News from the NBA BOG meeting - April 2012

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Rather than boycott a whole game, which leaves a ton of season ticket holders high and dry, I'd suggest doing what football (soccer) supporter groups are known to do when they have been slighted, and that's boycott a half or a quarter. Just tell people to sit in their cars for the first quarter or half and when they finally do enter BUY NO CONCESSIONS OR MERCHANDISE. The football supporter groups tend to walk out mid game (causing a huge scene) rather than enter late but given the pace/importance of the final quarter it might make more sense to support the team by showing up late. The mass entry should have the same effect.

Rather than boycott a whole game, which leaves a ton of season ticket holders high and dry, I'd suggest doing what football (soccer) supporter groups are known to do when they have been slighted, and that's boycott a half or a quarter. Just tell people to sit in their cars for the first quarter or half and when they finally do enter BUY NO CONCESSIONS OR MERCHANDISE. The football supporter groups tend to walk out mid game (causing a huge scene) rather than enter late but given the pace/importance of the final quarter it might make more sense to support the team by showing up late. The mass entry should have the same effect.
That interesting, too - sell out the game and have nothing but crickets the first half.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will never insult the players on the team by not showing up. I would, however, be party to a symbolic boycott of the first quarter. I love my Kings; the ownership can take a flying leap.

alicia trost @aliciatrost
Steinberg on dead arena deal: I hope the NBA and its owners do not allow this kind of bad behavior to occur without consequences.

Why are you all so sure that the owners won't approve a move in a couple of years? Do you really think the other owners care so much about Sacramento that they'll block it? Of course not. Sacramento tried its best to build an arena. The city went way past what was expected, and what was even rightful, in their attempt to finance it. But even that wasn't enough. The city can't afford to put in more money, and the Maloofs refuse to.

Now it becomes a waiting game. How long do the Maloofs have until they become bankrupt? They apparently made a profit last year, so if they continue to keep this team in the dirt, paying minimum payroll, how long will it be until the BoG finally says "Fine, you guys can leave".

I don't see any hope in this at all. As far as I am concerned, the Kings are gone now. There is no chance of getting them to stay, unless some random investor came in to pitch the Maloofs' portion of the arena deal, which would never happen. Its game over.

Why are you all so sure that the owners won't approve a move in a couple of years? Do you really think the other owners care so much about Sacramento that they'll block it? Of course not. Sacramento tried its best to build an arena. The city went way past what was expected, and what was even rightful, in their attempt to finance it. But even that wasn't enough. The city can't afford to put in more money, and the Maloofs refuse to.

Now it becomes a waiting game. How long do the Maloofs have until they become bankrupt? They apparently made a profit last year, so if they continue to keep this team in the dirt, paying minimum payroll, how long will it be until the BoG finally says "Fine, you guys can leave".

I don't see any hope in this at all. As far as I am concerned, the Kings are gone now. There is no chance of getting them to stay, unless some random investor came in to pitch the Maloofs' portion of the arena deal, which would never happen. Its game over.
Your optimism is overwhelming.

How can we even be optimistic anymore? The writing is on the wall. The NBA doesn't have an anti-trust exemption like the MLB has for forcing owners to sell.

As long as the Maloofs continue having money to pay minimum payroll, they can't be forced to sell. Its only a matter of time until the BoG finally agrees to allow them to move.

How can we even be optimistic anymore? The writing is on the wall. The NBA doesn't have an anti-trust exemption like the MLB has for forcing owners to sell.

As long as the Maloofs continue having money to pay minimum payroll, they can't be forced to sell. Its only a matter of time until the BoG finally agrees to allow them to move.
Wonder if the NBA can force the Maloof's hand by making them repay the $70 million plus loan they took out from the NBA. I think the Maloofs is running out of money fast. NBA covered most of the $75 million for the arena, and they still balked. They were essentially getting a free new arena. That tells you something.

You really think the other owners would allow that? Of course not. If the owners allowed the NBA to do that to the Maloofs, then the NBA would be allowed to do that to all of the other owners who took our loans. There is NO way they will allow that to happen as long as the Maloofs continue to keep making payments.

The same goes for the loan from the City of Sac. Maloofs are making their payments on time, so the City isn't allowed to do anything about it, as said by the city manager today.

Its the end of the line. Most of you are still tipsy off the optimism from the March deadline deal. But now that deal is gone, and with it any chance of the Kings staying here. I'm sorry, because I love this team so much. It is going to be like losing a family member.

It seems the Maloofs backup plan was to become the Oakland A's. Sit in a decaying stadium with minimum payroll and wait it out until you have an opportunity to move and turn a buck on the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Until the moving vans are crossing the county line, I will continue to support MY Sacramento Kings. It's about the team I've loved since 1985, not the lying clowns who are majority owners. If you watched all the press conferences today, you can't help but be at least partially consoled by one thing: Everybody BUT the Maloofs gets it. They know how the fans feel about the Sacramento Kings. They know how hard the city of Sacramento worked to jump through all the hoops to get a deal on the table. They know that the Maloofs lied and misled a lot of people.

