How many first round upsets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I came here a couple of minutes ago when GSW had a 21-point lead to make a comment about GSW not blowing a 3-1 series lead. I posted a reply in ONE thread, looked up and the lead is down to 12. As much as I dislike these teams, I've sure enjoyed this series.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Interesting series, if you judge it solely by today's basketball standards. The GSW-Rockets matchup is gonna be more of the same...but Houston has a bona fide star or two, which LAC lacked. Part of me really wonders if the Warriors can survive the second round.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Interesting series, if you judge it solely by today's basketball standards. The GSW-Rockets matchup is gonna be more of the same...but Houston has a bona fide star or two, which LAC lacked. Part of me really wonders if the Warriors can survive the second round.
Idk... Houston wasn’t very inspiring in Round 1, trying to give games away to the Jazz who just couldn’t step up. My bold prediction, I think the Warriors are going to have an easier series against these guys than they did the Clippers.

Either way... I’m rooting for GS again. I hate the Rockets, Harden, CP3, and D’Antoni ball more than the Superteam.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Idk... Houston wasn’t very inspiring in Round 1, trying to give games away to the Jazz who just couldn’t step up. My bold prediction, I think the Warriors are going to have an easier series against these guys than they did the Clippers.

Either way... I’m rooting for GS again. I hate the Rockets, Harden, CP3, and D’Antoni ball more than the Superteam.
You're kind of preaching to the choir here. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
you write way too much to try to make a point.
what he wanted to tell me could of been done in a paragraph, maybe two. You more than anyone should be well aware of Slim's ranting and blocks and blocks of words that make what he is trying to say as extended as possible.
I don't know what to tell you, man. I'm like the "modern" NBA: I don't have a mid-range game. Breakaway dunks and half-court shots, that's what I got.

Just because someone gets hired as GM doesn't necessarily mean they will do a good job. I mean, Pete D was the Kings GM and that held the team back a couple of seasons.
We are in agreement on this: the disconnect is that you frame your argument in a way that appears to presuppose that the fact that I don't have the job is somehow proof that I couldn't do the job.

How would a championship team build around Dame Dolla look to you?
The trouble with building a championship team around Dame is that Portland is sooo far over the cap that I'd probably have to blow the whole damned thing up, and start from scratch. I think that you could build a team like the Bad Boy Pistons, that could win a ring in the Modern NBA, but you'd have to replace McCollum with a guy who can get buckets, but also lock up the other team's best guard; trade with New Orleans for Holiday, perhaps? They might be talked into it, since they're rebuilding, and McCollum has one less year on his deal. The hard part would be getting rid of Turner and Leonard, but they're both expiring contracts, and there's always someone willing to take those on. Ideally, I'd like to turn that $30M into Draymond Green and Bogdanovic (the Kings one). I guess I'd keep Collins, because the price is right, but I'd rather bring back FIBA World Champion Mason Plumlee. Kanter's proven to be a good fit, but I doubt that he likes Portland enough to take a haircut to come back... I'd roll the dice on Dwight, if he passes a physical.

Incoming:
Jrue Holiday
Draymond Green
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Dwight Howard

Outgoing:
CJ McCollum
Evan Turner
Enes Kanter
Meyers Leonard

Starters:
Damian Lillard
Jrue Holiday
Al-Farouq Aminu
Draymond Green
Jusuf Nurkic

Reserves:
Seth Curry
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Maurice Harkless
Zach Collins
Dwight Howard
Rodney Hood
Skal Labissière (**** it, why not)
Anfernee Simons
Gary Trent, Jr.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that I'd also fire Stotts, since I think dude is wild overrated, and is actually holding that team back.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Shifting gears back to the primary theme of the thread, I'm rooting for San Antonio tonight. Under any other circumstance, I'd be pulling for Mike Malone and the Nuggets, but I want San Antonio, for the story.
Hrm. My heart says I should root for San Antonio. I simply cannot do it. I just do not hold any fondness for the Spurs in any way, shape or form.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'd never ask you to. Like I said, I'm rooting for the story, specifically, the story of Damian Lillard versus LaMarcus Aldridge:

Aldridge left Portland, in part, because he saw the writing on the wall that the Trail Blazers had made the decision to build the team around Lillard, and he did not want to remain in Portland playing second fiddle to Lillard. Those two failed to advance past the second round as teammates, and they have failed to advance pass the second round separately. And, if the Spurs can win Game 7, then one of them is going to have to beat the other, in order to make their first trip to the Conference Finals.

I've only watched, like, three games total, since Cousins got injured, and the Pacers got swept. An Aldridge versus Lillard storyline is exactly the sort of thing I need to get back into the playoffs.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why the hell is TNT forcing us to listen to both C-Webb and Reggie as color commentators when they've had Kevin "at the very least he's coherent" McHale in their pocket for years?

Yep, that's pretty bad. Normally Harden is swinging his legs all around and truthfully he did a bit when viewed from the other angle but there is no question about that being a foul and dangerous too.

It also has to be said for the first time this year that I've seen the Rockets went away from their identity. They tried to grind their way to victory and the 3's they did take are ones they seemed to not really want to take. If they remember who they are they might win this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.