “might miss some time.”

Blair tore his ACL.

Staley broke and dislocated his finger, might get surgery and miss a few weeks.

Carrol says Lockett might not even miss any games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Interesting. I hope people show up and he gets a chance. His play got hypercriticized and trashed for because of his personal choices. Dude was still a solid QB on one of the worst teams in recent history with those Chip Kelly Niners. 16/4 TD/INT ratio in his last year.
He hasn't played in 3 years. He says he's in shape and ready but unless he's been taking full contact practices there's no way that could be true. I think the ship has sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.