NBA Draft: What Will The Kings Do?

Who Will The Kings End Up With From The Lottery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m assuming that a Collins trade without the 4 pick included would have to include a future pick. Maybe Barnes + a top 10 protected pick next year for Collins or something? We keep the the 4 and pick Ivey and roll out a

Sabonis
Collins
???(Porter?)
Ivey
Fox

lineup.
I honestly would probably prefer the cap flexibility of Barnes off the books next season and our pick over that.
I wouldn't. If you can add Collins without giving up this years pick, what could we possibly add talent wise that's even close to Collins? He's young, he's locked up long-term and perfectly on the age curve with everyone else. And he really is a glove offensive fit.

Fox || Mitchell
Ivey || DDV
???
Colins
Sabonis

Go find 3-4 defensive role players and you're really cooking with something. That's as talented a Kings roster as we've had since 2002.

Collins is on the trade block because Atlanta crashed this year and they has just locked him in into a pretty hefty contract. From Atlanta’s perspective they are looking to get away from that salary.

He not going to cost a great deal so pick was talk was already a huge stretch. I doubt Barnes is included in that deal. It will likely be a future pick and some expering deals if it even gets to a trade. Its more likely to be a trade similar to Wood to Dallas trade.

I do see Ivey as a SG. More of a Mitchell type than a Fox type. While not the perfect pairing, Fox-Ivey backcourt could work well, especially woth Sabonis initiating the offense.

This is about asset collection for us. Getting Collins for expirings and a future pick makes sense for us because we ain’t signing a FA that is at Collins level so the only way to get them is via a trade. While not a great defender, he is a solid fit at PF next to Sabonis.

Collins is not the worst starting PF, he's a perfectly capable starter, does he help a below average team turn into a playoff team? Not sure, at the very least he's an exciting player if the Kings collapse and he's good enough with that salary to trade again. He can also play small ball C when Sabonis is resting (yes the defense will suck) which allows the Kings to play 2 SF's with him. I would still prefer Zinger/Rui (if they offer it) over anything.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Collins is not the worst starting PF, he's a perfectly capable starter, does he help a below average team turn into a playoff team? Not sure, at the very least he's an exciting player if the Kings collapse and he's good enough with that salary to trade again. He can also play small ball C when Sabonis is resting (yes the defense will suck) which allows the Kings to play 2 SF's with him. I would still prefer Zinger/Rui (if they offer it) over anything.
Collins wouldn't help the defense but Porzingis would likely make it league worst if he's starting with Sabonis.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think the most likely pick here is Keegan Murray if we stay in the 4-6 range. My pick would be Mathurin, preferably at 6 with additional assets coming our way in trade. I could also see us taking Ivey if we stay at 4 and Monte believes in his upside as a downhill scorer. But given everything that has been reported so far I think Murray is the target unless we get a huge trade offer that takes him out of our range.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Collins is more athletic. Shooting is about the same. Barnes is a better ball handler and can face up and drive. Collins hasn't really shown that in his game. Value wise, they're about the same.
Defensively, Collins is superior. Maybe offensively they are overall about the same.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Collins is on the trade block because Atlanta crashed this year and they has just locked him in into a pretty hefty contract. From Atlanta’s perspective they are looking to get away from that salary.

He not going to cost a great deal so pick was talk was already a huge stretch. I doubt Barnes is included in that deal. It will likely be a future pick and some expering deals if it even gets to a trade. Its more likely to be a trade similar to Wood to Dallas trade.

I do see Ivey as a SG. More of a Mitchell type than a Fox type. While not the perfect pairing, Fox-Ivey backcourt could work well, especially woth Sabonis initiating the offense.

This is about asset collection for us. Getting Collins for expirings and a future pick makes sense for us because we ain’t signing a FA that is at Collins level so the only way to get them is via a trade. While not a great defender, he is a solid fit at PF next to Sabonis.
In two or three years it could work well, maybe. In the meantime, there's much to improve upon to become a quality NBA starter. Sabonis has a multiplier effect, but two guards who aren't very good 3 point shooters is an issue.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't think he's superior. Different strengths? Barnes is better on the perimeter. Collins is better as a weak side shot blocker.
I don't buy that Barnes is better at the perimeter. If anything, Collins has superior lateral quickness. Barnes is older and has more refinement in his game, but I'll take the athletic DNA of Collins over Barnes. It's also a matter of how each complements Sabonis, and I see Collins + Sabonis > Barnes + Sabonis because of Collins' superior athleticism, which Sabonis doesn't have.

