[NEWS] Disney to buy Marvel

I feel some kind of way about this list including a villain, a guy who got murked in his first appearance, and a guy whose power is, "chauffeur," but no Captain Marvel, no Sif, no Heimdall, no Warriors Three, No Wong, or any Wakandans not named T'Challa. Hell, not even Mantis.
Agreed. $7 on Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Dr. Strange. Remaining $8 to page Captain Marvel, and take a peremptive flyer on Magik.

Apparently the power to get "all the cheeseburgers in the world" makes you a second-tier superhero in the MCU.

Last edited:
How is Vision only $1 ok I am all in on team $7. I'd probably grab Thor and Loki with the other 8. Are you kidding me with that kinda value? Is someone dumb enough to take Cap, Iron Man and Black Widow???

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Theaters are pretty much dead until COVID is anyways. There is no way in hell I plan to be in one anytime in the next 12 months.
Yeah, even as someone directly involved in the entertainment industry who has monetary interest in both attending and participating in theater events both filmed and performed, I have pretty much no desire to actually be in one for the foreseeable future and I live in a country that “has things under control”

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Theaters are pretty much dead until COVID is anyways. There is no way in hell I plan to be in one anytime in the next 12 months.
That's self-evident. I'm just saying. Even if there wasn't a pandemic, theaters would be dead, if Disney can pull this off. $30.00 is less than you're going to have to pay for a family of four, just to get into the theater. Hell, a couple out on date night will spend more than that, on tickets.

That's not even factoring in travel, parking (everybody doesn't live someplace that movie theaters have free parking), snacks, etc. And that's not even taking into account things like not having to wedge your entire schedule into the time windows offered by the theaters. And about that aforementioned date night... if you've got young kids, and you can spend $30.00 to watch the movie at home, on opening night, guess what you don't have to spend money on? A babysitter! Put the kids to bed at 8, get UberEats, and watch the movie at 830.

I mean, I wouldn't pay thirty bucks to watch Mulan on opening weekend, when I know that I can wait six months, and catch it on the Disney+ subscription that I'm already paying for... But let me find out that I can see Black Panther 2 or Captain Marvel 2 or Shang-Chi on opening weekend, without having to go through the hassle of going to the theater... thirty bucks for that sounds like a steal, to me.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
That's self-evident. I'm just saying. Even if there wasn't a pandemic, theaters would be dead, if Disney can pull this off. $30.00 is less than you're going to have to pay for a family of four, just to get into the theater. Hell, a couple out on date night will spend more than that, on tickets.

That's not even factoring in travel, parking (everybody doesn't live someplace that movie theaters have free parking), snacks, etc. And that's not even taking into account things like not having to wedge your entire schedule into the time windows offered by the theaters. And about that aforementioned date night... if you've got young kids, and you can spend $30.00 to watch the movie at home, on opening night, guess what you don't have to spend money on? A babysitter! Put the kids to bed at 8, get UberEats, and watch the movie at 830.

I mean, I wouldn't pay thirty bucks to watch Mulan on opening weekend, when I know that I can wait six months, and catch it on the Disney+ subscription that I'm already paying for... But let me find out that I can see Black Panther 2 or Captain Marvel 2 or Shang-Chi on opening weekend, without having to go through the hassle of going to the theater... thirty bucks for that sounds like a steal, to me.
Agreed. My only frustration is that this is turning into a free-for-all on streaming services. I've had Netflix forever and the cost isn't bad, but it was a better deal when they were the only service in town. My wife signed up for Amazon Prime a few years ago so we do have Prime Video. We also signed up for Disney+ (for the 3 years for $140 deal and got another free year through Verizon - so that is a pretty darn good deal as well once they start actually releasing all the Marvel series they were promising).

But it seems like more and more channels are releasing stuff on their individual streaming services and I'm not paying for any more of those services than I already am. :)

