[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mavericks will probably win now that they don’t have Carlisle tbh
Carlisle single-handedly handed LA that series when he took Luka out in Game 5 when they were running away. Seems to me he’s been a middle of the road coach coasting on his decade old championship for some time now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
But, what about the Portland fans? Or the "Portland" fans?
I think both of those groups want to keep Dame happy and whoever he says is their guy.

The Twitter army went as hard at Billups as they did at Kidd and started bashing Dame in the process. Many of them said F Dame get him out if he wants those two.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think both of those groups want to keep Dame happy and whoever he says is their guy.

The Twitter army went as hard at Billups as they did at Kidd and started bashing Dame in the process. Many of them said F Dame get him out if he wants those two.
Ah. So your use of scare quotes to describe Portland fans is about a personal grievance you have with #BlazersTwitter. Well, that provides some clarity and context, and answers some questions I had about the nature of your post. 'Preciate it.

I don’t think the Blazers job is a good fit for
Becky. They are going to have to trade Dame in the next year or two, they just have to. How much longer will Pops coach? I’m sure she is antsy but SA seems like a good spot for her.

If gladly take dame and his coach of choice. Sadly we have fox’s choice of coach

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ah. So your use of scare quotes to describe Portland fans is about a personal grievance you have with #BlazersTwitter. Well, that provides some clarity and context, and answers some questions I had about the nature of your post. 'Preciate it.
Not strictly Twitter and not Blazers but all sports fans in Portland that demand the team align with their personal political beliefs before factoring in on court/field performance.

They scour twitter for who likes/follows what, write the papers, publish articles in our alt-weeklies. Twitter was a convenient place to show my disdain but its all over.

I used the quotes because I don't think these people are the real fans, just the vocal population here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not strictly Twitter and not Blazers but all sports fans in Portland that demand the team align with their personal political beliefs before factoring in on court/field performance.

They scour twitter for who likes/follows what, write the papers, publish articles in our alt-weeklies. Twitter was a convenient place to show my disdain but its all over.

I used the quotes because I don't think these people are the real fans, just the vocal population here.
No True Scotsman Trailblazers fan?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Carlisle single-handedly handed LA that series when he took Luka out in Game 5 when they were running away. Seems to me he’s been a middle of the road coach coasting on his decade old championship for some time now.
Look at the Kings games. His answer to getting his backside kicked in when Walton went small was to play big and the Kings dropped a few rungs on the draft ladder at his expense. It blew my mind when he actually put Boban and KP in there at the same time against LA. If you are going to do that then go into the post at least. The problem there is it would have to be Boban since we saw KP stifled by Fox when he tried to post him up so, yikes to that one.

If gladly take dame and his coach of choice. Sadly we have fox’s choice of coach
Truthfully, hopefully that's the SOLE reason they brought him back. Fox is smart enough to realize it's on him if it fails so no BS I want out crap from him most likely. It's also hard for him. Lets think about this one. Since Fox came in as the "franchise guy" he's had to fight tooth and nail just like every rookie on the Kings to even get minutes. For no good reason might I add since the players playing over them only played out of some code of experienced guys deserve those minutes because they've paid their dues. Luckily he survived where almost all others have failed with this franchise. Walton last year was the first coach to give him the keys and let him loose. Fox wouldn't want to give that up so we can't blame him.

I mean, Dame's original coach of choice was Jason Kidd so maybe we shouldn't act like he's that much better at picking coaches than Fox.
Notice my choice of words ;). I said Dame AND his coaching choice (believing that his talent alone would help the kings despite whoever coaches). Also I didn’t say that over fox and his coaching choice, (just mentioning fox’s coaching choice) to leave out any unnecessary dame or fox comparison. Dame + fox + Kidd > fox and walton. But honestly your statement still holds true.

