NBA Draft: What Will The Kings Do?

Who Will The Kings End Up With From The Lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

That 6-11-Duarte for 4 deal not looking so crazy now.

What if they took out Duarte though? Are you pulling the trigger on 6-11 for 4 straight up?
I think I'd probably need another protected pick to get it done. Something like the lotto protected Pacers pick next year or the Cavs pick they're also theoretically getting next year. I'd be willing to give the Pacers their second round pick next year back to get it done.

I think I'd probably need another protected pick to get it done. Something like the lotto protected Pacers pick next year or the Cavs pick they're also theoretically getting next year. I'd be willing to give the Pacers their second round pick next year back to get it done.
why didn’t Turner and Sabonis work again? Thought they’d compliment each other perfectly

Guess who just so happens has a pile of expirings and a conveniently cheap starting C????
100% I'd do the trade. If Hayward is healthy, he's a + for the team and fills all of our positions of need.
View attachment 11097
His ankles are wrecked. That’s taking on a ton of salary for a guy that can’t be counted on to play
Yeah, no thanks...

Does anyone REALLY want to risk seeing this all over again, but this time in Sacramento??

why didn’t Turner and Sabonis work again? Thought they’d compliment each other perfectly
They were okay. But while Turner CAN shoot from outside, camping him at the 3 point line eliminates some of his value as an offensive rebounder and inside scorer. He shot more from inside the paint than he did from outside, so there were also still some spacing issues. And neither guy can really guard effectively on the perimeter.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
After seeing the mock draft on TV I'm pumped and ready. Wish the draft were today. Couldn't help but laugh when the talking heads were talking about the speed of Ivey, saying he's the 2nd fastest player in the last 23 years. And who was the first? No, not Fox you dummies.:p:D Fox doesn't really exist in the media anymore. He's like a ghost. Of course it's..... Ja Morant! So if Ivey does join the Kings I guess Fox will be the 2nd fastest player on the team.

After seeing the mock draft on TV I'm pumped and ready. Wish the draft were today. Couldn't help but laugh when the talking heads were talking about the speed of Ivey, saying he's the 2nd fastest player in the last 23 years. And who was the first? No, not Fox you dummies.:p:D Fox doesn't really exist in the media anymore. He's like a ghost. Of course it's..... Ja Morant! So if Ivey does join the Kings I guess Fox will be the 2nd fastest player on the team.
Same. I've adjusted my work schedule so I can get off early to be able to watch the draft in its entirety. I am so ready for this.

Which mock draft was this? I'm curious who they had the Kings taking and/or trading for.

I assume @Kingster and I were both watching the same mock draft (ESPN), and they had us drafting Ivey, but also indicated that we could also end up moving the pick on draft day..
Got it. If the Kings stay at #4 I think Ivey should be the pick. And if they move down, it should be for a really good return.

I'd be happy with #5 and Bey for #4 and the Kings could draft Murray. Or they make it a three team deal with Charlotte to send Bey and Holmes to the Hornets and get back Washington, #15 and either Plumlee (partially guaranteed) or Oubre. This would help the Hornets re-sign Bridges by flipping Washington (who's in the last year of his deal) for Bey who has two years left and a cost controlled option at center.

If the Kings trade with the Pacers, I wouldn't want Brogdon. If they could get Duarte and #6 and send Brogdon to NY for #11 I'd take that deal.

Grab Daniels at 6 (I'm assuming Ivey and Murray go 4,5) BPA at #11 (Sochan, Griffin, Eason, maybe even Duren), and ideally swap Barnes for John Collins.

Sabonis
Collins
Daniels
Duarte or DiVincenzo
Fox

is a nice starting lineup and there'd be some decent bench depth as well with Mitchell, Duarte or DDV, Lyles, whoever they draft at #11 and any FA signings.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That’s what happens when you’re voted the fastest guy, get hyped as the fastest guy, then put on a bunch of muscle and look anything but for 3/4ths of the year.

Got it. If the Kings stay at #4 I think Ivey should be the pick. And if they move down, it should be for a really good return.

I'd be happy with #5 and Bey for #4 and the Kings could draft Murray. Or they make it a three team deal with Charlotte to send Bey and Holmes to the Hornets and get back Washington, #15 and either Plumlee (partially guaranteed) or Oubre. This would help the Hornets re-sign Bridges by flipping Washington (who's in the last year of his deal) for Bey who has two years left and a cost controlled option at center.

If the Kings trade with the Pacers, I wouldn't want Brogdon. If they could get Duarte and #6 and send Brogdon to NY for #11 I'd take that deal.

Grab Daniels at 6 (I'm assuming Ivey and Murray go 4,5) BPA at #11 (Sochan, Griffin, Eason, maybe even Duren), and ideally swap Barnes for John Collins.

