MLB Thread - 2022

SLAB

Hall of Famer
My copium (if this falls through) is that years 8-13 would be miserable and we’re still nowhere near LA and SD while he’s in his prime, so who cares.

I’d honestly rather go full blown rebuild while those two own the division by such an insurmountable margin.

My copium (if this falls through) is that years 8-13 would be miserable and we’re still nowhere near LA and SD while he’s in his prime, so who cares.

I’d honestly rather go full blown rebuild while those two own the division by such an insurmountable margin.
the 28 mil AAV is likely next to nothing in 8 years with TV contracts, baseball growing, etc. And the Giants can still invest heavily in the farm AND spend a.la what the Dodgers have done the last 10 years. The maddening aspect is they spent so freaking poorly before Farhan got here and Farhan hasn't shelled out a dime yet to land an elite player. So being a big budget team just hasn't mattered for the Giants the last 7 years because of how poorly they've used it.

Farhan got some splainin to do. I know Steve Cohen basically just had monopoly money at this point, but they sure didn't waste any time shelling out the 300 mil deal. That's still an insane investment, even for him

So what scared us so badly?

I'm a giant Farhan fanboy, but this is the kind of thing you get fired over if his answers aren't good enough. Something just doesn't add up here; he's not healthy enough to sign with us, but signs another $300+mil contract within 24 hours? What?

I imagine the owners can't be happy either. This is going to be a giant hit in fan interest going forward and there's no fix left in the FA market to fill the Correa hole. Oof, oof, ooof

I’m thinking cold feet. Minnesota was offering 10 years. They know his medicals. Mets swooped In in less than 24 hours. I think Correa wasn’t really who the Giants wanted from the outset and I suspect Farhan and others felt they made a desperation move and wanted out.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m thinking cold feet. Minnesota was offering 10 years. They know his medicals. Mets swooped In in less than 24 hours. I think Correa wasn’t really who the Giants wanted from the outset and I suspect Farhan and others felt they made a desperation move and wanted out.
100% this

They’re gonna spin it like “WE TRIED TO SPEND MONEY SUPPORT US!”

And next season will be the exact same thing with Ohtani (he’s already a Dodger) and Soto the following year.

Farhan sucks. Ownership sucks. This franchise is a dumpster fire who will forever lean on the even year magic and that one season they won 107 (before losing to LA)

100% this

They’re gonna spin it like “WE TRIED TO SPEND MONEY SUPPORT US!”

And next season will be the exact same thing with Ohtani (he’s already a Dodger) and Soto the following year.

Farhan sucks. Ownership sucks. This franchise is a dumpster fire who will forever lean on the even year magic and that one season they won 107 (before losing to LA)
Thing is, Farhan is an elite GM. His talent evaluation and ability to find supremely undervalued players has long been proven with the Dodgers and with us. The one knock with the Giants is he hasn't spent money.

Still, this is the type of fiasco you lose your job over. Maybe he doesn't get fired right away, but if (when) the Giants are bad this year, he's likely out next off-season. You just can't have an elite franchise player signed on the dotted line, lose him because of "medicals" and then go watch him sign another $300+mil contract within 24 hours. Just utter nonsense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Thing is, Farhan is an elite GM. His talent evaluation and ability to find supremely undervalued players has long been proven with the Dodgers and with us. The one knock with the Giants is he hasn't spent money.

Still, this is the type of fiasco you lose your job over. Maybe he doesn't get fired right away, but if (when) the Giants are bad this year, he's likely out next off-season. You just can't have an elite franchise player signed on the dotted line, lose him because of "medicals" and then go watch him sign another $300+mil contract within 24 hours. Just utter nonsense.
I really can’t say Farhan is an elite GM. The Giants farm system is just as awful as it ever was. Sure he’s able to find dumpster dive talents but who cares when you can’t catch the big one to support that?

This isn’t just bad in the sense that the Giants aren’t getting Correa. The way this was handled will affect how the Giants are viewed by just about all players and agents for awhile in free agency. They may have no choice but to fire Farhan at some point for that reason.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, this couldn’t have gone worse. There will be consequences one way or the other. Most likely, fan interest may take a hit or the fans will let them know about at the games if there is a repeat of last years performance.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Even more LOL’s

now the Giants are interested in Conforto.

The man who missed all of last year injured.
… and is also a Scott Boras client.

