[NBA] The Finals

Who Ya Got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
and to think that Gobert won DPOY over D White or Jrue -_-
Both the big men on the T-Wolves are washed up. Towns is walking wounded and Gobert has the offense of a mite. They both ought to be bench players now. This Finals series looks alot like the Mavs/Twolves series juxtaposed - Mavs lose tomorrow and it'll be solidified. Not that I like this Celtics team either. Knicks/Pacers series nips the Twolves/Nuggets as best in show this year. Mavs similar to the Pacers, play sporadic defense and it costs them.

Both the big men on the T-Wolves are washed up. Towns is walking wounded and Gobert has the offense of a mite. They both ought to be bench players now. This Finals series looks alot like the Mavs/Twolves series juxtaposed - Mavs lose tomorrow and it'll be solidified. Not that I like this Celtics team either. Knicks/Pacers series nips the Twolves/Nuggets as best in show this year. Mavs similar to the Pacers, play sporadic defense and it costs them.
Hmm. I'm a fan of neither Towns nor Gobert, but the Timberwolves won 56 games and made it to the Western Conference Finals with those two bigs in their starting lineup. Towns was injured and then hobbled for a stretch, yes, and the Wolves ultimately got worked by the Mavericks, but I think they also pretty firmly proved the doubters wrong this season. And I was one of them! I thought the Gobert trade was one of the worst in the history of the league. Yet Minnesota made it to the Conference Finals in the historically tough West this season. At a certain point, it's just nonsense to claim that two of the starters from a team that accomplished that particular feat should instead be bench players.

I'd be very interested in a comparison between actual bench bigs and KAT/Gobert and why they deserve to be bench players.

The good thing about the last two finals it now shows anyone can make it there even with just 2 good to great players, there's no super teams as deep and good as Boston is they are so well rested due to the pathetic nature of the East it's not a fair fight (they never had to go to war with a healthy Heat/Bucks/76ers) Even Denver last season was a very flawed team.

The Kings would be competitive in a 7 game series against any of the 2023 Nuggets/Heat or 2024 Dallas/Boston they just need that one more decent to good piece to be there. Non of the current teams are Lakers 2000's 2010', Spurs 2000-2020, GSW 2014-2022 and Miami scum 3 level good which is a great thing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Luka is a good enough offensive player that the announcers probably don’t need to keep pretending that he’s good at defense lol

Hmm. I'm a fan of neither Towns nor Gobert, but the Timberwolves won 56 games and made it to the Western Conference Finals with those two bigs in their starting lineup. Towns was injured and then hobbled for a stretch, yes, and the Wolves ultimately got worked by the Mavericks, but I think they also pretty firmly proved the doubters wrong this season. And I was one of them! I thought the Gobert trade was one of the worst in the history of the league. Yet Minnesota made it to the Conference Finals in the historically tough West this season. At a certain point, it's just nonsense to claim that two of the starters from a team that accomplished that particular feat should instead be bench players.
When players regress to collegiate level of play for 4/5 games and a couple of others vs Nuggets , the team's calculus for next year ought to be questioned. Fall off was stark.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
lol the Celtics played like absolute dogcrap for most of the first quarter but the Mavs are only up by one because the non-Luka Mavs are crapting themselves again

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Honestly don’t know where the Mavs go from here. Most of their team is under contract for next year but they’re likely losing their best point of attack defender (DJJ is a free agent) and this was Kyrie’s healthiest season in a decade. They also have like no picks left and no cap room.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Honestly don’t know where the Mavs go from here. Most of their team is under contract for next year but they’re likely losing their best point of attack defender (DJJ is a free agent) and this was Kyrie’s healthiest season in a decade. They also have like no picks left and no cap room.
I was actually thinking over the last fifteen about what teams besides Boston that finished ahead of us can possibly be happy about their general direction and I’ve got OKC and Indy and Orlando. Who else? Not really anyone in the West although I imagine Denver isn’t in a full blown panic like most other teams that ultimately got hammered out of the playoffs are.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Mavs have like no answers when Luka and Kyrie aren’t transcendental and their other guys aren’t hitting open shots. Low key they need an athletic downhill guy like Malik Monk who can just sorta force the issue and get the defense off kilter.