New article on Reke/Jimmer

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I highlighted a couple parts I thought were interesting. Why didn't the coaching staff give Reke a hint about how they might use he and Jimmer? Again, not to harp on it, but I have serious questions about how our staff prepares the young guys for the off season, let alone a lockout. No comminucation beforehand?

LOS ANGELES – Tyreke Evans(notes) attended the Sacramento Kings’ draft party and watched as the team’s fans celebrated the selection of BYU guard Jimmer Fredette(notes). Evans was smiling that night, but he was also confused.
Did the Kings really need another scoring guard?
Evans has welcomed the addition of Fredette, college basketball’s consensus 2011 national player of the year. But a month after the draft, Evans also has some questions: Is he still the Kings’ starting point guard? Or, is he being moved to shooting guard to make room for the heralded rookie?
Team officials gave Evans no answers after the draft, and they can’t speak to him until after the lockout ends.
“I don’t know how we are playing it,” Evans said. “Am I going to be the point? Is he going to be the point? At the end of the day, whatever one they lead me to, I’m just ready.”
Evans was the NBA’s 2010 Rookie of the Year after the Kings drafted him fourth overall in 2009. Though he has averaged 19.1 points, 5.7 assists and 5.1 rebounds his first two seasons, scouts have often debated which guard position Evans is best-suited to play. The Kings sometimes played Beno Udrih(notes) at point guard with Evans last season, but dealt Udrih to the Milwaukee Bucks on draft night. Sacramento is also expected to re-sign restricted free-agent shooting guard Marcus Thornton(notes), who started 23 games after being acquired in the middle of the season. Evans and Thornton played well together which led to the expectation they could become the Kings’ backcourt of the future.
[Related: Video: Jimmer Fredette wows summer campers]
But after Fredette was drafted, there was some thought the Kings could play him at point with Evans at shooting guard. One league source said the team will likely begin the season with Evans and Thornton starting, and Fredette coming off the bench.
“They made the decision they wanted,” Evans said of the Kings’ drafting of Fredette. “I can’t do nothing about, but I didn’t have any issues with it.
“I like him a lot,” Evans said of Fredette. “He’s going to help a lot. …He definitely takes a load off of me. When I create, I can find him, and he can knock down that open shot.”
Evans and Fredette haven’t spoken since the draft. The young Kings don’t lack offensive options: Evans, center DeMarcus Cousins(notes), new forwards John Salmons(notes) and J.J. Hickson(notes), who were both recently acquired in trades and Fredette and Thornton (assuming he’s re-signed). The question is whether they will fit together.
“There is only one way to find out – when the season starts,” Evans said. “I don’t know how [Fredette] plays in the NBA, so we’ll have to adapt to each other.”
Evans has been working out with trainer Rob McClanaghan and Lamont Peterson, his strength and conditioning coach, in Santa Monica, Calif. Evans said his foot injury that bothered him last season is fully healed.
Evans has received some interest about playing professionally in China during the lockout, but there has been no formal offer. He recently joined Kobe Bryant(notes), Kevin Durant(notes) and Derrick Rose(notes) to play two exhibition games in the Philippines. Evans has also played in two games in the pro-am Drew League in L.A.
“I don’t want to slack off and not work out,” Evans said.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I highlighted a couple parts I thought were interesting. Why didn't the coaching staff give Reke a hint about how they might use he and Jimmer? Again, not to harp on it, but I have serious questions about how our staff prepares the young guys for the off season, let alone a lockout. No comminucation beforehand?
Cause our coaching staff is turrible. I have zero faith in Westphal's ability to develop these youngsters.

Hopefully we go in a different direction once his contract runs out. But as long as we have the Maloofs as owners, the low cost/low quality coaching carousel will most likely continue.

