[NBA] 2018 Finals

Who takes the O'Brien trophy home this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All I can say is that JR Smith better never buy a race horse.
IMO Chris Webber's gaffe just took a backseat to what JR just did. Webber's team was losing at the time he called the timeout so no guarantee they were gonna win anyway. And several players also didn't know they were out of timeouts.

But based upon the immediate reaction of his teammates, JR was the only one that didn't realize the game was tied. No guarantee the Cavs win it there, but they had the stage set for a game winning shot.

Losing this game likely took away any chance Cleveland had to make it an interesting series instead of the 4-5 games most expect. Stealing GM1 on the road and having nothing to lose in GM2 could have made the Cavs dangerous and put GSW in a tough spot should they have found a way to steal the next game too.

Saw this point posted on another message board. The play should never have been reviewed, according to the rulebook.

Still, I don't like that the NBA has given the review booth the ability to overturn a judgement call with another judgement call.

It's not reviewable, as Royce Young and Ty Lue say in the tweets posted two pages ago. He's 2' outside the arc...and he was actually never inside it, either.

12. Restricted Area Block/Charge
Referees may review block/charge calls when they are not reasonably certain as to whether the defender was inside or outside of the restricted area during the last two minutes of the fourth period and overtime.

Two refs had unimpaired views of the restricted area. One of them has the job to look for that. It's like checking a 27' three pointer to make sure he was behind the line. Not close. So weird that Mike Breen says he's in the restricted area.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Apparently overhead by writers many, many times in the Cavs locker room- Ken Mauer ****** us

How is the NBA going to fix this mess regarding Tristan Thompson

First, it was not a thrown elbow and it didnt make contact with Livingston's head. Tony Brothers said from his angle that is what it looked like, but when shown from the opposite angle, he doesn't throw an elbow. The wrong call led to the other extra curricular activity. TT has to keep his composure but Draymond Green has to be held accountable as an instigator/taunting. Refs didnt control him in the last minutes. Refs failed on many different levels.

This series just got chippy....or chippier.

Saw this point posted on another message board. The play should never have been reviewed, according to the rulebook.

Still, I don't like that the NBA has given the review booth the ability to overturn a judgement call with another judgement call.
Exactly. I watched the whole interview on NBAtv with the dude in New Jersey explaining that the trigger to review is uncertainty about the defenders presence in the restricted circle.

That was never in doubt. The review should have never been triggered.

That being said, the Cavs still had a chance to win so that part is on them.

I just saw the game 1 last night. All of the commotion at the end of the game was apparently related to Golden State and taking the last shot with a big lead. Breaking the unwritten rules as Kerr calls it. That is what is wrong with the Warriors. They do not respect the game and break the unwritten rules all the time. Jawing with James by Curry and Thompson at the end of the game. Green clapping in the waning moments. Their coach is a punk. Their team is composed of punks. Their fans are punks. Golden State is the one sports team I hate. The Cavs came very close to winning at Oracle. They now have the increased incentive to play even harder. They believe they have the winning formula. They outrebounded GS by a lot. That is how to make up for the ridiculous shooting by the Warriors, you get more chances. The Cavs except for James shot very poorly and still had a chance to win. Cleveland is actually in pretty good shape. I think they are mentally much tougher than the powderpuff Warriors. They will carry the events at the end of the game with them on Sunday. This series is going to get very physical and that gives a big advantage to Cleveland. That is the way to out compete finesse teams, is to be more physical and wear them out.

So now Green says he wants to meet Thompson "in the streets." Swell.
Whatever emotion and energy players have should be left on the court.
No one seems to care about these emotional sidebars. I find them to be very intersting after banging inside for 40 years.
Confidence and sometimes intimidation is how you win championships. These two teams are quite different which makes for some great mental warfare.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kendrick Perkins is apparently still on their roster.
I wonder if Lue is saving him as a secret weapon, with the idea that they didn't expect to win the first two in Oracle anyway? If the Cavs lose this one and then get their two home games, game 5 is gonna be the vital one. Let Perkins off the leash and see what happens. I'm not advocating anything violent, just let Curry know there are guys in the league who can play TOUGH DEFENSE on his skinny little arse.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Lebron doesn't flat out explode on his own teammates at some point, he will deserve a new special ESPY - "Player who had the most reason to kill the other players on his team and yet found a way to refrain." There's no reason on earth he should have to be telling them where to move to, when to cut, etc. These ain't kids. They know - or should know - their jobs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, that's it for tonight. My blood pressure, ulcer and general attitude cannot take any more of GSW. Time to switch over to my DVR and watch "Fear the Walking Dead".

I wonder if Lue is saving him as a secret weapon, with the idea that they didn't expect to win the first two in Oracle anyway? If the Cavs lose this one and then get their two home games, game 5 is gonna be the vital one. Let Perkins off the leash and see what happens. I'm not advocating anything violent, just let Curry know there are guys in the league who can play TOUGH DEFENSE on his skinny little arse.
No one ever fouls their shooters hard. They can make ten 3's in a row and the opposing team will do nothing about it. In years past, someone would get whacked for that to try and put an end to it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
No one ever fouls their shooters hard. They can make ten 3's in a row and the opposing team will do nothing about it. In years past, someone would get whacked for that to try and put an end to it.
Even if they wanted to whack someone, it's a flagrant foul anyway even if you touch the player :rolleyes:

I agree with VF21. The rules change during the playoffs. Teams are allowed to be more physical. The Cavs have a clear advantage in physicality and have been reluctant to use it. It is possible to send some strong messages and make players think before taking a shot and still be within the rules. The fact that flagrant fouls get called is a good thing for the game. People can get hurt by some dumb moves like submarining a player in the air.

Curry, Thompson and Durant are great shooters and finesse players. Old school enforcers like Lambeer, Dawkins, Reed, Wallace, and even Perkins would give them a lot of trouble and give them something to think about before entering the lane. The Golden State Warriors are mentally and emotionally fragile. Green is a special kind of player from the Cousins school of emotional maturity. I would go to work on him mentally every game.
Basketball is a mental sport, more than almost any other except baseball. The Cavs can't really straight up compete with the GS man for man. They need to use the advantages they have and so far they have ignored their greatest advantage of physicality.

Last edited:
Even if they wanted to whack someone, it's a flagrant foul anyway even if you touch the player :rolleyes:
Yep but sometimes you need to just set the tone regardless of whether you may lose a few points for it because you're probably going to lose a ton of points throughout the series by playing soft against them. I just know that the teams back in the day wouldn't be putting up with Curry's showboating the way teams these days do.