Most memorable Kings moments

Believe it or not mine was from about 10 years ago. The Kings were playing up in Seattle and getting killed. I was listening on my walkman(remember those!!!) and they proceeded to go on a 31-0 run and beat Seattle. This just sticks out more than anything. I would rate second as the whole playoff run in the '02 playoffs.

Playoffs 1999, where the Kings took everyone by suprise and nearly beat the Jazz. It was the start of their ascent to an elite team! Vlade coming up big time to save the day during one game, CWebb sending that love letter to Stockton in another game, etc. I remember during part of that playoff run, I was attending my employer's conference in Squaw Creek. The night of our big banquet was also the same night the Kings were playing, and a great deal of us attendees kept sneaking out of the room and watching the game on the resort bar's TV. I also remember Kings banners lining the Sacramento freeways, lines going out of sports bars, the Kings fever was just huge and amazing to witness.

C

Coach

Honestly, how can it not be Horry's shot in Game 4? Worst moment ever -- but easily the most memorable.

Beating the mavs in 5 games 2002 playoffs , we were considered huge underdogs aganist them . We beat them at their own game ..... never forget that series. Plus most of friends are mavs friends , so we used to have watching parties .

O

ONEZERO

Most memorable as in good or bad moments? I'll answer in bad moments cause they really are the most memorable... Horrys game 4 shot and webb going down in 03'... One play lost us a championship and one play not only lost us a championship, but also changed the teams future outlook drastically...

My most memorable Kings moment was 3rd quarter of Game 2 in the 2003 western conference semi-finals. It's one of my three most memorable moments in the 20 years I've been following sports. (The other two were Montana to Taylor and Gibson's home run... sucks that two are bad memories).

02 WCFs -- all of it.

Most notorious -- Christie v. Fox. Second most, the 96 Pacers brawl.

Most unbelievable thing for or against Kings -- Horry's shot. Other than that, Rider's 35 foot baseline under-the-armpit with back to the basket while falling out of bounds scoop. Who else remembers that? He was still with Minnesota, circa 94-95. Probably THE most difficult/bizarre shot in NBA history.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have two, neither of them good ones unfortunately:

1. When Webber hit the floor in Dallas and didn't get back up.

2. When the announcement came out that Webber had been traded.

Coach said:
Honestly, how can it not be Horry's shot in Game 4? Worst moment ever -- but easily the most memorable.
Ditto. Big shot Bob's death blow sticks out more than anything I can recall in 19 years of fanhood... Plenty of other GREAT Kings moments, but unfortunately that's the most memorable and unforgettable. :)

2003-2004- The game where the Kings were down by like 16 with like 1:21 left in the fourth against Minny, they came back, big shot after big shot, and it came down to them being down by 3 with like 2 seconds left, and Miller drilled a three pointer at the top of the key to tie it at the buzzer... Then after all that they lost in OT...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Best: I had access to 4 front row center court tickets. One day it dawned on me the people sitting in seats 5-8 were the Lukenbills and I actually had better seats than the team owners! Face value of these tickets was $30 if I remember correctly. Will that even get you in the Arena now?

Worst: I was a sophomore in high school practicing 2 a days for JV football when word sort of trickled onto the field that Ricky Berry had killed himself. It was just kind of surreal hearing about it that way and I never forgot it.

The entire 2002 playoff run was amazing with its rollercoaster like highs and lows and will always reside in a special place as well.

pdxKingsFan said:
Best: I had access to 4 front row center court tickets. One day it dawned on me the people sitting in seats 5-8 were the Lukenbills and I actually had better seats than the team owners! Face value of these tickets was $30 if I remember correctly. Will that even get you in the Arena now?

Worst: I was a sophomore in high school practicing 2 a days for JV football when word sort of trickled onto the field that Ricky Berry had killed himself. It was just kind of surreal hearing about it that way and I never forgot it.

The entire 2002 playoff run was amazing with its rollercoaster like highs and lows and will always reside in a special place as well.
go cheer for the blazers or something.

j/k:p

KP said:
By the way, Bibbys shot came after Horrys shot, proving Horry's wasn't a death blow...the refs took care of that.
the refs also made it so the lakers were in position for horry to hit that shot. i remember we were up by 20 or something in the 2nd half and that's when the lakers started full court pressing and practiclly raping whoever had the ball and the refs weren't calling ****.

anyway, top memories for me goes:

horry's shot
webber being traded
2002 wcf game 7 loss
kobe bloodying bibby's nose with the foul going against us. WTF??????????
2002 wcsf a** kicking we handed the mavs
webber going down the next year
christie beating up fox
peja's airball in game 7

OptimusRhyme said:
2003-2004- The game where the Kings were down by like 16 with like 1:21 left in the fourth against Minny, they came back, big shot after big shot, and it came down to them being down by 3 with like 2 seconds left, and Miller drilled a three pointer at the top of the key to tie it at the buzzer... Then after all that they lost in OT...
It was 16 points? I thought it was less.

My most memorable are
Bibby's Game 5 shot
Horry's Game 4 Shot
Christies fight with Fox

L-Trains bout with Nintendoitis;)

Id say the playoffs of 1995. That was the first time I saw my ings in the Playoffs. If it wasn't or Mitch going down I still think we could have won that series.

Second would be the 1999 Playoff run. I was on cloud 9 and the town was crazy with Purple ,Black and Silver.

VF21 said:
1. When Webber hit the floor in Dallas and didn't get back up.
I actually missed that because I had to run to get the phone, but the image of Chris riding on the little car with Gerald Wallace will forever be in lodged in my brain.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
kingsfannPDX said:
go cheer for the blazers or something.
I tried that a few weeks ago (I'm new here! Moved from LA in late August). They make the Kings look good. I don't remember much of the game (vs. Rockets) but boy did they suck. At least the Kings have bright spots. But I will go back anytime I can score free tickets. And of course when the Kings come to town.

Another fun memory - in 2002 I worked for the company that did the American Airline Center's point of sale system. Got a good relationship with the arena guys talking hoops and when the Kings and Mavs met up in the playoffs that year it was on. Talked a lot of trash about shutting down their arena and half jokingly suggested we make a wager that after it went dark I'd be able to turn all their computer screens and buttons purple and black. Unfortunately job preservation ultimately prevailed. Nice guys though who didn't return the favor the next year when Webb went down, they actually emailed condolences even though I had moved on in my career.