Reke will never learn how to make better decisions...DMC will become a jumpshooter...Thornton will be forced to play SF for some weird reason...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Seems like Evans should call Fredette if he is mystified. It's all he can do in a lockout. I'm a little surprised Cisco hasn't been involved in organizing things but maybe he's not in the country. This is where veteran leadership can make a difference in how a lockout is handled. Are these guys that helpless?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
they have spoken. on twitter. go read jimmers tweets when he got drafted
Tweeting is not talking. I think a new teammate, and possible backcourt partner, deserves more than a tweet on draft day. What, Reke can't pick up the phone and call Jimmer? Wouldn't be a problem is Reke wasn't the supposed leader of this team. I'm sure he has time to pick up the phone and talk to BluePrint, or his sponsors.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Cause our coaching staff is turrible. I have zero faith in Westphal's ability to develop these youngsters.

Hopefully we go in a different direction once his contract runs out. But as long as we have the Maloofs as owners, the low cost/low quality coaching carousel will most likely continue.

Reke will never learn how to make better decisions...DMC will become a jumpshooter...Thornton will be forced to play SF for some weird reason...
I just can't believe it sounds like Westy didn't even say something as simple as, "we picked up Jimmer, we plan on him running the point, and need you to concentrate on working off the ball".

Now, I don't know if that's the plan. Not my point. Point is it doesn't appear Reke knows the plan either. For christ sake, he doesn't even appear to have been told to work on his off the ball game by Westy. If he had been told to work on his off the ball game, or work more on setting up teammates and studying the pick & roll, he'd most likely say something besides I don't know what we're doing next year.

This is how crap like Donte putting on 25lbs to play pf happens. Players assuming things, instead of being told. This organization has a history.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just can't believe it sounds like Westy didn't even say something as simple as, "we picked up Jimmer, we plan on him running the point, and need you to concentrate on working off the ball".

Now, I don't know if that's the plan. Not my point. Point is it doesn't appear Reke knows the plan either. For christ sake, he doesn't even appear to have been told to work on his off the ball game by Westy. If he had been told to work on his off the ball game, or work more on setting up teammates and studying the pick & roll, he'd most likely say something besides I don't know what we're doing next year.

This is how crap like Donte putting on 25lbs to play pf happens. Players assuming things, instead of being told. This organization has a history.
Perhaps Jimmer was the Maloofs choice more than the coaching staff's? There were some hints of that predraft.

Besides, its seems fairly obvious the limited number of possivibilites with Jimmer. With Beno gone, he's clearly one of three guards in the rotation. Assuming Marcus is back, something the staff also would not have known at draft time, the only real possibiliites are Jimmer as third guard, or Jimmer as starter with Marcus as third guard. Now its a desperate team indeed that tries to force a 10th pick into the starting lineup as some sort of guaranteed slot -- half of guys picked that late turn out to be nobodies. And with arguably 2 of the top 5 young guards taken in the draft in the last couple of years already on the roster, you would think we are far from desperate. Any push for that may well be from the as usual overenthusaistic Maloofs as much as anything. And rolewise, whether starter or bencher, it again seems fairly obvious that Jimmer is not really much different than what we've had. He;s either a scoring PG, or a passing SG. Another "guard" that especially as a rookie can hardly be expected to come in and play Steve Nash. So I don't really see how things are necesarily going to change much. I certainly don't expect Westphal's system, or lack thereof, to change much.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Agreed. Especially about the possibility of Jimmer being a Maloof pick. Kid is definitely going to sell some tickets.

I'm pretty sure Jimmer is going to take over Beno's role as shooter/auxilary ball handler. Dont think we need that Nash type PG next to Reke (as has been discussed in multiple other threads). He'll probably be a downgrade next season, maybe even a drastic one, but I can see Jimmer have more upside than Beno. Evans/Thornton/Jimmer is an interesting group of guards moving foward. Not the best in terms of playmaking...But that backcourt could be good for at least 50ppg down the road.

Ugh. That "the coaches didn't want Jimmer" mantra is lie based on the hiring of Eric Musselhead and Reggie Theus along with about ten seconds worth of youtube clip showing the Maloofs smothering Jimmer after the Kings pre-draft workout. Let it die already.

