Nash for MVP

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This was interesting -- I was actually thinking of starting a thread on this very topic a couple of days ago, and then boom!, pops up on Page 2. My reasoning is different than the article author's (and better ;) ), and I don't think it will ever really happen with his numbers, but I compare what Nash has done in Phoenix with what JKidd did a few years back with New Jersey. come in and instantly make everyone on the team better than they were. Give them organization, an unselfish leader, confidence in big games. Nash is nowhere near the overall player a KG is, but really has anybody definable made a signficantly bigger difference for their team this year?

The Article:

By Eric Neel
Page 2

Let's hear it for Steve Nash for MVP.

Let's start the campaign right here and now.

Steve Nash for MVP.

The Suns won 29 games all last year. They're going to win that many by mid-January this season.

Steve Nash for MVP.

It's only December, but groundswelling and grassrootsing take time. On a thing like this, we have to get the ball rolling early.

He isn't your typical candidate. He's averaging just about 16 points a night, and MVPs are usually good for well above 20. He's playing the pure, pass-first point, and you can ask John Stockton and J-Kidd how much hardware that's been good for over the years. (Magic didn't win an MVP until he bumped his scoring to 23-plus in '87).

He's a long shot, but he's the right call.

The Suns score 109 points a night these days (14 above the league average, seven better than their closest competitors). They run good teams into the ground. They come in waves, they go on 21-0 runs (against Golden State last week) that turn NBA games into spirit-crushing, basketball-bully scenes straight out of "The Great Santini."

[font=verdana, arial, geneva]His numbers aren't the gaudiest -- but he still deserves some hardware.[/font]

Nash makes it happen.

He's as fast from circle to circle as anyone in the league, and he's pushing the ball up the floor like he's got the hounds of hell at his back. He averages 11 assists a night, and 15-plus per 48 minutes. He hits guys filling lanes and guys spotting up; and when the defense sags, he calls on his own junebugging jumper to the tune of a .533 field-goal percentage (and .414 from 3).

Look at those last two numbers. Think on them a minute. Tape 'em to your set for Wednesday night's game against the Jazz; and while you watch, try to reconcile them with the speed and aggressiveness of his approach. (You might need that TiVo slo-mo feature.) They do not compute. But there they are.

The game is flowing off his fingers. He's crackling. Think Mickey the Magician at the heart of the "Fantasia" storm. Think of popcorn going bang under the Jiffy-Pop foil. Ask Amare, who's up six in-perfect-stride points a night over last season, what I'm talking about. Ask Shawn Marion, if you can get him to come down off his alley-oop cloud. Ask Joe Johnson about his career bests from the field and from beyond the arc. Ask the good people over at 82games.com, who'll tell you the Suns, with the addition of Nash at the helm, are thus far 69 points better than the next-best five-man unit in the league (San Antonio's starting five). Ask the fans in Phoenix, many of whom, rumor has it, are growing their hair out and wetting it down on game days in the hope that some of the Nash magic might wind its way into their lives.

Because, see, Nash's first pass, the selfless, quick-draw way he's kicking the ball to open space and to open teammates, is infectious. Look at highlights from the beat-down the Suns put on Orlando Monday night. Quentin Richardson's rising up for what looks like a Quentin Richardson jump shot on the right wing, but he's just duping ... in mid-air, the shot becomes a little dump-down to Stoudamire, which becomes a big ol' dunk, which becomes five smiles on the way back down the court.

I'm telling you, Steve Nash isn't a Sun, he's the culture of the Suns (as a team, Phoenix is averaging a fourth-best 23.09 assists per game). He's who they are. And what they are is 18-3.

[font=verdana, arial, geneva]Amare Stoudemire's got to love getting dunks off Nash's dishes.[/font]

I'm telling you, Steve Nash for MVP.

He's worthy. He's worthy on his own merits; and he's worthy because his energy, style, and skill have done a remake on the Suns that puts the surgeons and stylists at "The Swan" to shame.

And just think of the way the vote strikes a symbolic blow.

Here's a guy who turns the MVP tradition inside out. Here's maybe the least predictable winner in history. You don't have to be a dominant big man to win. You don't have to lead the league in scoring to win. You don't have to dunk to win. You don't have to be KG, Shaq, Kobe, or T-Mac. You can be a wiry, hang-dog, thirty-something, 6-foot-3 point and be the center of the basketball world.

A vote for Nash is a vote for the points of old, too. It's a vote for Cousy. It's a vote for Kevin Porter and Tiny Archibald. It's a vote for Isiah and Stockton, and for Kidd, as well.

Call Steve Nash the MVP and you recognize a whole team. You acknowledge all the players who flow with his flow, from Amare to Bo Outlaw, and every Casey Jacobsen in between. More than that, call Steve Nash the MVP and you recognize the whole idea of team. The Suns have five guys averaging more than 14 points a game right now. There are stars on this team, to be sure, but there's no traditional superstar. They are balanced, and a threat from every corner and angle.

If Steve Nash is the MVP, basketball is fun again.

Up-tempo ball is back.

Pat Riley is dead and Jeff Van Gundy is on life support.

