[NBA] East Playoffs, Round Two

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning MVP was the worst thing to happened to Embiid not only in the fashion he won it by having Doc campaigning and Doc's former player , Perkins trying to make it about race , but all the pressure literally went off Jokic onto Embiid.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Winning MVP was the worst thing to happened to Embiid not only in the fashion he won it by having Doc campaigning and Doc's former player , Perkins trying to make it about race , but all the pressure literally went off Jokic onto Embiid.
I try to avoid Twitter and ESPN so I don't know what everyone is referring to about Embiid and co. campaigning for the MVP award -- but he led the NBA in PPG while helping his team finish with the 3rd best record and the guys who were second and third in scoring (Doncic and Lillard) didn't even make the playoffs. Giannis and Tatum also had strong cases -- Giannis because he's also a top 10 defender and Tatum because he played 74 out of 82 and Boston won 57 games. Giannis has already won the MVP award twice though and Embiid finished second in voting the last two years in a row (to Jokic both times) so the voters decided (correctly, I think) that it was his turn.

Sure, Jokic flirting with averaging a triple-double is impressive. That was an automatic MVP award back when Russ did it in 2017 but I think the voters have caught on to the fact that the pace of the game, the volume of 3pt shooting, and the rules adjustments which make it nearly impossible to apply defensive pressure without fouling have all cheapened the value of that achievement. Russ did it 4 times and only won the MVP once. Jokic's Nuggets finishing the season with an underwhelming 12-11 record after the All-Star break pretty much put an end to his chances of getting 3 in a row.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
^^ And also quote-unquote Sports Fans™ love to do this thing where they retroactively diminish players' accomplishments for winning regular season awards if they then underwhelm in the playoffs.

Tobias Harris' $40 million per coming off the books means they can afford to keep Tyrese Maxey when his rookie deal ends -- which is a big deal. He looks like he's going to be an All-Star at some point in his career. Melton is quietly one of the best defenders in the league. Embiid is an MVP. Harden is a former MVP who is still capable of scoring 40 in the playoffs against a good team. He has a lot of flaws but he's giving them more of a chance to get to the Finals than Ben Simmons was so they've at least bounced back a little from the Jimmy Butler blunder.

I've clowned on the Sixers a lot in the past over their playoff futility but just looking at this roster, I think they have enough juice to remain competitive for at least another 5 years. If they'd gotten swept, that's cause for concern but losing a Game 7 to last year's Eastern Conference champ? It's a missed opportunity just like our series loss was for us but they should at least be confident that they have a mix of players which is working. As long as they can keep Embiid healthy they'll be in the mix.
To quote JJ Reddick quoting Doc on Twitter, I think there is an issue of cooperativeness with the last few Doc Rivers' team constructs. If Doc is saying the Clippers "didn't get along well enough as a group", I felt the lack of harmony in this Sixers team throughout the season as well.

You are correct though that this is definitely a deep enough team to run it back for the most part. If I was the Sixers organization, I'd seriously consider a different PR team or some such ways to create a better culture within the organization and its fans. (Personally, I'd also consider replacing Doc but that's my NBA 2K Franchise mode player in me talking...)

Tobias Harris' $40 million per coming off the books means they can afford to keep Tyrese Maxey when his rookie deal ends -- which is a big deal. He looks like he's going to be an All-Star at some point in his career. Melton is quietly one of the best defenders in the league. Embiid is an MVP. Harden is a former MVP who is still capable of scoring 40 in the playoffs against a good team. He has a lot of flaws but he's giving them more of a chance to get to the Finals than Ben Simmons was so they've at least bounced back a little from the Jimmy Butler blunder.

