Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
Which may be a good thing. I remember excitement over Musselman and his powerpoint presentations. I want good coaching, not excitement over gimmicks or the unknown of having a young coach that hasn't done anything yet.
Muss was actually a good coach the problem was the Kings roster was in free fall and ownership somehow thought the previous coach was keeping us from glory rather than accepting the need to rebuild while they could get value on the bones of the glory years.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this hire comes with a lot of pressure to end the longest playoff drought in NBA history. It's a good start that he is defensive oriented. Even if the offense isn't all that great, if the team can hover in the top 15 range on the defensive side then maybe they can be competitive on a game to game basis. That said, him finishing out his contract would be similar to waiting for Haley's Comet.

this hire comes with a lot of pressure to end the longest playoff drought in NBA history. It's a good start that he is defensive oriented. Even if the offense isn't all that great, if the team can hover in the top 15 range on the defensive side then maybe they can be competitive on a game to game basis. That said, him finishing out his contract would be similar to waiting for Haley's Comet.
And if he gets into the play in let alone 8th he's getting a statue, lol. Talk about nowhere to go but up. This is why I think if they waited for Snyder you could sell him on the actual lack of pressure because it if fails it's just year 17 of 17 in the grand scheme.

If the kings are serious about righting the ship and creating stability they will offer monte a 4 year extension.
I say keep the pressure on him because now that's actually where it's at. This is 100% his show (thank goodness) and same as Mike Brown, if he gets into the middle of the pack then he's going to get the mega deal on the back end. Let him bet on himself.

The “he only won because of Lebron” argument would probably be more urgent and convincing if we hadn’t been coached for the past two and a half seasons by a guy who couldn’t even do that.
I didn’t say he “only won because of LeBron” and wasn’t making any comment on his success or lack of success as a head coach. I was just saying it’s hard to gauge what Brown’s own philosophy, system, or what he can get out of a roster 1-12 is because of how LeBron centric every facet of the Cavs were.

Just about every coach would’ve probably managed the Cavs the same way. It wasn’t a praise or a knock of Brown.

I’m just saying it clouds expectations of what Brown would do with a team where the roles, style of play, rotations, who to run things through are far less defined than a team with LeBron James and limited rotation players. A team like the Kings.

Despite his head coaching experience, I think there is a lot of mystery there. Mystery isn’t good or bad. A lot of us wanted a novice from a staff like Kerr’s, Budenholzers, Udoka’s, etc. but now we got the head assistant of Kerr’s who actually does have a lot of head coaching experience at the highest level, but for some reason feels almost as mysterious as if it had been Darvin Ham.

I think this has been the prevailing thought around the league as well. Mike Brown wasn’t able to establish an identity as a head coach to where teams thought they knew what they were getting out of a Mike Brown led team. Whats the system of a Mike Brown team? We know the Cavs probably aren’t the template GM’s think of because there’s only one LeBron. So teams looked elsewhere. Otherwise a coach with his postseason and finals experience wouldn’t have nearly a decade separating head coaching jobs. I don’t think it’s because they thought “well, he can’t win without LeBron” but more that there isn’t a good complete feel/data for Mike Brown as a head coach without LeBron.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
And if he gets into the play in let alone 8th he's getting a statue, lol. Talk about nowhere to go but up. This is why I think if they waited for Snyder you could sell him on the actual lack of pressure because it if fails it's just year 17 of 17 in the grand scheme.
if they wait for Snyder and he declines, then the Kings may not have Brown around to hire. If Monte is good at one thing, it's about making moves when necessary. If it isn't there then he moves on and doesn't play the wait and see game.

There are signs Davion can be an outlier defensive guard. But, obviously no one.. Dray is a generational defender and effectively changed basketball with him being able to small-ball 5.
At best, Davion can be elite guarding 1-2. 3s? Some, but ineffective against the KD types. 4 and 5 are pipe dreams. Draymond can defend 1-5. So even if Davion is an outlier, I think he is, his impact is still pretty much limited to the perimeter. So no matter how great Davion is defensively, still can’t play that Draymond role where you got a dude that can defend every inch of the defensive half court.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Anyone one else ever read a thread on this board without focusing on who is posting and think “man, the board is super negative on this topic” only to realize that half the posts are from KB02 just saying the same thing over and over in response to everyone? Lol.
KB02 is the same one who said Edmond Sumner would be a star. It’s all gibberish.

The amount of people who are happy with this hire shows what a smashing success that ruse was.
Exactly what i was thinking. Move to the perceived worst candidate, get the fan base riled up and then hire the guy you want. The fan base will be just fine with anyone other than the guy who had them riled up for a week.

Muss was actually a good coach the problem was the Kings roster was in free fall and ownership somehow thought the previous coach was keeping us from glory rather than accepting the need to rebuild while they could get value on the bones of the glory years.
A DUI also didn’t help his chances….

A "meh" pick for me.

I think he's a ways behind Malone and Joerger for the best coaching hires since Adelman but firmly in front of the likes of Walton, Gentry, Smart, Westphal etc.

I'd still rather have a "nobody" young coaching assistant but he's the lesser of some of the evils we saw in Jackson and D'Antoni. Not that D'Antoni is a bad coach but our roster doesn't fit what he likes to do so it's just not a fit.