NBA Draft Lottery

What pick will we end up with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Murray can shoot close to 40% from 3 and defend the 4 how can you NOT pick him unless Smith falls?

I guess if you really like Sharpe as a 3 and want to commit Barnes to be the starting 4 go for it? But I'm pretty ok drafting for need within 1/2 spots of the mock.
That's a reason to obviously consider him but because the Kings jumped up into an area they didn't expect to be with no truly horrendous fits to scratch off at the bat. This decision is hard to blow but might be as hard to figure out now, haha.

He was a rookie. Most of them look unplayable, a few of them look like studs then never get better, and a rare few are instant stars who turn into super stars. Let's revisit this conversation in a year or two and see where he stands on that continuum.
A developed 23 year old rookie. Him while in a position to produce was never a question, the question was the Kings ability to put him there and guess what, it was a problem until they moved Haliburton. To which Davion literally said something about how they knew it was going to come at some point. haha.

Ivey’s highlights look great, but he looked really awful in the games that I watched. Has a really loose handle and really, really bad defense. If you think Fox is bad at defense, wait until you watch Ivey. Fell on his ass trying to guard a player from that Cinderella team. And he’s probably going to shoot threes at a similar rate to Fox. That backcourt pairing will be a freaking disaster, if it happened. Trade down.
crap, I agree with kb02 on something. I have more hope for Ivey spacing to eventually become a weapon and his frame/athleticism does give him some potential to eventually learn defense. But I'd be surprised if he's a reliable spacer right away and it's basically a guarantee he's going to struggle on D for a year or 2 at least.

Ivey is a projection "potential" guy imo. You see the physical tools, the elite shot creation at the rim and hope the other stuff comes along down the line.

What's interesting here is we get my most coveted player at 4, but the "reach at 4" is being mocked at 3. No idea who these dudes are, but if Murray moves up in the mocks at least we can make the pick without LOLKANGZ if everyone decides its a reach.

Even if now that the draft order is set, we might see Murray mocked in the top 4 based on needs and guys wanting to be "right".

What's interesting here is we get my most coveted player at 4, but the "reach at 4" is being mocked at 3. No idea who these dudes are, but if Murray moves up in the mocks at least we can make the pick without LOLKANGZ if everyone decides its a reach.

Even if now that the draft order is set, we might see Murray mocked in the top 4 based on needs and guys wanting to be "right".
Flat out, would it really be a shock to see even someone like Sharpe go number 1? Is anyone considering Murray reach at 4? 4-5 for a while from what I've seen but surely some of that was based on need. Ivey is 1 on some I've seen. No Zion this year.

crap, I agree with kb02 on something. I have more hope for Ivey spacing to eventually become a weapon and his frame/athleticism does give him some potential to eventually learn defense. But I'd be surprised if he's a reliable spacer right away and it's basically a guarantee he's going to struggle on D for a year or 2 at least.

Ivey is a projection "potential" guy imo. You see the physical tools, the elite shot creation at the rim and hope the other stuff comes along down the line.
The world ends. :)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I can see any of the consensus top 4 players going #1 this year and the two guys I like the most aren't even in that consensus top 4 so this is not the year to be worrying about perception. Just take the player you like the best and trust your instincts. Or for that matter, that should be the policy every year. Drafts are only ever judged in retrospect anyway.

I’m a dummy who’s read (and just read, I don’t watch college ball) just enough to be educated enough to make myself look foolish, but everything I see across the board is safe pick. Immediate contributor. Won’t be bad. But doesn’t have quite that star upside. That’s cool at 7… but I’d rather take the upside shot over steady contributor.
Kings fans would do well to disabuse themselves of the notion that the 4th pick is somehow a gateway to "star upside." The team jumped to 4! That's great! It really is! They have more options from which to choose. But the history of the 4th pick is as scattered as you'd imagine, with maybe a player or two per decade on average who delivered on true star potential. The Kings could do so much worse than drafting a "safe pick" like Keegan Murray, who I honestly don't have a hard time also describing as BPA at the 4 spot.

I can see any of the consensus top 4 players going #1 this year and the two guys I like the most aren't even in that consensus top 4 so this is not the year to be worrying about perception. Just take the player you like the best and trust your instincts. Or for that matter, that should be the policy every year. Drafts are only ever judged in retrospect anyway.
And thank goodness no matter who they pick if these are the ones on the list aren't going to be creating another 3rd on the depth chart situation. They pretty much all should have a green light to start from day 1.

I don't think so. Ivey is an elite athlete with more muscle mass than Haliburton will probably ever have. Fox and Ivey would be a nightmare to match up with in terms of speed and their ability to create contact. Have to see the measurements first though.
Ivey is a suspect outside shooter. If you are going for elite athlete you take Sharpe. He at least has the length to guard the 3.

Kings fans would do well to disabuse themselves of the notion that the 4th pick is somehow a gateway to "star upside." The team jumped to 4! That's great! It really is! They have more options from which to choose. But the history of the 4th pick is as scattered as you'd imagine, with maybe a player or two per decade on average who delivered on true star potential. The Kings could do so much worse than drafting a "safe pick" like Keegan Murray, who I honestly don't have a hard time also describing as BPA at the 4 spot.
I was still pretty confident with the choices as deep as 10 not being a bad fit, but security that any of the choices they might go with won't get jerked around and sandbagged for fit reasons is an odd feeling.

Ivey is a suspect outside shooter. If you are going for elite athlete you take Sharpe. He at least has the length to guard the 3.
Excited for more things to come out about Sharpe. The archetype (6'6, 7'0 wingspan, great athleticism, looks like he filled out his body from some recent workouts videos, going to just turn 19 on May 30) with shot creation and a great jumper? Tantalizing. I just don't know where or how you translate those skills without any film vs higher level comp. It probably translates well, but we have a whole lot of film on the Chet/Jabari/Paolo/Keegan/Ivey being really dang good in college.