I hope he passes his eventual physical with flying colors.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Giants reportedly backed out because of Correa’s ankle injury from 2014. You know… the one that hasn’t caused him any problems in the 8 seasons since.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We all know offering Correa 13 years was going to be painful for the second half of the deal. He's not Aaron Judge -- he plays a premium defensive position where age-related decline is likely, he's a good hitter not an elite one, and health has been an issue throughout his career already. I wouldn't judge the Giants too harshly for backing out until we see how Correa performs in New York. I'm thinking he has 2 or 3 All-Star years in him before beginning the slide into being one of the worst value players in the league -- but then the Mets apparently are spending a half billion dollars in salary for one season at this point when you add in the luxury tax bill so lighting money on fire isn't a problem for them.

13 years is a long time. Maybe right now it's disappointing to miss out on an All-Star shortstop but they can offer that contract to someone else over the next few years instead (Ohtani?) and keep the SS position open for Luciano. Adding Judge would have been nice but the Yankees bid more. And if you can't get an elite hitter for your money, you're better off investing in pitching.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We all know offering Correa 13 years was going to be painful for the second half of the deal. He's not Aaron Judge -- he plays a premium defensive position where age-related decline is likely, he's a good hitter not an elite one, and health has been an issue throughout his career already. I wouldn't judge the Giants too harshly for backing out until we see how Correa performs in New York. I'm thinking he has 2 or 3 All-Star years in him before beginning the slide into being one of the worst value players in the league -- but then the Mets apparently are spending a half billion dollars in salary for one season at this point when you add in the luxury tax bill so lighting money on fire isn't a problem for them.

13 years is a long time. Maybe right now it's disappointing to miss out on an All-Star shortstop but they can offer that contract to someone else over the next few years instead (Ohtani?) and keep the SS position open for Luciano. Adding Judge would have been nice but the Yankees bid more. And if you can't get an elite hitter for your money, you're better off investing in pitching.
Luciano is a few years away……and you have to assume he can stay at SS. Asking the fan base to be reasonable on this one probably isn’t going to happen. The only thing Farhan can do is piece it together with a platoon system, which works, and hope…..it actually works like 2 years ago. Still missing the big middle of the order bat, bullpen is not improved from last year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Ohtani isn’t even picking up the Giants phone call. Dude’s already a Dodger with how they’ve positioned themselves this offseason for a big spending one next year. Only hope is Devers, but he isn’t coming here either. Backing out of this deal as the dude is inside your ballpark getting ready is going to hurt this franchise just as badly as an albatross would have.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm just saying that you'll probably be happy Correa isn't signed for 10 more years three years from now. He isn't in the echelon of players you can afford to mortgage your entire future on. Maybe you're right about Ohtani, but if he wanted to be a Mariner or a Dodger he would have been already -- he deliberately avoided both of those franchises when he signed his first contract because he didn't want to compete with their history of past Japanese players. And now the NL has a DH so he can play for SF and still get the same number of at-bats he gets in Anaheim. Oakland is not interested in being competitive for awhile so his only choices if he stays on the west coast and doesn't want to go to LA or Seattle are SF and SD. That should be an easy signing for the Giants if they care enough to try.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm just saying that you'll probably be happy Correa isn't signed for 10 more years three years from now. He isn't in the echelon of players you can afford to mortgage your entire future on. Maybe you're right about Ohtani, but if he wanted to be a Mariner or a Dodger he would have been already -- he deliberately avoided both of those franchises when he signed his first contract because he didn't want to compete with their history of past Japanese players. And now the NL has a DH so he can play for SF and still get the same number of at-bats he gets in Anaheim. Oakland is not interested in being competitive for awhile so his only choices if he stays on the west coast and doesn't want to go to LA or Seattle are SF and SD. That should be an easy signing for the Giants if they care enough to try.
Na, I think this…

… is going to far more harmful to the franchise long-term than a bad contract.

And personally I agree about Correa and the contract. It doesn’t seem like a good idea. Never did. I was never thrilled with it. But this backing out nonsense is terrible. Embarrassing. A black eye for the franchise that will linger for a long long long time.

Yeah, someone got cold feet. Ownership, or Farhan, the "injury" excuse is complete and utter bullcrap.

Sad. Steve Cohen is showing the way on how to invest in your team and put a product on the field that fans are going to watch, go to the games and support. And guess what, they're very likely to make a deep playoff run and should be the favorites to win a world series..... which pays off your investment into the team.

Just smells like ownership being cheapskates and not wanting to commit to a 300+mil deal as they've never done in franchise history. I tend to think it wasn't Farhan who backed out; he's smart enough where he'd know the blowback would be on him and he'd lose his job. My guess is ownership promised him job security and he's the public fall-guy for this nonsense.