MLB Thread - 2022

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Na, I think this…

… is going to far more harmful to the franchise long-term than a bad contract.

And personally I agree. It doesn’t seem like a good contract. Never did. I was never thrilled with it. But this backing out nonsense is terrible. Embarrassing. A black eye for the franchise that will linger for a long long long time.
I think you're overreacting. If it was a 1 or 2 year deal you'd have a point -- that's just negotiating in bad faith. But if there are already medical concerns in year zero of what would be the longest contract in MLB history, you have to protect your franchise and get whatever answers you need from medical experts first. The Mets swooped in and said "we don't care about medical issues, here's $315 million" and even though Correa now has to change positions to 3B, the seed of doubt with San Francisco had already been planted.

You're basically saying to me that you should just marry the woman you're not sure if you're in love with instead of leaving her at the alter because no one will ever want to marry you again after that. I think that's emotions talking. Yeah that's a lifelong commitment and this was a 13 year commitment but in baseball contract terms that's almost the same thing. If it's the wrong decision now, it's only going to get worse over time. Correa had no attachment to San Francisco. That $350 million offer is going to speak just as loudly a year from now or three years from now to another free agent as it did to Carlos a week ago.

I'm just saying that you'll probably be happy Correa isn't signed for 10 more years three years from now. He isn't in the echelon of players you can afford to mortgage your entire future on. Maybe you're right about Ohtani, but if he wanted to be a Mariner or a Dodger he would have been already -- he deliberately avoided both of those franchises when he signed his first contract because he didn't want to compete with their history of past Japanese players. And now the NL has a DH so he can play for SF and still get the same number of at-bats he gets in Anaheim. Oakland is not interested in being competitive for awhile so his only choices if he stays on the west coast and doesn't want to go to LA or Seattle are SF and SD. That should be an easy signing for the Giants if they care enough to try.
Potentially, but the Giants SHOULD be an organization that can absorb a bad contract down the line if they get a really good 5-7 years in the front-half. And you need Correa type players if you're trying to compete with the Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, Yankees, etc.

The problem is, the Giants are run far more like the A's than the Dodgers or Yankees. Farhan has been outstanding at finding value players, but we don't use our budget to actually go and compete.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Yeah, someone got cold feet. Ownership, or Farhan, the "injury" excuse is complete and utter bullcrap.

Sad. Steve Cohen is showing the way on how to invest in your team and put a product on the field that fans are going to watch, go to the games and support. And guess what, they're very likely to make a deep playoff run and should be the favorites to win a world series..... which pays off your investment into the team.

Just smells like ownership being cheapskates and not wanting to commit to a 300+mil deal as they've never done in franchise history. I tend to think it wasn't Farhan who backed out; he's smart enough where he'd know the blowback would be on him and he'd lose his job. My guess is ownership promised him job security and he's the public fall-guy for this nonsense.
Ha! The Mets are not showing anyone else how to invest properly, they're going to break the MLB collective bargaining agreement and force a new one the same way the Warriors have in the NBA. And that team is going to be an absolute disaster on the field once they realize that they've invested $500 million on one season and their starting rotation is anchored by two guys pushing 40. Maybe they'll win a World Series and the next 10 years will just be gravy to their fans but it's more likely they spend the next 10 years continuing to fulfill their role as the Knicks of MLB. All the money in the world and nothing to show for it.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Potentially, but the Giants SHOULD be an organization that can absorb a bad contract down the line if they get a really good 5-7 years in the front-half. And you need Correa type players if you're trying to compete with the Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, Yankees, etc.

The problem is, the Giants are run far more like the A's than the Dodgers or Yankees. Farhan has been outstanding at finding value players, but we don't use our budget to actually go and compete.
I'll just say this... the front office in Oakland has pretty much burned up all of my good will to the point where I might just skip baseball entirely next season. So I'm looking at the Giants situation completely as an outsider. My team is never going to offer anyone $350 million and the one time they have committed to someone with a modest long-term deal (Eric Chavez) it was a complete disaster. He was basically injured for 2/3 of that deal. We had a 100 win team in 2019 and they took it apart to save money while all of their competitors are spending like there's no tomorrow. Unlike Oakland, the Giants are capable of swimming with the big fish and they have the trophies to show for it but why does that have to be this deal with this player? The goal is to get wins with your money not pretend that you're competitive because you sign the biggest names to insane contracts every other year. That just makes you the Angels (or, for that matter, the Mets).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think you're overreacting. If it was a 1 or 2 year deal you'd have a point -- that's just negotiating in bad faith. But if there are already medical concerns in year zero of what would be the longest contract in MLB history, you have to protect your franchise and get whatever answers you need from medical experts first. The Mets swooped in and said "we don't care about medical issues, here's $315 million" and even though Correa now has to change positions to 3B, the seed of doubt with San Francisco had already been planted.

You're basically saying to me that you should just marry the woman you're not sure if you're in love with instead of leaving her at the alter because no one will ever want to marry you again after that. I think that's emotions talking. Yeah that's a lifelong commitment and this was a 13 year commitment but in baseball contract terms that's almost the same thing. If it's the wrong decision now, it's only going to get worse over time. Correa had no attachment to San Francisco. That $350 million offer is going to speak just as loudly a year from now or three years from now to another free agent as it did to Carlos a week ago.
They clearly are grasping at straws with Correa’s pre-MLB injury that hasn’t hampered him at all in the big leagues. The notoriously thrifty Twins had a standing offer of 10/285 and they had daily access to his medicals this last season. The Mets aren’t going to find a problem. And neither would any other team.

The Giants got cold feet and found an excuse to bail as the dude and his family were in SF ready to get introduced. It’s absolutely going to be a long-term black eye for the team.

Last edited:
They clearly are grasping at straws with Correa’s pre-MLB injury that hasn’t hampered him at all in the big leagues. The notoriously thrifty Twins had a standing offer of 10/285 and they had daily access to his medicals this last season. The Mets aren’t going to find a problem. And neither would any other team.

The Giants got cold feet and found an excuse to bail as the dude and his family were in SF ready to get introduced. It’s absolutely going to be a long-term black eye ib the team.
Yep, now the notoriously stingy Giants are going to have to drastically overpay to bring in an elite talent here. What do you think guys like Ohtani are going to use as a tie-breaker if they get $400 mil from the Giants and $400 mil from the Dodgers? Probably the team that didn't back out of a contract because of an injury 8 years ago that hasn't been a problem since...

Yeah, someone got cold feet. Ownership, or Farhan, the "injury" excuse is complete and utter bullcrap.

Sad. Steve Cohen is showing the way on how to invest in your team and put a product on the field that fans are going to watch, go to the games and support. And guess what, they're very likely to make a deep playoff run and should be the favorites to win a world series..... which pays off your investment into the team.

Just smells like ownership being cheapskates and not wanting to commit to a 300+mil deal as they've never done in franchise history. I tend to think it wasn't Farhan who backed out; he's smart enough where he'd know the blowback would be on him and he'd lose his job. My guess is ownership promised him job security and he's the public fall-guy for this nonsense.
To be fair, there has only been like 8 of those in the history of the game, and they all have been since 2019 and beyond.

Every single tweet gets worse and worse I swear. Lol

Oof, OOf, OOF

This looks damn bad. I do think we'll have a pretty good idea of who's behind this, depending on if Farhan gets fired in the next week or not. If he does, he backed out, if he doesn't, ownership got cold feet. I just don't know how you'd let your exec stay on if this was solely his call after this fiasco

Giants sign Micheal Conforto (LOL)

and the other Rogers twin (actually can’t complain about this one)
Conforto is actually super good if healthy. But yeah, could not get any more insane from an optics POV lol.

Too bad. I'm a big fan of every guy they've signed. Rogers fills a huge need as a lefty, is super good, and gets the twin boost. Giants FO just lost so much respect though, hard to be excited about thrse moves

dude12

Hall of Famer
Conforto if healthy is a really good signing…..optically, not great but he and the good Rogers twin are excellent. Platoon system activated.

Kepler has his work cut out….imagine how pissed the players are, let alone the fan base.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Is Rogers an option? I hope not. Dude can be Blake Treinen-type signing. Closer level dude coming off a bad year stolen out from under everyone else’s noses.

Knowing Farhan… it’s probably an option, he rehabs his value and bounces next offseason after he should have been traded with the Giants on the outside fringes of barely contending for a WC spot

dude12

Hall of Famer
Would be awesome if Casey Schmitt breaks out this year as a Rookie of the Year candidate and that they bring up Matos or Luciano or K Harrison half way thru the year and they hold their own but all of this is asking quite a bit. Especially for the 20-21 year old Matos, Luciano and Harrison. Schmitt is the most ready. Villar had a great last month of the season. Can he continue that for the whole year? Can JD Davis actually break out into a legit power source?

Lots of question marks.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Crazy. This couldn’t have been better for the Giants and Zaidi. The Giants off-season from Arson Judge to now has been wild swings in emotions and news

Ya'll Giants fans should breathe a huge sigh of relief that Correa went somewhere else; think he will never even come close to the money performance wise that the Mets might give him if that ends up going through, or whoever ultimately lands him.

I am a Braves fan, and feel the same way about Dansby going to the Cubs; love the dude, but not worth the kind of money he wanted.