Sabonis
Collins
Daniels
Duarte or DiVincenzo
Fox

is a nice starting lineup and there'd be some decent bench depth as well with Mitchell, Duarte or DDV, Lyles, whoever they draft at #11 and any FA signings.
Yeah, the more I actually sit back and think about things, the more convinced I am that there may be more value in the middle of round 1 than even in the beginning. If we can swing a trade down for multiple picks in return, I'm all for that.

Same. This is probably the most buzz worthy event for the Kings since the 2018 draft. Whatever happens, there's a strong chance it becomes the most impactful event for this franchise for the few years.
Yeah, but unlike Vlade in the 2018 draft, I actually trust Monte to make the correct pick tomorrow night.

I will never forgive Vlade for that. Not even after I find my way to my grave.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Worked out alright but neither could guard the perimeter.
Which mock draft was this? I'm curious who they had the Kings taking and/or trading for.
It was on ESPN with Woj and Jay Bilas yesterday. They underlined that the draft starts with the Kings at #4. After #4 there is a perception around the league there is a drop-off. Ivey is the key guy in the top of the draft, maybe not the best guy, but key to what follows. FWIW, Woj said that if a deal happens it will probably happen tomorrow on Draft Day. Didn't go into detail on the possible deals. From what Woj said it sounded to me like the Kings were asking a lot for the #4. Woj implied the Kings would probably have to drop their asking price, but he obviously doesn't know any more than you or I on that score.

Being a Kings' fan, I'm of course going to give you my most optimistic spin. McNair has proven over two years that he's not going to lose his shirt on any deal. In fact, the deals that he has made support the notion that he's going to get his money's worth and more. So he's not going to be viewed by other GMs around the league as someone they can manipulate, snooker, or cajole. They all should know at this point that he's willing to draft the BPA, even though he's a "redundant" player in an overloaded position because he actually did it with Halliburton and Mitchell. To me, all of the above gives McNair great leverage in these negotiations. If we had a rookie GM with no proven track record I think it would be entirely different and the leverage would be reduced to nil.

If we draft Ivey and keep him that means Brown thinks he can teach him to play D and work well with Fox (or that Monte has offers for Fox, but I think Fox and Sabonis may have already taken a shine to each other). There's pressure to make the playoffs which is my one reservation with Ivey, I think it will be a 2-3 year project to get everyone to fit vs. some type of move that produced 2 players that can contribute right away. I hope Brown's resume and recent success with the Warriors is enough to produce buy-in. That's really the key no matter what we do after three years of zero-responsibility between Luke and an interim coach.
I still can’t believe we kept Luke Walton for that long. That set us back just as much as 2018 did, if you ask me.

It was on ESPN with Woj and Jay Bilas yesterday. They underlined that the draft starts with the Kings at #4. After #4 there is a perception around the league there is a drop-off. Ivey is the key guy in the top of the draft, maybe not the best guy, but key to what follows. FWIW, Woj said that if a deal happens it will probably happen tomorrow on Draft Day. Didn't go into detail on the possible deals. From what Woj said it sounded to me like the Kings were asking a lot for the #4. Woj implied the Kings would probably have to drop their asking price, but he obviously doesn't know any more than you or I on that score.

Being a Kings' fan, I'm of course going to give you my most optimistic spin. McNair has proven over two years that he's not going to lose his shirt on any deal. In fact, the deals that he has made support the notion that he's going to get his money's worth and more. So he's not going to be viewed by other GMs around the league as someone they can manipulate, snooker, or cajole. They all should know at this point that he's willing to draft the BPA, even though he's a "redundant" player in an overloaded position because he actually did it with Halliburton and Mitchell. To me, all of the above gives McNair great leverage in these negotiations. If we had a rookie GM with no proven track record I think it would be entirely different and the leverage would be reduced to nil.
Yeah barring a really bad trade or really reaching for a prospect outside of our range, I don't see McNair losing out on this deal. Take Ivey or Murray or get an established player that fits and drop a few spots and get a prospect slotted for that range and be done with it. If one of the top 3 drops, then take one of those guys.

I still can’t believe we kept Luke Walton for that long. That set us back just as much as 2018 did, if you ask me.
20-21 should have played out how 21-22 did. The only saving grace is if Mike Brown is the real deal I am not sure he'd have been the guy last year. Even if he was, the assignments and results he had in GS this season might be the difference in how effective he is tuning certain guys in and out.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That’s what happens when you’re voted the fastest guy, get hyped as the fastest guy, then put on a bunch of muscle and look anything but for 3/4ths of the year.
To be fair, John Wall and Russell Westbrook also got left out of the fastest guy discussion for some reason

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think they got it wrong there. If there is one player that is the fastest with the ball it is prime Russ, he was lightning.