But Disney is only doing this because of the pandemic which they stress in the article. Hamilton was supposed to be their major summer release, they did it with their spring Pixar property iirc. I don't think they are going to do this when theaters re-open although it may impact the future timing between theater/physical/streaming. But for now, not only does it maintain their release schedule but it's a major draw to their platform vs. putting it on Google play for a month at a $20 rental like all the other studios are doing right now.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
But Disney is only doing this because of the pandemic which they stress in the article. Hamilton was supposed to be their major summer release, they did it with their spring Pixar property iirc. I don't think they are going to do this when theaters re-open although it may impact the future timing between theater/physical/streaming. But for now, not only does it maintain their release schedule but it's a major draw to their platform vs. putting it on Google play for a month at a $20 rental like all the other studios are doing right now.
They also state that it is a test of sorts:
“We find it very interesting to take a premiere offering to consumers at that $29.99 price and learn from it,” said Chapek, noting that they would study the number of transactions and the number of subscribers generated by the movie.
You don't think that if it shows promise it won't be the only one?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
But Disney is only doing this because of the pandemic which they stress in the article.
There's no counterfactual for that; I mean, the platform only preceded the pandemic by weeks.. They could very well have meant that the pandemic forced their hand. They might not have done this for Mulan, had it not been for the pandemic, but I absolutely believe that this was part of their long-term planning, because, why wouldn't it be? Why would Disney want to maintain the status quo, when they can eliminate the middleman, and keep all of the revenue? I absolutely believe that Disney planned to use a movie as a "trial balloon," to see how viable the idea was. They probably didn't intend for that movie to be Mulan but, of all the movies they have in post-production right now, this was definitely the best available option to try it on, because it's a family movie, and the people who would have gone to see it in the theaters, by and large, are not people that would have been going by themselves.

I don't think they are going to do this when theaters re-open although it may impact the future timing between theater/physical/streaming.
If this works, they're totally going to do it again.

I'm just going to politely disagree this will kill the theaters (to the extent COVID hasn't). There are enough people who work in the higher echelons of film that will demand their pictures screen on giant screens to large audiences as an essential part of their medium.

It will possibly ultimately shorten the window for theater exclusivity to 2-4 weeks instead of the current 2-4 months, killing the second run theaters. Many of those were put out of business by MoviePass.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
From what KG4 told me, the one left in Sacramento is doing a brisk business. I also recall hearing about some Wal-marts (I think) using parts of their parking lots. There is also an old one near Marysville that has been doing some cleanup.
That then begs the question, once they start releasing new movies again, how much would a drive-in have to charge, per vehicle, to make any money? We're talking, what, two showtimes per night, during the week? I can't imagine that it'd be significantly less than $30.00.

I mean, if by "kill," you thought I meant within the next 3-5 years, I guess I can see why you'd disagree. This is the beginning of the end, if it works.
As long as there are prestige directors and cinematographers with enough juice to demand big screen releases to realize "their vision", we'll have theaters. Let's not forget that Netflix garnering a few Oscar nods and getting Scorcese to do a picture was the death of theater too.

Also as long as the earth gets hotter and large segments of the population do not have central AC I think they will remain a thing, even in big cities with great internet infrastructure.

Home theater has been a hobby of mine over the last 25 years, and as much as it confounds me, many people actually enjoy movie theaters. I'm a buy it on physical media kind of guy. For as long as that lasts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That then begs the question, once they start releasing new movies again, how much would a drive-in have to charge, per vehicle, to make any money? We're talking, what, two showtimes per night, during the week? I can't imagine that it'd be significantly less than $30.00.
Probably two movies a night since it doesn't get dark until pretty late - one new release and one lesser movie. Since there's virtually no overhead, it costs a lot less to run a drive-in. As far a per vehicle charge, I'm not sure but I think they charge so much per adult and so much per child - not a flat rate.

I'm curious now and am going to reach out to the folks who own the place in Marysville and see if I can find out any more information. :)

My wife and I saw E.T. / Back to the Future double feature at our drive-in here in SLO. Was $10 per adult, $6 per kid, and another $10 at the concession stand. Tickets were up a dollar from when they had new movies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
From what KG4 told me, the one left in Sacramento is doing a brisk business. I also recall hearing about some Wal-marts (I think) using parts of their parking lots. There is also an old one near Marysville that has been doing some cleanup.
Garth Brooks also just did a remote concert where it played on drive-in movie screens. It's not just movies, and I imagine they charged a LOT more for the concert event. Tix were sold out before I could even get through to Ticketmaster to see what they were charging.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The only genre of movies I like as much as I like superhero movies is kung fu flicks.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is a superhero kung fu flick.

Can't. ****ing. WAIT!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Fridge Logic moment: the Hydra weapons in CA:TFA were powered by the Tesseract (i.e., the Space Stone) so, did they kill the target immediately, or send them to the other side of space, to asphyxiate and/or freeze to death? And, if the latter, was the destination completely random, or was it specific to each weapon? And what if the destination was a planet, like Vormir? Do any "survivors" turn into wraiths, like the Red Skull?