Im sure the coaching staff doesnt even know how they are going to use jimmer yet. he has yet to even practice with the big boys. so how are they going to be able to tell reke what his role is? i dont blame this on the coaching staff or reke. its the lockout. plain and simple.

Im sure the coaching staff doesnt even know how they are going to use jimmer yet. he has yet to even practice with the big boys. so how are they going to be able to tell reke what his role is? i dont blame this on the coaching staff or reke. its the lockout. plain and simple.
Exactly. You draft a guy because he has a certain skillset and potential you like, but nothing is certain till you see the guys actually play together or have more times to really work things out. Of course they could have told Evans that they want him off the ball, but then what if when the lockout ends they play together and find that Jimmer can't handle the point? Then people would be all up in arms saying that they should have instructed Evans to work on his ball-handling and playmaking more instead.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Exactly. You draft a guy because he has a certain skillset and potential you like, but nothing is certain till you see the guys actually play together or have more times to really work things out. Of course they could have told Evans that they want him off the ball, but then what if when the lockout ends they play together and find that Jimmer can't handle the point? Then people would be all up in arms saying that they should have instructed Evans to work on his ball-handling and playmaking more instead.
I was reluctant to jump in on this thread, because honestly, I get weary of swiming up stream at times. At least thats what it seems like. So let me start by saying, that I doubt that anyone had to tell Larry Bird or Magic Johnson (you insert name) what to work on during the offseason. Does anyone honestly think that Evans doesn't know what his weaknesses are? Its a known fact that Petrie meets with every player on his way out the door at seasons end. I seriously doubt that they're discussing cooking recipes.

There are two ways to handle players during the offseason. One is to babysit them, and the other is to find out how much self dicipline and dedication they have. Arguments can be made for either approach. But the defining one, is allowing the player to determine his own future. The great one's will succeed regardless. So if we sincerely believe that Tyreke has greatness ingrained, then we have to trust in that. Ditto Cousins! My point is, that greatness comes from within, and you can't manufacture it. All you can do is nurture it. Neither Evans nor Cousins arrived with the skills they have by sitting on a couch with a beer in their hand.

On the other hand, and I hate to keep making Donte my whipping boy, but he arrived at the same age with terrific athletic ability, and a suitcase full of potential. But very few actual skills. Thats why I tend to put my money on the skilled athlete's. Because it shows that they've put in the work, and that they have a good work ethic, and that means, probably a great future.

As for Petrie's decision to draft Jimmer. To the best of my recolection, I can't remember anyone ever questioning who made the decision on who to draft. I doubt anyone questioned who made the decision to draft Peja, when everyone wanted Wallace. No one blamed the decison to draft Douby on the Maloofs. How about Martin? So with all the Maloof hatred going around right now, its a bit convienent blame the Maloofs for interferring in the draft. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

For all those that want to read what the pundits write, your going to be very surprised. Fredette is a lot more than just a shooter. Anyone thats followed him for the last couple of years knows that. Contrary to what you might think, he's the ultimate team player. Which is why he was loved by his teammates. He was blessed with a great talent, and because of the nature of his team, he had to put that talent on full display. But the kid can handle, and he can pass. And he's smart. He'll fit better with Tyreke than you think.

I don't think that Knight was ever in the running. Not because he's not talented enough, but because Petrie wanted someone that was more ready to play now, and not three years from now. So he saw both Walker and Jimmer in that light. He liked Jimmer the most, but he probably would have been alright with taking Walker if Jimmer wasn't there. And while Jimmer was the flavor of the day, its not as though Kemba was unknown. His team did just win the national championship, and he got the lions share of the credit. There was plenty of PR to be had from both players.

I'm sorry to see Beno go, and I sincerely wish him all the best. There's no doubt that he had the best years of his career here. But Jimmer, and Evans along with Cousins and Thornton all have one thing that Beno didn't have. The heart of a winner. The williingness to put it on the line with the game on the line. They won't bring it home everytime, but each and every one of them is willing to step up and take the winning shot. You build championships with those kind of players. You need those kind of players!!