LOL
Doc went into damage control mode so fast I have whiplash
Morey was probably breaking stuff with a baseball bat in his office with Doc's epic display of butthurt. First, he probably missed his chance to move Simmons at his peak, watched his stock plummet (mainly because he's a playmaker first, which BTW Simmons still accounted for a ton of his teams offense folks, he's not going to ever be Kobe/Jordan because it's not how he views the game and turning him into that might be more bad than good), and then his coach put him on blast for everything he can't do. Not a good way to flip an asset.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
No True Scotsman Trailblazers fan?
If you are willing to ship your franchise's star player who has lead you well beyond expectations because you want to be the first to hire a female coach and have concerns that he might prefer someone else, I have questions. Am I wrong for thinking that/calling those folks out? Presumably the whole reason there is even a vacancy is the fear that Dame's window is closing and he may bolt if he doesn't feel the organization is going all out to win.

I have little doubt that Hammond is qualified and will receive the Spurs job when Pop steps down with the full organizational support and likely the patience required to succeed rather than stepping into a win-now situation. I hope that's what happens and she excels, winning every game that isn't played against the Kings.

"I believe we know what the right work is, and the right type of work, and the right way to do it.”

Sounds like he's finally going to change shooting hands.
I agree with what Shaq was saying. It's not about shooting, it's about being selfish and aggressive. If Simmons were a small PG then he couldn't be a top option. He's not a small PG though. The issue is when he has the ball he's too unselfish or not confident. You can still post him up and draw contact if he's not shrinking away. Simmons and Embiid is an odd combo, they always were. It's unique in some ways but this is a team that had their shot at the triple headed monster super team when Butler was there and now it might be time to start thinking about building around one of Simmons or Embiid.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Is it really that his shot is broken, or that he's scared to shoot? Dude said he passed up a wide-open dunk, because he thought Danillo Gallinari was going to get him from behind. Working on his jump shot ain't gonna fix that.
Agreed. This is a curious tactic to take when it's clear that his confidence is what's broken. He took 4 shots in a game 7. That is not acceptable for a franchise player. And it's not like they were playing against a grinding team like Miami or New York either. At least get yourself to the line. Then we can talk about fixing that shooting motion. I don't think this one series is going to define his career but it certainly exposed some flaws in his makeup that he'll need to bounce back from.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If you are willing to ship your franchise's star player who has lead you well beyond expectations because you want to be the first to hire a female coach and have concerns that he might prefer someone else, I have questions. Am I wrong for thinking that/calling those folks out?
I don't think that there's a "right" way to be a fan. Your mileage appears to vary. Have questions? I get that. Call them out? Be my guest. Implying that they're not real fans? I mean, who gets to decide what "real" fandom is?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think that there's a "right" way to be a fan. Your mileage appears to vary. Have questions? I get that. Call them out? Be my guest. Implying that they're not real fans? I mean, who gets to decide what "real" fandom is?
It's fair but there's some other stuff going on here with our other sports clubs and I think I'm already walking the line on what we discuss here. Needless to say, I'm NOT one of those keep politics out of sports persons but when you demand blind adherence to any ideology, even ones I agree with, I start to get very uneasy. And when that spills out of the stands and into who we allow to play for or coach our teams, even moreso.

What if they aren’t really fans but more of people who live in Portland and want/push their agendas or beliefs more so than push what’s best for the team. I’m not saying those two are mutually exclusive but maybe he’s referring to those that would choose the agenda/belief over what’s best for the team if they had to choose. I don’t get to decide what real fandom is but would assume a “real fan” would choose what’s best for the team. Now whatever they think that is depends on them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What if they aren’t really fans but more of people who live in Portland and want/push their agendas or beliefs more so than push what’s best for the team. I’m not saying those two are mutually exclusive but maybe he’s referring to those that would choose the agenda/belief over what’s best for the team if they had to choose. I don’t get to decide what real fandom is but would assume a “real fan” would choose what’s best for the team. Now whatever they think that is depends on them.
To be fair, in the case of hiring Becky Hammond, it’s a win/win for just about anyone involved aside from hardcore chauvinists

Status
Not open for further replies.