[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (APR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Great shot. Also, I've watched this play like ten times and still have absolutely no idea what the Grizzles were trying to do on defense. I mean, they had Ja on Zaps for some reason and Grayson Allen trying to defend the paint despite him being like 6'4". Seems like the Mavs could have scored the easy two for the tie (not that the Luka three wasn't awesome or anything).

Seriously if you are the Suns/Jazz I would be praying Dallas gets beat in the play-in (assuming Portland does not drop) Mavs if healthy got enough defense (DFS/Richardson/Maxi Taxi/KP)/shooting and Luka Magic to beat both those teams easy. Dallas can beat every team in the West except the two LA teams.

The Jazz and Suns don't have anyone to match up with Luka (e.g like Ben Simmons who locks him down and Leonard/Lebron (for stretches) who have the size/smarts/strength to stay with him. Crowder/O'Neale/Bridges are just there to be eaten alive by Luka.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Also, the Celtics added the key piece missing from their team to take them back to the promised land. The third head to the Tatum/Brown monster, one JABARI PARKER!

Maybe it’s cause the clippers have so many other options but DMC does not look good. Allstar to 10 day contract so fast. I thought it was because of the perceived attitude cuz he looked decent with the rockets but man his production seems to have fallen off a cliff.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It seems like NBA bigs always have the highest bust potential when picked high and now that the league has moved away from a Shaq = automatic championship contender they are getting harder to justify with a top 5 pick. I guess we'll check back in in another 10 years if 3 point shooters improve another 5-10%. Apologies to Slim.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Also, the Celtics added the key piece missing from their team to take them back to the promised land. The third head to the Tatum/Brown monster, one JABARI PARKER!
2 year contract must have a lot of fine print.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It seems like NBA bigs always have the highest bust potential when picked high and now that the league has moved away from a Shaq = automatic championship contender they are getting harder to justify with a top 5 pick. I guess we'll check back in in another 10 years if 3 point shooters improve another 5-10%. Apologies to Slim.
if in the near future there are bigs that make an impact like a Embiid, Jokic and Gobert on defense, then absolutely there will still be a place for them in the top 5. It's all a matter of when, not if. The league changes according to the group of players it has along with changes in officiating.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
if in the near future there are bigs that make an impact like a Embiid, Jokic and Gobert on defense, then absolutely there will still be a place for them in the top 5. It's all a matter of when, not if. The league changes according to the group of players it has along with changes in officiating.
Embiid was the only one picked in the lotto and part of "the process" that has netted a whopping two playoff series wins.

Not a knock on him, but I think proof that drafting bigs in the top 5 is no longer what it used to be. They also blew a high pick on Okafor and traded for Noel who was a 3rd overall pick. KAT has 5 playoff games under his belt and Anthony Davis had to finagle his way to LA to win something after years of purgatory in NO. Cousins too, had he come along 10 years earlier probably would have been a fixture in the playoffs.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
OKC is now 1-12 since they made the heroic decision to rest their leading scorer until his vague and untreatable foot condition heals on its own and I think it's time to appreciate how far they've come! Truly an inspiration to us all. Oh and while we're at it, we should also send up a prayer for Al Horford whose only crime was helping his team win games. May his basketball soul rest in peace.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Embiid was the only one picked in the lotto and part of "the process" that has netted a whopping two playoff series wins.

Not a knock on him, but I think proof that drafting bigs in the top 5 is no longer what it used to be. They also blew a high pick on Okafor and traded for Noel who was a 3rd overall pick. KAT has 5 playoff games under his belt and Anthony Davis had to finagle his way to LA to win something after years of purgatory in NO. Cousins too, had he come along 10 years earlier probably would have been a fixture in the playoffs.
I don't think looking at these players individually and say go get me a title is fair to them. Multiple All-stars usually gives a team the best chance to win. Every couple of seasons you have a team like the Heat last season that had some luck on their side and many other things go their way but as a GM, I would never scoff at drafting a top big man prospect just because they aren't winning Playoff series.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think looking at these players individually and say go get me a title is fair to them. Multiple All-stars usually gives a team the best chance to win. Every couple of seasons you have a team like the Heat last season that had some luck on their side and many other things go their way but as a GM, I would never scoff at drafting a top big man prospect just because they aren't winning Playoff series.
Well it's not fair, but the game has changed enough that it seems to me it's like trying to build an NFL team around your running game. The dominant big was the key to success for decades, now it is a nice to have. Teams with dominant play makers and shooters with competent/complementary bigs seem to be the way to go and unless something drastically changes I only see it moving further in that direction as players approach higher 3pt %s.

OKC is now 1-12 since they made the heroic decision to rest their leading scorer until his vague and untreatable foot condition heals on its own and I think it's time to appreciate how far they've come! Truly an inspiration to us all. Oh and while we're at it, we should also send up a prayer for Al Horford whose only crime was helping his team win games. May his basketball soul rest in peace.
Ive come around to the idea that all non-playoff teams should have equal lottery odds.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ive come around to the idea that all non-playoff teams should have equal lottery odds.
I've come around to the idea that draft position and lotto odds should be based on a 3-5 year aggregate of the team's record with any team found to be intentionally tanking punished.

Failing that put 14 balls in the bucket and pull them out for all spots.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
THe Bulls traded picks and stuff to build a new Lavine/Vuc core and somehow only have two more wins than us and we’ve lost nine in a row
I honestly thought we got better at the deadline and here we are.
I thought Donovan was a better coach.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well it's not fair, but the game has changed enough that it seems to me it's like trying to build an NFL team around your running game. The dominant big was the key to success for decades, now it is a nice to have. Teams with dominant play makers and shooters with competent/complementary bigs seem to be the way to go and unless something drastically changes I only see it moving further in that direction as players approach higher 3pt %s.
current style of play is only a trend. trends change over time and as new generation of players come into the league such as versatile big men and succeed, teams will copycat and a new "way" of winning will be established.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
current style of play is only a trend. trends change over time and as new generation of players come into the league such as versatile big men and succeed, teams will copycat and a new "way" of winning will be established.
The million dollar question is how quickly the shooting %s rise for each group. Or if they adjust the 3pt shooting line to make the shot tougher. I know plenty of people would rather see the latter.

hrdboild

Staff member
In Dallas' loss to New York today, Luka Doncic's teammates made 33 shots on 75 attempts and 19 of them were assisted by Luka. That means the Mavericks shot only 25% (14 for 56) on shots that weren't directly created by their PG which is a credit to the Knicks defense as much as it is to the passing prowess of Kingsfans.com's favorite basketball prodigy.

hrdboild

Staff member
THe Bulls traded picks and stuff to build a new Lavine/Vuc core and somehow only have two more wins than us and we’ve lost nine in a row
While we're handing out awards, how about the Minnesota Timberwolves who somehow have a 15-42 record despite having two first overall picks on their roster and a second overall pick (who they traded another former first overall pick for). Considering that the track record of first overall picks in the NBA is actually pretty solid, it takes a special level of talent to be that bad with that much draft capitol at your disposal. And even worse, they have to give this year's pick to Golden State unless it's in the top 3 so all this losing might not even help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.