[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (OCT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pelicans are probably the hardest team to watch for whatever reason. A mixture of boring predictable basketball, non-exciting players outside of Davis/Boogie who are bigs therefor not THAT exciting anyways, mixed with the most boring arena in the entire league and jerseys.

It's just a really boring franchise they got going.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Pelicans are probably the hardest team to watch for whatever reason. A mixture of boring predictable basketball, non-exciting players outside of Davis/Boogie who are bigs therefor[sic] not THAT exciting anyways, mixed with the most boring arena in the entire league and jerseys.

It's just a really boring franchise they got going.
You and I are not working from the same definition of "exciting." Or "boring," for that matter.

So, let me see if I have this right: New Orleans' two biggest problems are perimeter defense, and lack of a starting-caliber SG... so, they dumped their best backup SG to sign Jameer Nelson?
Crawford wasnt their best SG. He may have been their best shot creating guard after Holiday, but that's all. With Rondo out Pels needed a steady guy, who can run an offense. Crawford isnt that guy. He is a me first chucker, who takes tons of bad shots. And we all know, that bad, rushed shots are a desaster waiting to happen on a team featuring DMC. Moore and Clark aren't special, but they are disciplined and will play within the offense. Cutting Crawford also forces Gentry to play Allen a bit more, which certainly is a good thing.
And Nelson already showed, that he can Do all the things, Crawford couldn't do. Without Nelson they lose against the Lakers. Nelson played smart and unselfish and never tried to do too much. He is a solid Nba player. Crawford like Gerald Green just doesn't get it and most likely never will.

Did you leave out a word on purpose? I didn't say that Crawford was their best SG.
Nah not on purpose. Just by mistake. Should read more carefully. ;)
But no matter what - Crawford wasn't their best backup SG either. That would be Moore or Clark.
Crawford can be torching hot sometimes and hit all kind of crazy shots, but that's about it. Not a good defender, no shot discipline at all, selfish, plays way over his head.
There is a reason why guys like him usually bounce around the league or even are forced to sign deals in China.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Moore and Clark are not SGs, in any competent coach's offense; that's just where they play in New Orleans' offense, because Gentry.

Crawford was their only SG who is an actual SG, which made him their best backup SG by default.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Odd body language in that Pels game when Nelson hit the decisive 3 point shot at the end of the game. Nobody was jumping up and down with glee. Maybe AD and Cousins were unhappy they didn't get a pass from Nelson.

Moore and Clark are not SGs, in any competent coach's offense; that's just where they play in New Orleans' offense, because Gentry.

Crawford was their only SG who is an actual SG, which made him their best backup SG by default.
What are Moore and Clark in your eyes?
But basically we are just debating semantics, because today it's mainly positionless basketball and Crawfords talents just didn't fit with the Pel's current needs. I think we can agree, that Crawford is simply not good enough to worry about.

Odd body language in that Pels game when Nelson hit the decisive 3 point shot at the end of the game. Nobody was jumping up and down with glee. Maybe AD and Cousins were unhappy they didn't get a pass from Nelson.
I agree it was a lucky bailout shot. Body language indeed seemed odd and as soon as things get tough, Cousins trust issues seem to become a thing again, resulting in a lot of 1vs1 basketball. Joerger had Cousins trust and managed to reduce this ISO basketball mindset in tough situations to a minimum during the 2016/17 season. Gentry and NOLA's teammates outside of AD have a long way to go in that regard. But I don't know, if I would trust a coach, who doesn't recognize AD being guarded by freaking Chandler Parsons for 10minutes+ and refuses to call a play to give him the ball on the low block, or teammates like Moore, who struggles with his handles a lot lately and throws all kind of bad entry passes.

