[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR)

He's looking at a one year prove it deal at this point. Nobody is going to give him big money with the guarantee of starting. And his rep has taken a huge hit. Hell he was fighting with his teammates the other night. I get wanting to start but if you're getting paid and adulation for being the best at what you're best at, I don't understand why he wouldn't just say "well dammit, I'm gonna be the best 6th man the league has ever seen".

He's looking at a one year prove it deal at this point. Nobody is going to give him big money with the guarantee of starting. And his rep has taken a huge hit. Hell he was fighting with his teammates the other night. I get wanting to start but if you're getting paid and adulation for being the best at what you're best at, I don't understand why he wouldn't just say "well dammit, I'm gonna be the best 6th man the league has ever seen".
Looks like his candle may be slowly running out of wax...

He needs a PR guy to come in and teach him how to talk to the media. He's like the most dishonest honest guy in the league. He always says stuff like I'm a team player so I'm not going to make any waves and complain about starting but I've earned the right to be the starter on any team in the league.

He's sorta like someone who says "I'm not racist, but..." and then goes on to say something racist. He always qualifies what he says as if he is a team player and then goes on to say something that's the opposite of what a team player would say.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He needs a PR guy to come in and teach him how to talk to the media. He's like the most dishonest honest guy in the league. He always says stuff like I'm a team player so I'm not going to make any waves and complain about starting but I've earned the right to be the starter on any team in the league.

He's sorta like someone who says "I'm not racist, but..." and then goes on to say something racist. He always qualifies what he says as if he is a team player and then goes on to say something that's the opposite of what a team player would say.
A PR guy won't help. IT can't help himself. He truly believes in himself to the point where he doesn't understand he's already exceeded what 999 out of 1000 men of his age and stature would be able to accomplish in the NBA. It's in his mindset and he'll never be able to change. He's never going to be satisfied with anything other than matching his mental image of himself with its physical manifestation, even if it's totally unrealistic.

This is what I saw in him right from the start. He's his own worst enemy.

A PR guy won't help. IT can't help himself. He truly believes in himself to the point where he doesn't understand he's already exceeded what 999 out of 1000 men of his age and stature would be able to accomplish in the NBA. It's in his mindset and he'll never be able to change. He's never going to be satisfied with anything other than matching his mental image of himself with its physical manifestation, even if it's totally unrealistic.

This is what I saw in him right from the start. He's his own worst enemy.
Yep. I don't have a problem with him thinking he's the best but don't go around talking like you are and especially don't jump down your teammates throats when you only play on one end of the court.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I truly believe Isaiah Thomas is the modern-day example of the Napoleon complex. I feel sorry for him because he could be such an incredible role model for young guys who may not have the height but have the heart. Had he been willing to accept a 6th man role, he might well still be here on the Kings. But in his mind he has to be THE guy, THE starter - and it might well end his career sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would love to hear the roar when the name "Stockton" is announced in Vivent Smart Home Arena. Oh wait. Looks like I might hear the roar since we play them tomorrow. :p

Papa G signed for rest of the season with Blazers per Woj.

Not watching today's game but as of today had yet to see the floor. Because the Kings waived him prior to March 1 he will be playoff eligible which means there is a chance he will taste the playoffs before Cousins :(

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yep. I don't have a problem with him thinking he's the best but don't go around talking like you are and especially don't jump down your teammates throats when you only play on one end of the court.
Exactly, the problem is not how he sees himself it is how he views, talked about and most importantly TREATS his teammates. I always wish IT the best and I have no trouble saying I was wrong in thinking he could not be a top starting PG in the game, he is. But if he wants to win on the big stage he HAS to do what greats do,make those around him better and earn their trust and respect as a teammate.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There have been fifty-four times in NBA history that a player has had 30+ points and 30+ rebounds in a game, including Dwight Howard's last night. Forty-four of those times, it was done by Wilt Chamberlain. Jerry Lucas and Walt Bellamy are the only other players to do it more than once.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So... I have a hot-takey sort of question, now that the Pelicans have won their forty-second game of the season: If DeMarcus Cousins is unable to finish the season, due to injury, but the team he was on had a winning record when he got injured, and that team finishes with a winning record, has he played on a winning team yet?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
New Orleans was 27-21 (+6) when Cousins went down, playing what was then the #1 ranked strength of schedule, according to TeamRankings.com. Since Cousins went down, they've gone 15-9 (+6), playing what is currently the #9 ranked strength of schedule, but has apparently been as low as #20 in the interim.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
New Orleans was 27-21 (+6) when Cousins went down, playing what was then the #1 ranked strength of schedule, according to TeamRankings.com. Since Cousins went down, they've gone 15-9 (+6), playing what is currently the #9 ranked strength of schedule, but has apparently been as low as #20 in the interim.
To be fair, if the Pelicans had the current supernova iteration of AD while Boogie was also beasting, they'd probably have had a much better record than 27-21

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so +6 with and without Cousins, which goes to show how good Davis has been since the injury of Cousins. When they played together, he deferred too much to Cousins IMO. He would stand in the corner and just watch Boogie work or shoot it on a kickout.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I mean, I guess? You seem to be no-selling the fact that they apparently played a more difficult schedule, while they had Cousins, and have only been just-as-good, with an easier one. You also seem to be disregarding the fact that they significantly upgraded their roster since he got injured: trading for a quality sixth man, signing a center who probably would have kept Cousins from getting injured in the first place, had they signed him three weeks earlier, and recently finally getting their best perimeter defensive wing (and originally projected opening night starting SF) back healthy.

It's a little simplistic to suggest that it's as simple as Davis stopped deferring, and borders on disingenuous to even intimate that the Pelicans would be where they are now, had they started the season without Cousins.

So... I have a hot-takey sort of question, now that the Pelicans have won their forty-second game of the season: If DeMarcus Cousins is unable to finish the season, due to injury, but the team he was on had a winning record when he got injured, and that team finishes with a winning record, has he played on a winning team yet?
Yes. I would ask, why wouldn't he?