Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
Who is this team’s Draymond?
I never said we had one. It shows that Brown is progressive in his thinking. We have a trio of dogs on defense at the guard positions, and if he can make Curry into a respectable defender then there is hope for Fox.

If we can get a shotblocker next to Sabonis he has shown to be able to defend at a good level. He's smart and reads defenses well, he just doesn't have the speed to cover the perimeter like Green does. I'm sure someone smart at defense, like Brown, can figure out something.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There have been coaches that have failed with Lebron in the past and we’ve had one of em, so, using the “oh he coached Lebron” thing against Mike Brown is weird to me. Yea, coaches need talent to win. Shocking!
It is the big strike against him plus his losing season with a very bad Cavs roster.

pluses:
20 years of NBA coaching experience but he's only 52 - definitely has 10 years in the tank for sure if it works out
Top defensive mind
successfully managed two coach killers to winning seasons
respect around the league from most players and fans (a few jaded Lakers and Cavs fans appear not to like him)
Made Metu look like a star in the Olympics

today our defensive pitbulls are Mitchell or DDV but they could be looking to draft one in the frontcourt or trade or? That's the neat thing about having flexibility by not trading our picks for the next 7 years, and having the MLE plus expected cap room next season. Lots of flexibility. Interesting to see what the vision is. I don't think Brown takes this job if he doesn't see potential and share a vision with Monte. He knows if he can't succeed here he won't get another head coaching gig.
This team isn't that team but that playing up and aggressive rather than playing 3 feet off the perimeter is what's needed. Sabonis is the nonfit because the Warriors run Dray at that spot in the death lineups. I personally think Domas can do some of those things though. He's got quick feet and he's strong. He'll have to play up farther on pick and roll though.
With Domas at the 5, the Draymond defensive role needs to come from the three or four spot. Ron Artest could play that role today as a three. Physically, Holmes should be able to play the same role as Draymond, but he doesn’t have the defensive IQ to do so. I can’t think of any NBA players, outside of Draymond, Ben, and maybe Herb Jones or Anounby who can play that role right now. In the draft, maybe Chet long term or maybe Sochan long term.

I never said we had one. It shows that Brown is progressive in his thinking. We have a trio of dogs on defense at the guard positions, and if he can make Curry into a respectable defender then there is hope for Fox.

If we can get a shotblocker next to Sabonis he has shown to be able to defend at a good level. He's smart and reads defenses well, he just doesn't have the speed to cover the perimeter like Green does. I'm sure someone smart at defense, like Brown, can figure out something.
This is one of those chicken and egg situations. I think what makes GSW’s defense special is Draymond. Without him, that system collapses. As for Fox, he absolutely has the physical tools to be an above average defender. Elite even. The desire to? Haven’t seen it yet.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
With Domas at the 5, the Draymond defensive role needs to come from the three or four spot. Ron Artest could play that role today as a three. Physically, Holmes should be able to play the same role as Draymond, but he doesn’t have the defensive IQ to do so. I can’t think of any NBA players, outside of Draymond, Ben, and maybe Herb Jones or Anounby who can play that role right now. In the draft, maybe Chet long term or maybe Sochan long term.
I don't disagree that the primary need for this team is that lock down defensive 3/4 (and then a lights out shooter who will at least play defense in the other spot) but it will be interesting to see what Brown gets out of who is already here because most of this roster has only had Luke or Gentry as coach and defense was an afterthought. Sabonis who has a "bad defense" rep actually showed himself to be better than most of the guys who were here when he got here. I think there is definitely a different standard for "bad at defense" on a playoff team vs "bad at defense" on a Kings team the last 3+ seasons.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm not sure what Dave expects to happen while the playoffs are on and a roster freeze is in effect. The only difference between Brown and one of the unproven assistants is that we could project all our wildest fantasies on those assistants whereas Brown we have some clue what we will get. Defense and probably some version of the Princeton to start.

I'm not sure what Dave expects to happen while the playoffs are on and a roster freeze is in effect. The only difference between Brown and one of the unproven assistants is that we could project all our wildest fantasies on those assistants whereas Brown we have some clue what we will get. Defense and probably some version of the Princeton to start.
Yeah Mike Brown was once one of those dream young coach, San Antonio system guys.

