Minnesota fires Thibs

This post is relevant because some chance Joeger throws his hat in the ring. He is from Minnesota. They have a good young center and now will likely tank.

We shall see...

Well, he better hope there is still a vacancy after the 2019-2020 season. I don’t think your theory of self sabotage or irreconcilable differences with front office here in Sacramento will make him an attractive target for anybody. I think Joerger is happy with what he has here in Sacramento. I disagree, Minnesota likely isn’t going to tank and if they did they would likely end up in the all so familiar 8-10 purgatory anyway. They fired a coach they believed wasn’t getting the most out of their talent and has quickly become a fossil in today’s game. They’re 19-21 right in the playoff chase. They fired Thibs. They didn’t trade KAT.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Dave will be in Minnesota next year or Williams will be gone I see him playing his hand with Minnesota opening

I was hoping for D'Antoni to fall on the sword with the Rox this year after their rough start. That would have given the Kings some interesting options if he stayed available.

Don’t really like Joerger’s comments in Ham’s piece about

“Obviously I’m a Minnesota kid, so it’s interesting, but at the same time, my focus is right here, right now” in regards to Minnesota’s possible opening

Instead of the unequivocal denial.

“Obviously I’m a Minnesota kid, so it’s interesting, but at the same time, my focus is right here, right now” in regards to Minnesota’s possible opening

Who wouldn't use leverage in negotiations? I think it's a non issue as it is rumored that not only the fans want Ryan Saunders to remain head coach permanently, but so does the owner.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'd rather he said nothing but I don't really see his comment as an issue either. He very quickly shifted it right back to his current focus.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Of course you don't like his comments. He was being totally candid in his answer, while making sure it's understood his focus is here. An "unequivocal denial" by Joerger would have just been fodder for those who would immediately accuse him of lying because any coach would at least think about a chance to coach his hometown NBA team.

Joerger made a very unambiguous comment. I find it refreshing.