Should be fun.

I could see McNair picking Ivey. I just don't think Banchero is there at #4.
I agreed, I watched all the highlights and I like Ivey better. His footwork is amazing, he's like Ja Morant out there. I don't think Banchero still available at #4, I think he should be #1, he's so strong...he makes Holmgren looks like paper.

I see some parallels between Wagner and Murray. Both Sophmores who greatly improved their second year, late growth spurt and of similar size, both played in the big ten, had poor (for them) games to end their college careers, viewed as having limited upside and a relatively safe pick. Neither known as shot creators but both considered high IQ.

obviously they are totally different players and skill sets but interesting nonetheless

Totally forgot the lottery was today. Great news! Of course they jumped up to the one BPA position that they don't need but that's okay. If Smith or Banchero drop, you take them.

Ideally I'd like to trade back if Ivey is BPA but I don't like our trade down candidates in the top 10. Seems like they either already have a good SG/PG or don't have much to give us back.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I like the results of the lottery. Sure, I would prefer to pick first, but which team would not? 2nd or 3rd would have been nice as well. At least we're not picking 7th or lower.

Before I go on, I need to get this out of the way....I am VERY high on Banchero. I think his game is going to translate over to the NBA very well.

With that being said, I might suffer from a heart attack if he is wearing a Kings hat on June 23rd. Because I do not see ANY scenario playing out that sees him drop out of the top 3. He's way too good of a talent to pass up.

Ideally, I'd love to see Chet Holmgren come to Sacramento, but even he won't drop out of the top 3 in my honest opinion. So that leaves us with Jaden Ivey, Keegan Murray, and Bennedict Mathurin. I doubt we go with Ivey because we seem to be set at that position. And I'd much rather us stay away from Mathurin - I just don't see him being an effective player in the big leagues, and his game also didn't impress me a whole lot the few times I did watch him play.

Which leaves us with just one.

Keegan Murray.

I'll be very happy if he finds himself wearing a Kings hat on June 23rd.

My top 3 (for the Kings) at this very moment are as follows:

1. Banchero
2. Holmgren
3. Murray

If we end up with either of the above, I'd consider our draft a success. If not, I'll be looking very hard at the prospects for 2023.

First, I don't know of anyone that thinks Murray should play the 5. Murray is a PF who can play some SF. In college he defended the pick and roll beautifully, so I have no idea why you said he would get caught on them. Sometimes I think you just make this crap up. If there's one player that I know in this draft it Murray. I watched over 20 of his games, and several 2 or 3 times. I just finished watching several of his games again to refresh my thoughts on him. Murray isn't an elite athlete, but he's a very good athlete, which I'm sure the combine will show. Also, just how do you know that Sharpe is a beast physically? I've watched a ton of film on him, and some of it is very good, and some it is not so good. He's certainly a gifted athlete who at times reminded me of, and don't take this and run with it, Kobe!

In Sharpe's case I think the individual workouts will determine his future. If he blows Monte away, and he decides on Sharpe, then I just go with his judgement since I have nothing to rebut it with. In Murray's case, I'll admit that I'm biased. He's my favorite player in this draft, just like Haliburton was two years ago. I was right about Haliburton, and I'm right about Murray. I think what frustrates people about Murray is that they can't find anything really bad about him. He does just about everything really well, and somehow, that's bad... Many have called him the safe pick, and immediately people think that means there's no upside. Not true!
Could not agree more, you absolutely nailed it! There is a lack of ego to the way Keegan Murray plays that I think gets in the way of peoples appreciation of him. Almost like people need to see a player impressed with himself to be assured that they should be confident in him. Keep sleeping on the humility and he’ll eat your lunch on both ends of the court. He reminds me of Jerry West and Mikal Bridges in a way. He might look too conservative/vanilla in his movements right now for all of those that think he doesn’t have enough upside but when he gets out of Iowa and starts playing with more creative guys everyday he’ll loosen up and the flavor will pop, as well as his underrated athleticism. Best player in the draft IMHO and if we walk away with Murray and Jake Laravia I would be overjoyed.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So we all wanted the kings to jump in the draft and it happened. Now we gotta band together and want Ivey and sharpe to jump up to the top 3 picks and we get our pick of Chet, Paola or Smith jr.
I’m happy with any of the big theee… someone please fall in love with the Ja Morant comp. Please.

I hope Ivey destroys those chairs in workouts. And if he doesn’t destroy the chairs hard enough for the top three, I hope he destroys them hard enough for McNair.

I’m happy with any of the big theee… someone please fall in love with the Ja Morant comp. Please.

I hope Ivey destroys those chairs in workouts. And if he doesn’t destroy the chairs hard enough for the top three, I hope he destroys them hard enough for McNair.
Sharpe is the one that has been destroying the cones lately.

There was an interview with a scout for the Miami Heat a while back ( sorry, I don't remember with who), and he was asked their philosophy in the draft. Do they go for the home run? He said their policy was to go for the double, you tend to have much more success that way.

There was an interview with a scout for the Miami Heat a while back ( sorry, I don't remember with who), and he was asked their philosophy in the draft. Do they go for the home run? He said their policy was to go for the double, you tend to have much more success that way.
Hence why they took Kirk Hinrich over Dwyane Wade. Wait a minute.... haha. This is also kind of unfair though, Miami can usually have decent odds of guaranteeing home runs with their cap space in FA. If Sacramento has a chance to hit a homer, they have to consider it since they rarely ever get up to bat.

Speaking of Wade, there might be some of him in that Ivey guy.