[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mavs are partially trying to create the new car smell before they head into the market most likley since they don't have much in the way of trade assets to make a deal otherwise. They might have some space to do something but that will cost them parts of their team. Condensing that into a 3rd piece is clearly the plan and the name John Collins has been bandied about but the Hawks seem poised to not let him go. They are definitely a team to watch in the Holmes sweepstakes. I think if they can create the max 30 million plus in space they would be better on creating depth then throwing it at a lower rung 3rd option and overpaying in the process while not considering fit. I think Demar could be an option for them as well. I don't see the fit though. Looking at the FA's there doesn't seem to be many great guarantees to put next to a Luka Doncic.

The Mavs are partially trying to create the new car smell before they head into the market most likley since they don't have much in the way of trade assets to make a deal otherwise. They might have some space to do something but that will cost them parts of their team. Condensing that into a 3rd piece is clearly the plan and the name John Collins has been bandied about but the Hawks seem poised to not let him go. They are definitely a team to watch in the Holmes sweepstakes. I think if they can create the max 30 million plus in space they would be better on creating depth then throwing it at a lower rung 3rd option and overpaying in the process while not considering fit. I think Demar could be an option for them as well. I don't see the fit though. Looking at the FA's there doesn't seem to be many great guarantees to put next to a Luka Doncic.
Mavs have to deal Porzingis. That's the next shoe to drop. Cut their losses.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Dallas gave the Kings Barnes for JJ and Randolph. It may not cost a team anything significant in actual assets to see if they can get something out of Porzingis for a couple of years. Just the salary cap hit.
KP costs over 30 mil and has 3 years on his deal. This is going to cost the Mavs more than just a salary swap.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
do you consider them reliable sources?
Cato’s been covering the Mavs for years and Amick is widely considered one of the best reporters in basketball.
I’m all for skepticism but there appears to be fire behind this smoke. Also Haralabos has always been a bit of an a-hole.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
While the "fit" rationale may have proven to be foolish when it comes to passing Luka I wonder how it is going to impact his ability to recruit fellow FAs. He isn't on Team USA which is where a lot of these superteams start and since he is clearly Batman in any tandem you have to wonder if someone wants to sign up to be Robin instead of forming a more equitable tandem. Which means that in all likelihood he follows the AD/KD path to a championship.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
My facebook feed has the Comcast RSN reporting Blazers like Spoelstra so I expect with all the movement in the past few days he is going to get a big $$$ extension from the Heat.

Wow lots of drama in the nba right now. Portland, Denver and now Dallas at major crossroads. the Mavs have time still but the nuggets and Blazers need to act now. I proposed it in another thread but I think the Blazers should trade Lillard to the Nuggets for Jamal Murray, MPJ and 2 first rounders. The Nuggets would be contenders for the next three years and the Blazers could do a quick reset around MPJ and Murray. Hell, they could they trade CJ to the Mavs for Porzingis and a first.

Denver has Lillard and Joker
Dallas has Luka and Cj
Portland has MPJ, Murray, Porzingis and a bunch of first rounders.
I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lillard jersey so yeah…this is totally gonna happen.

You could make an argument this trade helps both teams and OkC had all the leverage since the Celts had to move Kemba and the Thunder didn’t need to move Horford. I feel bad for Kemba though, his career is trending in the wrong direction

the Celtics traded a bad contract and this years first for a slightly less bad contract, an okay young big, and a second round pick.

they must’ve really wanted to get rid of Kemba.
Decent trade for Boston. Horford can still play and is a proven fit for them. Walker is declining and is redundant next to Tatum and Brown. Surprised they had to give up their pick though

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

the Celtics traded a bad contract and this years first for a slightly less bad contract, an okay young big, and a second round pick.

they must’ve really wanted to get rid of Kemba.
this trade doesn't really make much sense for the Celtics. OKC simply wanted that 16th pick. Walker may be having a one year trial like a CP3, build value and get flipped for more picks

You could make an argument this trade helps both teams and OkC had all the leverage since the Celts had to move Kemba and the Thunder didn’t need to move Horford. I feel bad for Kemba though, his career is trending in the wrong direction
As it does with a lot of smallish one way combo G's. He got his money, good for him.

OKC getting yet another additional draft asset: the 16th pick so a pretty good haul. I've been waiting for trades like that for this franchise. They happen regulary, just not with this team. We juat wont take a slight step back now to take a bigger step forward in the future. Short sighted actions wont turn in to (long term) success.

OKC getting yet another additional draft asset: the 16th pick so a pretty good haul. I've been waiting for trades like that for this franchise. They happen regulary, just not with this team. We juat wont take a slight step back now to take a bigger step forward in the future. Short sighted actions wont turn in to (long term) success.
And they got someone with talent so they can create a possible offensive duo with what they've got in the interim. It might hurt them a bit in getting a shot in the Holmgren sweepstakes but they aren't putting together some 10 year plan here. They want assets and they want them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.