If Steve Nash is the MVP, we're not about wars of attrition, muscle-bound match-ups, and watch-the-paint-dry isolations. We're about pace, about play, about players, and about the game we know and love from the schoolyards and those grainy Showtime games on NBA TV.

[font=verdana, arial, geneva]Steve Nash has simply transformed the Suns in his first season in Phoenix.[/font]

It's a statement vote. It's a style vote. It's a philosophical vote.

So who's with me?

Steve Nash for MVP! Steve Nash for MVP! Steve Nash for MVP!

Make it a movement. Make it a shibboleth, one of those code phrases by which believers of the same faith recognize one another and gather together.

And let the word go forth.

Paint a sign on a wall somewhere. Write it in the dust on somebody's back windshield. Get a tattoo. Put it on your answering machine.

And kids, next time the teacher asks a question, raise your hand, flip a no-look eraser pass to your friend in the next aisle, and say ...

"Steve Nash for MVP."

Eric Neel is a columnist for Page 2. His Basketball Jones column will appear each Wednesday during the NBA season.

Last edited:
Eh... The suns, like the sonics, are a team that live and die by the three. And teams that live and die by the three... well, eventually die. Case in point... couple nights ago, when Seattle went 1-17 from three, and got killed by Boston at home. Eventually, both these teams will come back down to earth, and finish in the 5-8 range in the east. And Nash won't even be considered as MVP, IMHO.

MVP candidates:
Garnett
Webb
Kobe(if LA makes a surge)
TMac (if Hou makes a surge)
Duncan
Nowitski

I like the idea, although I too do not prefer his writing style or reasoning. But Nash has had a huge impact...he's the perfect guy to rejuvenate Marion's career, and if he can just get two of the four athletes around him to have solid games, the Suns will win much more often than not. Now if only the Suns could get Amare to use all that athleticism to board a little, they might become an actual threat.

JayBird said:
Eh... The suns, like the sonics, are a team that live and die by the three. And teams that live and die by the three... well, eventually die. Case in point... couple nights ago, when Seattle went 1-17 from three, and got killed by Boston at home. Eventually, both these teams will come back down to earth, and finish in the 5-8 range in the east. And Nash won't even be considered as MVP, IMHO.

MVP candidates:
Garnett
Webb
Kobe(if LA makes a surge)
TMac (if Hou makes a surge)
Duncan
Nowitski
Why is TMac there? And Kobe? They arent helping their team win alone so I dont think they will start not.

You should have Lebron on there. He is probably first or second behind Garnett.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Best player on the best team at the moment - so it is at least arguable.

But then again so was Webber in 2002 and he did not get it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, don't want to see no punk that combs his hair with a slab of Canadian bacon, and won't paly defense with no dern MVP... just don't want to see it or even talk about it. And NO don't expect me to be rational on this subject!

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Why is TMac there? And Kobe? They arent helping their team win alone so I dont think they will start not.

You should have Lebron on there. He is probably first or second behind Garnett.
The same reason you will see them in the All Star Game. The name. They will be considered, even if they haven't done squat. And notice, I mentioned only if their respective teams make a surge would they be considered.

And forgetting Lebron was actually just an oversight. He is, of course, also a very likely possibility.

piksi said:
Best player on the best team at the moment - so it is at least arguable.

But then again so was Webber in 2002 and he did not get it.
Kidd in 2002? NJ were Atlantic Div. champs. When was the last time that's ever happened? He didn't get it either.

A

AriesMar27

if the suns get the #1 seed, nash will get all of the credit.... though i think that amare should be the one that gets it.

I think Nash deserves a recognition in the MVP race.

To me, an MVP is the one who makes a team and the people around him better. Not the one who has the best numbers. In NBA, people mostly look at the stat sheet for this. So, if you are a PF or a center, you will rebound definitely more than your teammates. Since you are playing close to the hoop, most probably you'll also score. If you play 30+ minutes in those positions, there goes your double double every night. If you're a big man and you cannot have 8+ rebounds a night (assuming you're given time on the court) then shame on you.

Yep, some of the PF's also get a lot of assists, and I appreciate that. They do this not because of their ball handling, but they are smart and can recognize an open guy for a better shot. But if that guy makes an extra pass, then your assist goes to toilet, because there is no statistics called successful or nice passes in NBA.

PGs, SGs and SFs are always overlooked in MVP race (Oh yeah, KG is an SF, anybody really believes in that?
), and I think PGs are the most important piece of the puzzle. Look at the PGs in NBA. They are mostly around 6'1" to 6'3". How many people are there in the US in this range? And think about PFs and centers, how many 6'10"+ guys are there in the world? To be a big man, just be tall enough and throw the ball to the hoop w/o travelling. That's almost enough. Shawn Bradley can be a perfect example for that. In one year the guy earns more than you can earn in your whole life time. If you are tall, these types of guys are your opponent. If you are slightly intelligent and not afraid of contact (you are aware how many big men are considered as soft as well, right?) then you have a great chance in succeeding and getting recognized.

