27.11 - Amy Winehouse
28.06 - Missy Elliot
29.11 - Al Green
30.06 - Rihanna

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm a fan of 3 of NoBonus's top 10. I may have gone for uolj's list on Santana alone, but you know what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
uolj is one of those jsut caught by board culture in this draft. There are hip hop oriented bball boards where he would have probably been ranked #1.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
uolj is one of those jsut caught by board culture in this draft. There are hip hop oriented bball boards where he would have probably been ranked #1.
Man, you ain't never lied!

If I ruled this draft, the Finals would come down to kingsnation and uolj, and there's better than a seventy percent chance that neither of them gets out of the first round. Between the two of them, they combine for almost a full list: twenty-eight artists I like.

The other fourteen of ya'll only have about nineteen artists I like, if you put all your lists together... and six of them are on Dime Dropper's list. :(

:: facetiously mutters something borderline racist about white people's taste in music ::

If I ruled this draft, the Finals would come down to kingsnation and uolj, and there's better than a seventy percent chance that neither of them gets out of the first round. Between the two of them, they combine for almost a full list: twenty-eight artists I like.

The other fourteen of ya'll only have about nineteen artists I like, if you put all your lists together... and six of them are on Dime Dropper's list. :(

:: facetiously mutters something borderline racist about white people's taste in music ::

Both Kingsnation and Uolj's lists were very high on my rankings. Not surprised there's some on my list that you like, and even I missed out on quite a few hip hop artists I would have liked. I don't think any of us have a chance given the forums overall taste!

It's actually not so much the hip hop stuff that kills uolj's list for me, it's more the combination of the Black Eyed Peas and Genesis that does it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
+ Hootie +Maroon 5. Well ok, I can't resist that Moves Like Jagger songs hook, but everything else they do is shhhh.

It's actually not so much the hip hop stuff that kills uolj's list for me, it's more the combination of the Black Eyed Peas and Genesis that does it.
Actually, that was my thought as well. I'm sure my rappers are fine for most. But I figured there would be way too much fluffy pop for people to get over.

Actually, that was my thought as well. I'm sure my rappers are fine for most. But I figured there would be way too much fluffy pop for people to get over.
That is a really weird combination if you really think about it... all kinds of rap/hip-hop and fluffy pop.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't see anything the least little bit weird about it; surely people who listen to rock and pop can't be that uncommon. It certainly isn't weird to listen to hip-hop and pop music.

I tend to agree with you about the overall demographic skew in the music drafts around here, but I don't know that it necessarily comes down to an issue of people voting against uolj's list because they don't like rap/hip hop. Out of uolj's 30 picks, 23 are artists/groups that are in my own music collection, but I ultimately voted against him because NoBonus had three picks that I would have wanted on my own list, while uolj only had two.

I too like the fact uolj stuck to his guns. I even enjoy hip hop as I drafted 2 hip hop artists myself, but I'm clearly rock/classic rock oriented. Hats off to NoBonus on a great list. And I'm not even that big a Beatles fan

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I tend to agree with you about the overall demographic skew in the music drafts around here, but I don't know that it necessarily comes down to an issue of people voting against uolj's list because they don't like rap/hip hop. Out of uolj's 30 picks, 23 are artists/groups that are in my own music collection, but I ultimately voted against him because NoBonus had three picks that I would have wanted on my own list, while uolj only had two.
I'm certainly not trying to impugn the integrity of anyone here, or imply that there was any actual racial component. But, that being said, I do think it's fair to say that a plurality, if not an outright majority, of the people here are White Americans, aged 25-59, and that particular demographic is probably the least likely demographic to like the music on uolj's list.

To be honest I think it's probably more coincidence than anything else. I've been a part of other online communities that were made up mostly of white Americans aged 25-59 (like myself) where hip-hop love is much more prevalent than in this group of drafters. Also note that these people are self-selected as those who are interested enough in the site to be on all the time and more importantly are interested enough in music to draft 30 artists over the span of several months. That particular subset might skew towards non-hip-hop fans more than the general demographic.

black eyed peas, rihanna and missy elliot were nearly enough to ruin it, but the rest of uolj's list was solid enough to get my vote here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, we've got a bit of a holdup with the dukeswh/Dime Dropper tie, but I that will be resolved tommorow either through a top 5 vs. top 5 poll is dukes returns, or some other means if he does not. Either way, congrats No Bonus, you'll be moving on to the second round. And uolj will have another chance to try to convert everybody to hip hop in the consolation round.