I am going to enjoy the rest of the season and hope for either Anthony Davis or MKG in the draft. I am going to support THE TEAM in every way possible, with the exception of buying any new Kings merchandise. I will attend games whenever possible but they're not going to get my hard-earned $$$ in the team store. My granddaughters will have to live without new Kings gear as Christmas presents. I have classic jerseys I can wear to show my support for THE TEAM.

I will continue to cheer for this team, all the while hoping for a meteor to strike the owners. And if that's wrong, I'm not sorry. They (the Maloofs) have ripped my heart out one too many times. They do not deserve anything from me but some of the same lack of respect they have shown to us, the fans, time and time again. How dare they lie to us as they tinkle on our legs and try to convince us it's raining?

My mother always told me that if I cannot say something nice about someone, I should say nothing. I suggest that is exactly what the fans at PBP should do should the Maloofs dare to show their faces again. Do not cheer, do not boo. Simply stand and be very quiet. Silence can be deafening and can send a very strong message.

F*** you Maloofs.

If I get a forum reprimand so be it. I will not attend another game this year, and will not re-up on the season tickets.

NOTE: I understand your sentiments but this is a family-friendly board. You can express your displeasure without making a post that opens the door to even worse comments. For that reason, your adaption to the Maloof name has been changed. - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
It seems the Maloofs backup plan was to become the Oakland A's. Sit in a decaying stadium with minimum payroll and wait it out until you have an opportunity to move and turn a buck on the team.
This will obviously alienate a ton of fans, so attendance has got to take a hit. So even if they made money this last year, next season has got to look like a losing proposition. I don't know how long that will take to keep them from making minimum payroll, though.

This will obviously alienate a ton of fans, so attendance has got to take a hit. So even if they made money this last year, next season has got to look like a losing proposition. I don't know how long that will take to keep them from making minimum payroll, though.
Question is what happens when they don't make payroll because they alienated fans intentionally?

This has to be one of the biggest **** jobs in the history of mankind.

For us fans to be put through what we went through last year, rally together and pull off the impossible and get an arena deal in place only for it to be snatched out of our hands on some bull****.

I really wish the worst for the Maloof family. I hope they lose everything. They are scum.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really wish the worst for the Maloof family. I hope they lose everything. They are scum.
I wish the Maloofs all they deserve. (This is a paraphrase of an old Gaelic expression my great-grandmother used to use that I didn't understand for a lot of years.)

Question is what happens when they don't make payroll because they alienated fans intentionally?
I think payroll thing is a bit overstated. Why? The Maloofs can simply trim even more down to bare bone to make whatever payroll is left viable. While they're terribly over-leveraged they probably could make some sort of minimum payroll for MSE - even selling some Well Fargo Bank stock (around 5 millon shares owned) if they had too, in order to stay afloat.

I think payroll thing is a bit overstated. Why? The Maloofs can simply trim even more down to bare bone to make whatever payroll is left viable. While they're terribly over-leveraged they probably could make some sort of minimum payroll for MSE - even selling some Well Fargo Bank stock (around 5 millon shares owned) if they had too, in order to stay afloat.
Yeah I thought of just trying to boycott so they don't make payroll but my guess is Samueli would secretly bank roll them until they could move or something so I doubt would work.

Yeah I thought of just trying to boycott so they don't make payroll but my guess is Samueli would secretly bank roll them until they could move or something so I doubt would work.
Not only that, but it could just hurt average Joe and Jill who work for MSE, the concessionaire folks, security guards, dancers, Slamson (even though Gavin might be undercover in that suit real soon), etc.

With the new revenue sharing it would be impossible not to make the payroll. However, if you asked me a decade ago I would have said it would have been impossible to pee away all of the Maloof wealth either.

The little thing that should not be overlooked here is that minimum salary this year is 80% of salary cap, that figure grows to 85% next season and 90% the season after. The interesting thing for me is what are the terms and conditions if they miss re-payments for their loans with the NBA and Sacramento.

If the miss a repayment for the loan to the NBA does that give the NBA the right to take over the ownership of the team? There would have to be some penalties there surely!

Not only that, but it could just hurt average Joe and Jill who work for MSE, the concessionaire folks, security guards, dancers, Slamson (even though Gavin might be undercover in that suit real soon), etc.
Yeah. LOL at the Gavin/Slamson part btw.

edit: I think a sell out but walk out or something might actually be good. Just don't show up for the first quarter or first half to voice your displeasure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, nice three by Jimmer! (I'm taking the tiniest glimmer of anything good right now.)

EDIT: Ooops. Sorry. I got excited and forgot what thread I was in. :eek: