Monarchs-Sun 9/1

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Yeah, was she something else, or what?

Still too many turnovers, but some of their passes were quick and sharp. Our girls really looked good tonight. Powell couldn't get open to score much (and she was missing some too), but as is her way of late, she found ways to contribute. She dished a couple that were just beautiful.

Yeah, was she something else, or what?

Still too many turnovers, but some of their passes were quick and sharp. Our girls really looked good tonight. Powell couldn't get open to score much (and she was missing some too), but as is her way of late, she found ways to contribute. She dished a couple that were just beautiful.
Yeah, seven assists for Nicole. Way to make sweet-tasting lemonade from lemons. :D

Brunson is the main reason that the Monarchs are still breathing for a playoff spot with 3 games to play. She was brilliant. Gives me hope for next season regardless of what happens.

Courtney Paris is another story. Could one rookie season be on a bigger roller coaster than her rookie season:confused: Courtney was not bad last night, but she is nowhere near what she was in the middle of the season, and her minutes reflect that. Is she the answer at Center in 2010? Is anybody the answer at center on this roster. I noticed that Harper dressed but did not play at all. I hope that was about injury, because if it wasn't, then there is no question in my mind, what the lottery pick should be used on.

By the way, what was up with Lisa willis and those shades she was wearing:eek:. Did anybody else notice that?

Brunson is the main reason that the Monarchs are still breathing for a playoff spot with 3 games to play. She was brilliant. Gives me hope for next season regardless of what happens.

Courtney Paris is another story. Could one rookie season be on a bigger roller coaster than her rookie season:confused: Courtney was not bad last night, but she is nowhere near what she was in the middle of the season, and her minutes reflect that. Is she the answer at Center in 2010? Is anybody the answer at center on this roster. I noticed that Harper dressed but did not play at all. I hope that was about injury, because if it wasn't, then there is no question in my mind, what the lottery pick should be used on.

By the way, what was up with Lisa willis and those shades she was wearing:eek:. Did anybody else notice that?
Harp had a ankle sprain. Willis wears protective Goggles;)

My take on Paris hasn't changed since she was drafted...she's at least 1-2 years away from whatever she's going to be in this league. Whatever you get from her this season is a bonus. I think we saw the same thing from Harp last year.

As for Harp, injury aside...she should be on the evaluation loop. Charles or Appel may be an upgrade or they may not, but Harp should be on the evaulation bubble along with a few other players as this team retools for 2010.

The goggles Willis was wearing didn't appear to clear up when she was on the floor. If she wore them at any point before she got here that's news to me because I don't remember her wearing protective gear at her previous stops.

I think the main thing Paris has to concentrate on is seriously improving her conditioning. She won't be able to play a lot of minutes until she does. Hopefully she'll work hard in the off-season. Other than that, it's too soon to tell and she may have just hit a bit of a wall lately.

My take on Paris hasn't changed since she was drafted...she's at least 1-2 years away from whatever she's going to be in this league. Whatever you get from her this season is a bonus. I think we saw the same thing from Harp last year.

As for Harp, injury aside...she should be on the evaluation loop. Charles or Appel may be an upgrade or they may not, but Harp should be on the evaulation bubble along with a few other players as this team retools for 2010.
Let me put on my Cardinal-colored glasses on for this one...

I think Appel will be a really, really good player in the pros. She can run an effective high-low game, great passer out of a double team, and can find cutters on offense. I would say she's ok on defense and her conditioning could improve, but she could help run the M's "offense". I'd compare her to Vlade Divac. She will get her points and rebounds, but her passing is her greatest asset imo.

...end of my campaign for Appel in 2010 :D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Let me put on my Cardinal-colored glasses on for this one...

I think Appel will be a really, really good player in the pros. She can run an effective high-low game, great passer out of a double team, and can find cutters on offense. I would say she's ok on defense and her conditioning could improve, but she could help run the M's "offense". I'd compare her to Vlade Divac. She will get her points and rebounds, but her passing is her greatest asset imo.

...end of my campaign for Appel in 2010 :D

That campaign should just be getting started. :D I want Appel even if I doubt we'd be lucky enough to get her. Her passing abilities make her an upgrade over Harp, IMO.

It's the defensive side of the ball that everybody who comes in here is going to be evaluated.

And yes, Jayne's conditioning should be on the table. It doesn't get the attention that concerns about Paris' conditioning got/gets, but it should be on the table nonetheless IMO.

That said, she and Charles could be a great upgrade in the paint. As long as I see this team get an outside gunner somehow too.

It's the defensive side of the ball that everybody who comes in here is going to be evaluated.

And yes, Jayne's conditioning should be on the table. It doesn't get the attention that concerns about Paris' conditioning got/gets, but it should be on the table nonetheless IMO.

That said, she and Charles could be a great upgrade in the paint. As long as I see this team get an outside gunner somehow too.
Defense is always our key to success, for better or worse. Jayne isn't the most fleet of foot, but she can hold her own. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Charles (or anything UConn) but in the games I've seen her play, her defense and rebounding would be a great fit here.I do agree with you about the finding a gunner...somewhere, somehow because Nicole can't score 30+ a night.

I think Appel could outrun Paris in sprints head-to-head, because she does have more quickness. My concern about Appel's conditioning is that she, much like Paris, sucked wind a lot in games. She won't be asked to play as many minutes per game, but the minutes she will play will be probably more intense than any she's played thus far at Stanford. But I'm a fan of hers all the same.