Now look at the PGs. There are millions like them probably. So, you need to handle the ball very well, shoot the ball very well, have a great cour vision, ability to control your team, be very very smart and have a great basketball IQ for quick decisions, and you need to do this better than lots of lots of people. And these guys also get into rebounds, run the floor with everybody, everytime. They fall, get crashed by bigger guys.

Think about Kings. Having J-Will and having Bibby... how it changed the style of your play even though Bibby is not really passing the ball around that well since you have your big men passing as well. But you can definitely see the improvement. Nash makes Amare look like a superstar. Hell, he makes Suns look like dream team! He does not do this by scoring lots of points or drawing double teams or getting lots of rebounds. He does it by setting the offense probably in just 3 seconds, finding the open court, keeping his dribble alive and finding the correct man at the correct time, or by just scoring himself if opportunity raises. Yep, he cannot score the most, or cannot rebound the most, but Duncan, KG, Webber, Shaq cannot do what he does either.

Having said all these, it is still early to decide who the MVP should be. Come April and May, we will have a better idea.

right now...im thinking Steve Nash...its amazing how one guy can totally turn a team around and you are right brick he is the Jason of 3-4 years ago...if i had a vote...and i had to vote today...i actually think i would vote Nash...i would never think of him to vote if it wasn't already brought up...but piksi's right he's the best player on the best team (of the moment)...there should be no reason why people wouldn't think he should be grouped with the other MVP options

i agree, he is the best player on the best team. The team that didnt win much last year and hasnt changed much from last year except for nash is winning a lot now and that should be credited to nash. Offcourse he is not a big name and when the time comes for voting it will still be duncan/garnett/shaq in the race. Some might even throw in bron/kobe/tmac but i am not sure if they have done better this year than nash. They are there just cos of the name.

Nash for MVP ;)

A

AriesMar27

true.... but if the suns take the #1 seed, he will get all of the credit.... he deserves it to, the credit not the mvp. but if the kings were to get the #1 seed webber would get all of the credit but duncan would win the award because he's better than webber. sarcasm....

Well, he really turned that franchise around. I picked up a NBA preseason issue of Sports Illustrated at my dorm and they had projected the Suns to be #11 in the West, and Sonics #12.
But other serious candidates should be Ray Allen and LeBron.

both allen and james are good choices but what all three of these mvp canidates did was greatly imporve their team from last year. when is the last time you heard the bucks being a force in the east? lebron has picked up his D alot and is improbing on his shooting. nash has made the suns O one again. he involves everyone and has made that team better. i wudnt be too mad idf any of them were up for it but espn may hype it too much for lebron's case.

Nash has been a revelation for Phoenix; a very smart acquisition by Colangelo. Although I don't think any PG aside from Kidd could have had an impact on Phoenix this year like Nash has had, I think it is important to consider that Nash has Joe Johnson, Q, Matrix and Amare to dish to. That is any pass-first point guard's dream.

So while Nash has been very valuable for Phoenix and definately deserves MVP consideration, I don't see him winning it because of the team Phoenix has, and because of players like Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron etc. who force opposing teams to make the most changes pre-game and in-game, and who do not have as a dynamic starting unit around them as Nash. So if you follow the logic where Barry Bonds continually wins the NL MVP, which I agree with, I see an argument where Nash should not be considered for MVP.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
grun said:
So while Nash has been very valuable for Phoenix and definately deserves MVP consideration, I don't see him winning it because of the team Phoenix has, and because of players like Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron etc. who force opposing teams to make the most changes pre-game and in-game, and who do not have as a dynamic starting unit around them as Nash. So if you follow the logic where Barry Bonds continually wins the NL MVP, which I agree with, I see an argument where Nash should not be considered for MVP.
the logic...wait...are you saying Kobe uses roids? :eek: ;)

could this be why kidd never got an mvp when playing with the nets when they went to the Eastern conference championship? he deffinitley had alot to pass to. right now i feel the mvp may be KG b/c he makes teams make the most adjustment to him. right behind are duncan and lebron tho.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but if it is for the best player on the best team, wouldn't:
a) they just call it the BPOTBT Award, and
b) that be the Final's MVP?
c) they just say best offensive threat

MVP is MOST VALUEBLE PLAYER. That means the best player playing the best. KG, while a deserving candidate last year, was the LEAST VALUEBLE of his entire career.

Next, since they are intent on anointing the guard this cycle, why don't they give it to Nash, I mean they gave the DPOY to a perimiter defender, also aknowledge the perimiter Ofender, Nash. It would be like the complete package.

If you asked any player who the real MVP was, they would almost always say Snack. He cloggs the lane up on D, and he is the most dominating force on O. But it just bothers me that they will concider a 1 dimensional player on O, but won't even give a thought to a 1 dimensional player the other way, on D.

I am done ranting.

BTW, I like Nash.

Im starting to think Amare's improvement and semi-dominance is equally important as Nash's arrival.

Amare is beating anyone he wants one on one even without Nash's passes. Sets good picks for Nash as well that suck the defense in.

Amare has improved even if Nash was not around. Its the combo of those two thats keeping this team dominant. And I think Amare is just as important if not more valuable then Nash.