I've clowned on the Sixers a lot in the past over their playoff futility but just looking at this roster, I think they have enough juice to remain competitive for at least another 5 years. If they'd gotten swept, that's cause for concern but losing a Game 7 to last year's Eastern Conference champ? It's a missed opportunity just like our series loss was for us but they should at least be confident that they have a mix of players which is working. As long as they can keep Embiid healthy they'll be in the mix.
Competitive? Yes, for sure, no doubt. Even a contender, the question is where they head from here, up or down? Now we see if the undoubted negativity surrounding them does any damage and how much. Embiid already kind of called out his teammates saying he needs help. Are the Tuckers or even Maxey's of the world enough? I guess we might find out. It's certainly possible. But even if they aren't truly so, they look to be kind of stuck in the middle by the results. As for Harris, I'm saying to augment their team in a major way should it be necessary would be unlikely other than trading out key pieces. Even then it would be tough. Depending on what Harden is looking for (he did already give them a sweetheart deal so maybe he will again) will determine how stuck they are should they decline at some point.

To quote JJ Reddick quoting Doc on Twitter, I think there is an issue of cooperativeness with the last few Doc Rivers' team constructs. If Doc is saying the Clippers "didn't get along well enough as a group", I felt the lack of harmony in this Sixers team throughout the season as well.

You are correct though that this is definitely a deep enough team to run it back for the most part. If I was the Sixers organization, I'd seriously consider a different PR team or some such ways to create a better culture within the organization and its fans. (Personally, I'd also consider replacing Doc but that's my NBA 2K Franchise mode player in me talking...)
The thing is though is Harden. What does he want and for how long? If I'm the Sixers I'm desperate to try and convince him to just opt in but him using the Rockets as leverage during the season is a huge concern IMO.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Competitive? Yes, for sure, no doubt. Even a contender, the question is where they head from here, up or down? Now we see if the undoubted negativity surrounding them does any damage and how much. Embiid already kind of called out his teammates saying he needs help. Are the Tuckers or even Maxey's of the world enough? I guess we might find out. It's certainly possible. But even if they aren't truly so, they look to be kind of stuck in the middle by the results. As for Harris, I'm saying to augment their team in a major way should it be necessary would be unlikely other than trading out key pieces. Even then it would be tough. Depending on what Harden is looking for (he did already give them a sweetheart deal so maybe he will again) will determine how stuck they are should they decline at some point.
If Harden thinks he can find a competitive team with enough cap space to max him out, that's fine. That means the Sixers will have $80-90 million in cap space in 2024 to re-sign Maxey and Melton and then find some shooters to spread the floor. I still think I'd rather have Embiid, Daryl Morey, and a ton of cap space than pretty much any other situation in the East. Milwaukee's got the oldest roster in the league and just fired a great coach for no reason. The Celtics are coming to a crossroads next year regarding Jaylen Brown and his willingness to test the free agency market. I don't even know if they're still a playoff team without him.

I try to avoid Twitter and ESPN so I don't know what everyone is referring to about Embiid and co. campaigning for the MVP award -- but he led the NBA in PPG while helping his team finish with the 3rd best record and the guys who were second and third in scoring (Doncic and Lillard) didn't even make the playoffs. Giannis and Tatum also had strong cases -- Giannis because he's also a top 10 defender and Tatum because he played 74 out of 82 and Boston won 57 games. Giannis has already won the MVP award twice though and Embiid finished second in voting the last two years in a row (to Jokic both times) so the voters decided (correctly, I think) that it was his turn.

Sure, Jokic flirting with averaging a triple-double is impressive. That was an automatic MVP award back when Russ did it in 2017 but I think the voters have caught on to the fact that the pace of the game, the volume of 3pt shooting, and the rules adjustments which make it nearly impossible to apply defensive pressure without fouling have all cheapened the value of that achievement. Russ did it 4 times and only won the MVP once. Jokic's Nuggets finishing the season with an underwhelming 12-11 record after the All-Star break pretty much put an end to his chances of getting 3 in a row.
I'm not saying he didn't deserve it but it was just gross how Doc and media made it a sure thing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

you summed it up perfectly here. I want to add that Lebron when he was in Miami and his second stint with Cleveland could of won 3-4 MVPs but the NBA and the members who vote for the award decided that its best to spread the wealth around and that was exactly the reason I picked Embiid to be the MVP this year rather than Jokic for a third straight time or Giannis for a third time. Next season could very well be Tatum's turn or maybe even Doncic if his team is a top 5 seed

Status
Not open for further replies.