The hard part, is will each and everyone of them be will to defer to the other in that moment? We shall see...

I'm sorry to see Beno go, and I sincerely wish him all the best. There's no doubt that he had the best years of his career here. But Jimmer, and Evans along with Cousins and Thornton all have one thing that Beno didn't have. The heart of a winner. The williingness to put it on the line with the game on the line. They won't bring it home everytime, but each and every one of them is willing to step up and take the winning shot. You build championships with those kind of players. You need those kind of players!!
I'm really surprised to see you of all people say that. I don't recall any instance where Beno shied away from taking a clutch shot. He typically deferred to Tyreke because those were the plays that Westphal drew up at the end of games, but I remember numerous shots taken by Beno in clutch situations, especially clutch free throws. I always felt confident with the ball in his hands that he would make the correct play.

And while Beno was only a role player on that San Antonio team, we shouldn't forget that he is the only King in recent years that actually has a ring. He's been there, done that. He knows how to win in the NBA, and with all due respect to our young guys and their talent, that's something they still need to learn.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm really surprised to see you of all people say that. I don't recall any instance where Beno shied away from taking a clutch shot. He typically deferred to Tyreke because those were the plays that Westphal drew up at the end of games, but I remember numerous shots taken by Beno in clutch situations, especially clutch free throws. I always felt confident with the ball in his hands that he would make the correct play.

And while Beno was only a role player on that San Antonio team, we shouldn't forget that he is the only King in recent years that actually has a ring. He's been there, done that. He knows how to win in the NBA, and with all due respect to our young guys and their talent, that's something they still need to learn.
Believe me, it wasn't meant as a criticism of Beno. I like Beno! But Beno wasn't one to demand the ball at the end of the game. Too many times when Beno's first few shots didn't fall, he just disappeared, sometimes as though he wasn't even on the floor. He didn't shy away from clutch shots, he shied away from taking any shots. I certainly didn't mean that he didn't have the desire to win. I just don't think he had the confidence in his offensive game that the other players I mentioned do. In all honesty, I can't remember one winning shot that Beno made that won a game for us. I'm sure there must have been some, but nothing leaps out at me. I could mention other things as well, but I won't. I don't want to turn this into a, lets crap on Beno thing. As I said, I like Beno, but he was what he was, and most of what he was, was good.

As for his ring. I'm sure he treasures it, but he had little to do with it. I'll certainly give him more credit than Mitch Richmond with the Lakers, but it doesn't come with the same respect as Parkers. Once again, not a criticism, just what it was.

Beno will be missed. By how much who knows until we see our new team in action. But ill say this. Beno was definitely our floor leader. He wasnt the highest scorer, or highest assists man, but he was somebody we can count on to make the right plays, and ultimately lead us to victory. There were times when our young players had thrown the balance of the game in our opponents favor, and it was Beno who pulled us out of the hole and helped us pull towards victory.

I always thought some of us Kingsfans were hard on Beno, when if it were not for him, we wouldnt have 25 wins in the last season. I remember the game against the New York Knicks. Im not sure how many points he scored but i believe it was around 30 pts, in which he pulled us out of the holes our young players had dug, and gave us a fighting chance, extending the game into overtime. I forget wether or not we had won that game.

The point is Beno gave us the leadership, and intelligence, that may or may not be missed; that will ultimately rest in our young players in the following season.

I hope by now, that Reke has learned how to will the team to victory, and not just a good statline. If not, then it'll be up to Cousins or Thornton, or maybe even Thornton, to garner that role.

Beno will be missed. and it was Beno who pulled us out of the hole and helped us pull towards victory.
The point is Beno gave us the leadership, and intelligence, that may or may not be missed; that will ultimately rest in our young players in the following season.
I agree 100% with this.