One thing that I don't know about Collins that I do know about Barnes is Barnes just doesn't mix it up in games, going to the floor for loose balls, getting into scrums, setting tough screens, being a junkyard dog. Barnes is a pretty boy. I like his professionalism and his outside shot, but he's never going to be the guy you want to go to war with. Barnes' idea of confrontation is a smirk, and I mean that literally. Frankly, Collins is a unknown for me in that regard, but he can't be any worse than Barnes.

Well, whatever it is that the Kings decide to do, they will most likely decide to do while I am sitting on my couch watching the draft. I am considering adjusting my work schedule a bit that day so I can begin a bit early, and clock out before the draft so I can get done with dinner, cleaning up, etc. before it begins. I really want to sit down and watch it this year.

I don't buy that Barnes is better at the perimeter. If anything, Collins has superior lateral quickness. Barnes is older and has more refinement in his game, but I'll take the athletic DNA of Collins over Barnes. It's also a matter of how each complements Sabonis, and I see Collins + Sabonis > Barnes + Sabonis because of Collins' superior athleticism, which Sabonis doesn't have.

One thing that I don't know about Collins that I do know about Barnes is Barnes just doesn't mix it up in games, going to the floor for loose balls, getting into scrums, setting tough screens, being a junkyard dog. Barnes is a pretty boy. I like his professionalism and his outside shot, but he's never going to be the guy you want to go to war with. Barnes' idea of confrontation is a smirk, and I mean that literally. Frankly, Collins is a unknown for me in that regard, but he can't be any worse than Barnes.
I agree... Barnes hasn't seemed like a plus perimeter defender for a number of years now.

Barnes is much stouter on the perimeter than Collins. Collins looks flashy on the perimeter, but he doesn’t set like Barnes sets his base. Collins is younger than Barnes, so there’s time, but i have Barnes a level above Collins as a perimeter defender.

My absolute dream is that we trade the pick for Bradley Beal in some sort of package. I won’t say it’s not possible but I don’t think it’s likely. A Fox/Beal/Sabonis core could be great and certainly would be the second best core in Sacramento history.

What I think is more likely is that we do a trade down for a good starter/mid lottery pick/rotation piece or filler.

My absolute dream is that we trade the pick for Bradley Beal in some sort of package. I won’t say it’s not possible but I don’t think it’s likely. A Fox/Beal/Sabonis core could be great and certainly would be the second best core in Sacramento history.

What I think is more likely is that we do a trade down for a good starter/mid lottery pick/rotation piece or filler.
Beal has one year left on his contract. He wouldn’t re-sign here

Beal has one year left on his contract. He wouldn’t re-sign here
I don’t think it’s completely out of the question that he wouldn’t re-sign/extend here depending on the circumstances. Depends on what his market is like among realistic pursuitors. And the idea of a Fox/Beal/Sabonis could be appealing to him, I mean that’s a better core than anything he had in Washington.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

My Wizards fan friend said that their fan base is flipping out over Jaden Ivey. I floated the idea of Beal and #10 for #4 and he didn't just say yes, he said hell yes. That's just one perspective, but Beal may be more obtainable than you think. The tough part would be matching Beal's salary. He has a player option for next season so he could opt out and then Washington gets nothing. It may be possible to arrange some kind of extension with Beal at the time of the trade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
My Wizards fan friend said that their fan base is flipping out over Jaden Ivey. I floated the idea of Beal and #10 for #4 and he didn't just say yes, he said hell yes. That's just one perspective, but Beal may be more obtainable than you think. The tough part would be matching Beal's salary. He has a player option for next season so he could opt out and then Washington gets nothing. It may be possible to arrange some kind of extension with Beal at the time of the trade.
Now Beal and 10 would be something to get excited about