NBA Draft Lottery

What pick will we end up with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If it’s not 1/2, 99.9% we trade the pick.
That is always a possibility before the actual draft. But, I was more so asking about the lottery itself, not necessarily what we will actually be doing on draft day.

Realizing that I could have, and should have, worded my question better, what I meant to ask, and what I am most interested in knowing, is what everyone PREDICTS our draft position to be at the conclusion of the lottery, knowing very well that the pick can be dealt at some point leading up to the actual draft.

In order to minimize the risk of coming out of the lottery feeling disappointed, I say that we neither move up nor down from our projected pick; "Lucky" number 7 it will be.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If somehow the lottery wound up that way and the Magic did take Chet or Paulo #1, I think Jabari Smith is the the best fit for the Kings.

I am bearish on Smith's star potential but he'd be a day one floor spacer who wouldn't be awful defensively and has the ability to be good on that end.

Another option would be offering #2 to OKC for #6 and #12.

Based on Tankathon's mock the Kings could have Shaedon Sharpe and Tari Eason with those picks . . .

If somehow the lottery wound up that way and the Magic did take Chet or Paulo #1, I think Jabari Smith is the the best fit for the Kings.

I am bearish on Smith's star potential but he'd be a day one floor spacer who wouldn't be awful defensively and has the ability to be good on that end.

Another option would be offering #2 to OKC for #6 and #12.

Based on Tankathon's mock the Kings could have Shaedon Sharpe and Tari Eason with those picks . . .
thats best case scenario for me. Move up with the lotto and trade down to get two young players. This is under the assumption that Brown and co are amazing at developing talent.

Well, here we are folks. Time to see if the "Lottery Gods" are finally on our side.

NOTE: They are not, so prepare to be disappointed...

What pick will we end up with?
I am sorry, but I am pretty tired of this take that we have no lottery luck. We have had about the same type of lottery luck you would expect for a team in the lottery every year. We can't draft worth a damn, (last two years notwithstanding) but our recent lottery luck has been pretty average. In fact, the last time we moved down in the lottery was 2014, when we fell from 7 to 8, and drafted Stauskas.

2014- fell from 7 to 8, drafted Stauskas
2015- stayed at 6- drafted Willie
2016- stayed at 8 - traded down to 13 to draft Papa G
2017- moved up from 8 to 3 (and ultimately down to 5 because of the trade with Philly) - drafted Fox
2018- moved up from 7 to 2- drafted Bagley
2019- stayed at 14- no pick
2020- stayed at 12- drafted Tyrese
20210 stayed at 9- drafted Davion

So in the past 8 years we have moved up 25% of the time (2/8), moved down 12.5% of the time (1/8) and stayed put 62.5% of the time (5/8). That is actually pretty consistent with the actual odds, especially when you consider that we have never been positioned higher than 6th going into the lottery and routinely have pretty low odds of moving up (especially before they flattened the odds).

Our luck over the past 5 has been even better- moved up 2 times and stayed put 3 times. No move downs. So we've had better than average luck, especially for having the 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, and 14th worst records those years.

So don't cry about luck; cry about what we've done with our relatively favorable or (at worst) neutral luck.

I am sorry, but I am pretty tired of this take that we have no lottery luck. We have had about the same type of lottery luck you would expect for a team in the lottery every year. We can't draft worth a damn, (last two years notwithstanding) but our recent lottery luck has been pretty average. In fact, the last time we moved down in the lottery was 2014, when we fell from 7 to 8, and drafted Stauskas.

2017- moved up from 8 to 3 (and ultimately down to 5 because of the trade with Philly) - drafted Fox

So in the past 8 years we have moved up 25% of the time (2/8), moved down 12.5% of the time (1/8) and stayed put 62.5% of the time (5/8). That is actually pretty consistent with the actual odds, especially when you consider that we have never been positioned higher than 6th going into the lottery and routinely have pretty low odds of moving up (especially before they flattened the odds).

Our luck over the past 5 has been even better- moved up 2 times and stayed put 3 times. No move downs. So we've had better than average luck, especially for having the 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, and 14th worst records those years.

So don't cry about luck; cry about what we've done with our relatively favorable or (at worst) neutral luck.
Lottery luck would be defined as having greater odds to draft outside of the top 3, but moving up into the top 3. So, based on your logic, that's 25% of the time, which is not too bad at the end of the day, so I will give you that much.

But I am not buying your notion that "luck" is defined as staying put. There's nothing "lucky" about doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing to begin with.

I'm still crying.

Lottery luck would be defined as having greater odds to draft outside of the top 3, but moving up into the top 3. So, based on your logic, that's 25% of the time, which is not too bad at the end of the day, so I will give you that much.

But I am not buying your notion that "luck" is defined as staying put. There's nothing "lucky" about doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing to begin with.

I'm still crying.
I agree that saying put isn't good luck. I think it is neutral luck. But that is better than bad luck. I would say that moving into the top 4 today would be good luck, staying at 7 is neutral luck, falling to 8 is bad luck, falling to 9 is really bad luck, and falling to 10 is catastrophically bad luck. So my point is that we haven't had "bad" lottery luck in 8 years. Which maybe means we are due... [knocking wood everywhere...]

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

In the span that we’ve missed the playoffs (16 years), the Cavs have had THREE 1st overall picks, the T-Wolves 2, the Pels 2, and all of them have gone through multiple rebuilds while we’ve languished in the same one. To suck this long without ever managing to rise up to the 1st overall pick is quite the spate of bad luck, I’d say.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Is there an option lower than 10? Like, we somehow have to forfeit our pick?
I mean, #11 is technically possible, it's just that the odds are vanishingly small. And if it happens there are going to be at least 6 other teams (and potentially more) also bemoaning how uniquely terrible their lottery luck is.

I agree that saying put isn't good luck. I think it is neutral luck. But that is better than bad luck. I would say that moving into the top 4 today would be good luck, staying at 7 is neutral luck, falling to 8 is bad luck, falling to 9 is really bad luck, and falling to 10 is catastrophically bad luck. So my point is that we haven't had "bad" lottery luck in 8 years. Which maybe means we are due... [knocking wood everywhere...]
I don't believe in what you consider to be "neutral luck". We either have good luck, bad luck, or no luck at all.

And, we're the Kings. We're never due. Knocking on wood won't work.

Monte with a pick in the 8-10 range >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vlade with the 2nd pick.

Even if we drop, I'm more hyped for the draft than when we had Big Doofus burying the franchise with his horrible decision making.

Still hoping we sneak into the top 3 of course!
THIS!

Tankathon gave me Paolo Banchero at 3 five out of ten tries. I’ll take that but say we stay at 7.
Actually just wish we could be in the top 6 instead of 7, I know 5 and 6 are not a possibility but that’s where Murray likely goes and he sounds like a great fit.