I wish I would understand, what in the world Gentry is trying to do. But I honestly have not much of a clue. Cousins shooting 7.7 3's per game so far. AD is up to 3.7 attempts from 3. As a team they shoot 31 3's per game so far. That's good for the 8th place in the league ranking in that category. San Antonio, who have built around Gasol and Aldridge, are shooting only 16.5 3's per game. They run one of the highest paced offenses of the league so far.
So basically they play fast and shoot a lot of 3's, although they have subpar guards and wings and are built around the two most dominant big man of the decade. It's just entirely weird.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What are Moore and Clark in your eyes?
On any team that isn't full of one-dimensional guards who can't shoot, Ian Clark is a third-string PG, and E'Twaun Moore is a third-string SF. New Orleans is not such a team.

But basically we are just debating semantics, because today it's mainly positionless basketball and Crawfords talents just didn't fit with the Pel's current needs. I think we can agree, that Crawford is simply not good enough to worry about.
Well, we can't entirely agree on that, because my thesis was that they needed a starting SG more than they needed a backup PG. I stand by that argument, even in the aftermath of last night's game. I mean, Nelson provides them with maturity, but what he doesn't provide them with is a third scoring option, which is where New Orleans' offense tends to fall apart.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
From my point of view, nobody should have been jumping up and down with glee. Nobody should be gleeful about narrowly not losing to the gd lakers, after blowing a 22-point second half lead. The best emotion that they were entitled to was exasperated relief. They should be embarrassed, not happy.

OG Anunoby has been playing very well for the Raptors.. He's a legitimate 6'8 235lb SF.... and he's 2 years younger than Justin Jackson..

I'd like to see Jackson step up his game pretty soon. There's nothing about him that has impressed me.

On any team that isn't full of one-dimensional guards who can't shoot, Ian Clark is a third-string PG, and E'Twaun Moore is a third-string SF. New Orleans is not such a team.

Well, we can't entirely agree on that, because my thesis was that they needed a starting SG more than they needed a backup PG. I stand by that argument, even in the aftermath of last night's game. I mean, Nelson provides them with maturity, but what he doesn't provide them with is a third scoring option, which is where New Orleans' offense tends to fall apart.
Yeah in this case we have to agree to disagree. No matter which team they are on, all of them are guards. Moore never played SF in his career and was always used as a spot shooter and secondary ball handler. Wether you are labeled a PG or a SG really doesn't matter anymore on offense. It's the defense, that can cause problems, when players lack the length or the footspeed to guard their assigned position.
Well Crawford, Clark and Moore all are roughly the same size with Moore having the largest wingspan. Both Clark and Moore defend bigger guards way better than Crawford. All of them are bench players at best. Crawford is an instant offense dude, while Clark and Moore are system players.
Do the Pelicans need an instant offense guy? I don't think so at all. All Crawford does is jack up shots, stall the ball and player movement and play 1vs1. I know some believe to run a good offense you need guys able to break down their man 1vs1, but when it comes to bench units I simply disagree. A good offense is based on good screens, good ball movement and good player movement. Clark is a very capable player in such an offense.
The main problem of the Pel's was, that they lacked a guy, who could run the pick&roll, until Rondo comes back. Nelson, while being nothing more than a 3rd PG anymore, still helps with that.

And btw. you don't pay Holiday big bucks and don't expect him to be the 3rd option on offense. In order to get into the Playoffs Holiday has to step up his game. If that doesn't happen Crawford is certainly not the guy, who will move the needle for a team. Holiday's performance so far, has been terrible.

Last edited:
Memphis has come out on fire this season even with a injury to Green, they whooped GSW, easily beat the Pelicans and rallied behind a massive 4th quarter from Mike Conley to beat Houston. The likes of Ennis/Martin/Chalmers/Evans so far have made a solid impact.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Rudy Gay is currently playing Center for the Spurs. And he is making his living down low, scoring on a hook, an and-1, and free throws from a post drive.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
But I thought Rudy sucked or whatever
Rudy Gay, important role-player on good team >>>>> Rudy Gay, 2nd best player on crappy team

(I assume. I've only seen about 10 minutes of Rude Gay/Role Player, but I was impressed)

------

As for the night's game... the Ball/Wall matchup has been a lousy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.