Nets taking Wes Johnson

Here's what Draft Express just said:

"Wesley Johnson is moving up to 3, New Jersey, on our next mock coming shortly. Told New Jersey will take him and go for a PF in free agency.

Wes is the most ready guy and New Jersey wants to be competitive next year. Favors doeso to Minnesota & compliments Love+Jefferson perfectly"

Chad Ford Twitter- "Just spoke with 2 sources & looks like Turner is lock at 2, & Wes Johnson now has lead at 3 in NJ."

Hope this is the way it plays out!

So that leaves us Cousins or Favors. And whoever Minnesota doesn't take will go to Detroit, because we will take Monroe. ;)

Well now you bring up an interesting scenario where Detroit could jump to #4 in a trade, due to Twolves losing their coveted wing player, and take Cousins leaving us with Favors. Whoaaaaa.

So that leaves us Cousins or Favors. And whoever Minnesota doesn't take will go to Detroit, because we will take Monroe. ;)
We're just feigning interest in Monroe to lull others out of Trading up to 4 for Cousins. We've been after Cousins all along. If he's gone then we'll take Johnson or Favors.

Monroe is just a pawn in our game

Well now you bring up an interesting scenario where Detroit could jump to #4 in a trade, due to Twolves losing their coveted wing player, and take Cousins leaving us with Favors. Whoaaaaa.
Just because Detroit desperately wants to move up in the draft, doesn't mean they have the pieces to do it.

Anyway, as Kings fans i think we should just prepare to hear Greg Monroes name being called for the 5th pick. Im somewhat ready for that disappointment.

Hope this "rumor" is true. We get either Favors or Cousins. If GP still picks Monroe with either of those available, there'll be a lot of hearts broken on draft night.

Anyway, as Kings fans i think we should just prepare to hear Greg Monroes name being called for the 5th pick. Im somewhat ready for that disappointment.
I totally agree. I think Monroe is the definition of a "Petrie Player" and I am prepared to hear his name called...as much as i dont want to have it happen, i think its what ultimately will happen. However, I am PERFECTLY content being wrong. :)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We're just feigning interest in Monroe to lull others out of Trading up to 4 for Cousins. We've been after Cousins all along. If he's gone then we'll take Johnson or Favors.

Monroe is just a pawn in our game
I've been starting to think that - but less so to get people to jump us than to keep people from drafting "our" guy and holding him hostage. Like if Minny really wants Johnson but knows we want Cousins, they can draft Cousins then demand we give them JT, Donte or Casspi to get him. So if we convince the world that if Cousins isn't there we're grabbing Monroe there is no reason to play games.

This is good news for us because if it's true then it guarantees we either get Cousins or Favors, unless we're stupid enough to pass on one of them.

I totally agree. I think Monroe is the definition of a "Petrie Player" and I am prepared to hear his name called...as much as i dont want to have it happen, i think its what ultimately will happen. However, I am PERFECTLY content being wrong. :)
Definitely. But when have not been collectively disappointed on this forum during draft night? I dont remember the majority of this forum ever celebrating on Lottery night or Draft night.

Seems Like Petrie proves us wrong most of the time, and i hope he does it again if Monroe does end up being our pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I just posted a couple of articles from the local New Jersey newspaper. there is nothing in either article that implies that the Nets will take Johnson. I still think the Nets will take Favors. He's the perfect fit for their team. I guess we'll see. As for the T Wolves, who the hell knows what they'll do. Kahn is crazy as a loon, and apparently offered just about every player on his team to every team in the league. Too bad we have to draft behind that idiot.

I just posted a couple of articles from the local New Jersey newspaper. there is nothing in either article that implies that the Nets will take Johnson. I still think the Nets will take Favors. He's the perfect fit for their team. I guess we'll see. As for the T Wolves, who the hell knows what they'll do. Kahn is crazy as a loon, and apparently offered just about every player on his team to every team in the league. Too bad we have to draft behind that idiot.
There's no reason to believe a newspaper over these guys, or vice versa. We simply don't know.

Cousins is a Petrie player too. Really big and skilled.

Chad Ford just posted that the Blazers turned down an offer of #4 for Nicolas Batum a couple weeks ago. I can believe it, Batum is pretty damn good.

Maybe the Nets think they have very little chance at LeBron this year or Melo next and want to try a Amare/Wes Johnson combo. I just can't believe it though. Perfect scenario for the Kings if it happens.

Chad Ford just posted that the Blazers turned down an offer of #4 for Nicolas Batum a couple weeks ago. I can believe it, Batum is pretty damn good.

Maybe the Nets think they have very little chance at LeBron this year or Melo next and want to try a Amare/Wes Johnson combo. I just can't believe it though. Perfect scenario for the Kings if it happens.
Really? That seems hard to believe. Batum is a good player and all, but the #4 pick could get them Johnson or Cousins. I'd take either of them over Batum, easy.

Wow, that's crazy. Batum has shown flashes, but I don't think he's anything TOO special just yet, especially since the #4 could possibly land Cousins, Johnson or Favors. Wasn't Batum taken in the 20's or even 2nd round? I know his draft position doesn't matter anymore, I just don't understand why the Blazers would turn that down

Really? That seems hard to believe. Batum is a good player and all, but the #4 pick could get them Johnson or Cousins. I'd take either of them over Batum, easy.
Well, I'd guess they don't like Cousins, or still are confident in Oden. However Batum or Johnson is interesting. I'd take Batum. 1.5 years younger, bigger, and already getting it done in the NBA. I was actually blown away by how good he was when I saw him. Pretty similar players though.

Well, I'd guess they don't like Cousins, or still are confident in Oden. However Batum or Johnson is interesting. I'd take Batum. 1.5 years younger, bigger, and already getting it done in the NBA. I was actually blown away by how good he was when I saw him. Pretty similar players though.
Younger, but also a lot more raw. I'd rather take the more skilled/polished talent than just hope for a little more upside with another talent.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I could definitely see NY taking WJ. Their interest in him was made public weeks ago. It could still be posturing at this point, but I really do think people on this forum have underrated WJ since day one. In any other draft, he's a top 3 pick. Possibly this draft too.

If WJ goes #3, Minn takes Favors, leaving Cousins for us. I don't see Minn taking Cousins, period. If you believe the reports, Kahn wouldn't hesitate at the chance to draft Favors. I still see Cousins falling to us, which is good, because IMO he fills a bigger need. I wouldn't complain if we get either of course.

This is all becoming a big headache though. Seems the scenarios are changing every day. Far cry from lottery night when more than a handfull on this forum were positive neither Favors or Cousins would fall to us.