[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on what we have seen so far in 10-12 games who do we like for the playoffs in the West? Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, clippers and Jazz are my locks. Blazers. Mavs. That leaves us fighting with Minny for that last spot. (Too many injuries for the warriors and I anticipate a drop off by the Suns. Spurs will make a run but it’s time for them to sit the playoffs out)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not a great look for your team when your future hopes and dreams seem to mostly be resting on the shoulders of Jakob Poltl.
I mean, Murray can ball. Forbes is still on wait-and-see status. But yeah, if they're looking at Poeltl to be their third-best player moving forward, they're on a slow boat to "expansionism."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So based on what we have seen so far in 10-12 games who do we like for the playoffs in the West? Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, clippers and Jazz are my locks. Blazers. Mavs. That leaves us fighting with Minny for that last spot. (Too many injuries for the warriors and I anticipate a drop off by the Suns. Spurs will make a run but it’s time for them to sit the playoffs out)
You expect the Suns to drop off, after they get back their best player?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Suns look like more of a threat to make the playoffs than the Blazers

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They sure do right now but if you had to bet the farm on one of those two teams you’d take the Suns?
The Blazers are already having to rely on Dame and CJ having superstar nights every night just to stay in games. The Suns are missing players but even if they drop off, they're still probably in a better situation than the Blazers

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
They sure do right now but if you had to bet the farm on one of those two teams you’d take the Suns?
I would. The Trail Blazers' pieces don't fit. And they got rid of all the depth they had last year (Harkless, Kanter, Curry, Aminu, Leonard, Turner) that made them a dangerous team. Gave up all their depth, so that they could acquire Whiteside, and keep the homie Skal.

And, also, Terry Stotts is a **** coach. I've been trying to tell people for years.

I would. The Trail Blazers' pieces don't fit. And they got rid of all the depth they had last year (Harkless, Kanter, Curry, Aminu, Leonard, Turner) that made them a dangerous team. Gave up all their depth, so that they could acquire Whiteside, and keep the homie Skal.

And, also, Terry Stotts is a **** coach. I've been trying to tell people for years.
I can’t say without looking, but I can’t imagine too many 53 win teams who retained their two best players (in their prime) completely tanked the next season. Melo could add some scoring punch and Nurkic is supposed to return at the beginning of the year. If they can’t get it together by the all star break, heads will roll and trades will be made.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I can’t say without looking, but I can’t imagine too many 53 win teams who retained their two best players (in their prime) completely tanked the next season. Melo could add some scoring punch and Nurkic is supposed to return at the beginning of the year. If they can’t get it together by the all star break, heads will roll and trades will be made.
Scoring hasn't been their issue though. They have no depth especially around the wings and they may be too far out of the race by the time Nurk comes back for it to matter.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
"53 win team" seems like a suspiciously arbitrary limitation, but...
  • The mid-90s Nets went from 45 wins to 30, with their two best players still on their team.
  • The late-00s Bulls (pre-Rose) went from 49 wins, and a trip to the second round, to the lottery, with their two best players still on the team.
  • The early-00s Bucks went from 52 wins, and losing in the conference finals, to the lottery, with their whole-assed "Big Three" intact.
Maybe that last one is close enough for you? I don't know. You're also kind of taking it for granted that Lillard and/or McCollum will stay healthy all season. There's at least a half-dozen other teams that went from 50/50-adjacent wins to the lottery, because on of their best players sustained an injury.

"53 win team" seems like a suspiciously arbitrary limitation, but...
  • The mid-90s Nets went from 45 wins to 30, with their two best players still on their team.
  • The late-00s Bulls (pre-Rose) went from 49 wins, and a trip to the second round, to the lottery, with their two best players still on the team.
  • The early-00s Bucks went from 52 wins, and losing in the conference finals, to the lottery, with their whole-assed "Big Three" intact.
Maybe that last one is close enough for you? I don't know. You're also kind of taking it for granted that Lillard and/or McCollum will stay healthy all season. There's at least a half-dozen other teams that went from 50/50-adjacent wins to the lottery, because on of their best players sustained an injury.
Fair enough, but my money is still on the Blazers over the Suns. And hey, since you have the deed in hand, how about a non-monetary wager? If the Blazers have a better record than the Suns at the end of the year, you become a Kings fan again for a season :D

Status
Not open for further replies.