I don't disagree that the primary need for this team is that lock down defensive 3/4 (and then a lights out shooter who will at least play defense in the other spot) but it will be interesting to see what Brown gets out of who is already here because most of this roster has only had Luke or Gentry as coach and defense was an afterthought. Sabonis who has a "bad defense" rep actually showed himself to be better than most of the guys who were here when he got here. I think there is definitely a different standard for "bad at defense" on a playoff team vs "bad at defense" on a Kings team the last 3+ seasons.
Tari Eason let’s goooo

I think the key takeaway is the rearranging of deck chairs. Sometimes it’s better to just go full steam ahead into the iceberg. And if so, might as well hire Mark Jackson, pound shots, and breakdance next to the band as it sinks.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah but Will Hardy coached under Pop for years and could be anything once he’s hired as a head coach in his 30s. He could even be Mike Brown, who coached under Pop for years and got his first head coaching job in his 30s!

I was of the thinking that Jackson's name was floated as a finalist to make everyone "pleased" when Brown became the choice. If that was the front office thinking, it worked on me. I was so relieved that it wasn't Jackson that I have come to like the Brown choice. Two weeks ago I wanted one of the young assistant coaches Hamd, Hardy, Lee) now...I am all in on Brown. Not choosing Jackson has that effect. The fact that Vivek let Monte make the call bodes well. Vivek may always be on the more meddlesome side as far as owners go, but maybe as he matures as an owner he will show some more restraint and use better judgment. He certainly did in this case. Now nail the draft, make some shrewd free agent signings (3 and D types) and the team is on the way to some degree of success. How much success? Time will tell

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah Mike Brown was once one of those dream young coach, San Antonio system guys.
It really is hard to lose site of the fact that he's 52. He's a whole year older than Mike Malone. 3 years younger than Quin Snyder. Coaches we'd be very happy with. I think it's arguable that he's an upgrade over Malone and the best coach we've had since Adelman. Who was 52 when we hired him.

I will die on my sword that Musselman was a good coach though.

Anyone one else ever read a thread on this board without focusing on who is posting and think “man, the board is super negative on this topic” only to realize that half the posts are from KB02 just saying the same thing over and over in response to everyone? Lol.
I thought of starting a Fox season in review/ things to watch thread but knew where it would go and decided to leave it be.

I was of the thinking that Jackson's name was floated as a finalist to make everyone "pleased" when Brown became the choice. If that was the front office thinking, it worked on me. I was so relieved that it wasn't Jackson that I have come to like the Brown choice. Two weeks ago I wanted one of the young assistant coaches Hamd, Hardy, Lee) now...I am all in on Brown. Not choosing Jackson has that effect. The fact that Vivek let Monte make the call bodes well. Vivek may always be on the more meddlesome side as far as owners go, but maybe as he matures as an owner he will show some more restraint and use better judgment. He certainly did in this case. Now nail the draft, make some shrewd free agent signings (3 and D types) and the team is on the way to some degree of success. How much success? Time will tell
Haha, pretty much. They wanted someone with experience and the only real ones on that list with some degree or a bunch were the finalists and D'Antoni.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Anyone one else ever read a thread on this board without focusing on who is posting and think “man, the board is super negative on this topic” only to realize that half the posts are from KB02 just saying the same thing over and over in response to everyone? Lol.
his track record of things that are definitely going to happen this offseason (D'Antoni didn't even make the final cut, Monte actually appears to be consolidating power not losing it), coupled with Ty Lue can't get a job in the NBA and raising over $3000 for charity by trying to run from a bet not looking too smooth right now. But I gotta admit _sometimes_ he gets it right.

I do look forward to seeing what Brown can get from Fox. and how the Fox/Ox combo works with a full camp/preseason over the course of games that matter.

I think the key takeaway is the rearranging of deck chairs. Sometimes it’s better to just go full steam ahead into the iceberg. And if so, might as well hire Mark Jackson, pound shots, and breakdance next to the band as it sinks.
Not when you actually started turning away from it. For the first time in forever the Kings have talent that doesn't all share 1 position or is all under 6'4". The issue now is they don't have a real long term SG/SF but that can be easily corrected on draft night.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not when you actually started turning away from it. For the first time in forever the Kings have talent that doesn't all share 1 position or is all under 6'4". The issue now is they don't have a real long term SG/SF but that can be easily corrected on draft night.
There's like a 66% chance that the BPA is going to fill a position of need for us this year, so that's exciting.