Michael Porter Jr

Are you serious? In that first video he was being guarded by shorter, quicker players, so he did what he should have done, shot the ball over them. Why don't you show me some video of him being guarded by a player his own size? Then you point out how Dennis Smith took his man off the dribble. Really? Are you comparing the quickness of one of the fastest, quickest PG's in last years draft to Porter? Of course Smith is a better ballhandler and is quicker. So? What the hell is your point?

Go find the highschool all star game where Porter went up against Bagley and out played him. This is a case of you making up your mind, and then trying to find evidence to back it up. What I find ironic is that I heard some of this same nonsense about Tatum last year. Look, if you have doubts about Porter's back, I think that's a legit fear to have. But please don't tell me that he's a poor athlete when I saw him play in high school and he simply dominated every player he came up against. There was a reason he was considered the number one high school player in the nation.
I guarantee porter won’t score 20ppg there’s plenty of HS scores like him that got exposed in college

I think that's the risk you take with Porter. He should score pretty well when he turns pro, but from what I've read about his defensive awareness is not very good and he could get bullied at the next level without a lot of work.

The bonus with a player like Porter is that you can coach players to get better defensively as long as they work hard and are committed enough. Someone like Wiggins doesn't appear to be that kinda guy.. is Porter someone that will work on his defense and try hard? If he does, that's great for the team that takes him. If he doesn't, he'll end up like Michael Beasley.

At 2 I'd not take the risk, but if there's when Orlando or Chicago are drafting I'd take him.
I feel the same way. It's also why I was happy with the idea of the Kings drafting him at #7. Relatively low pressure with a lot of potential upside. Picking at #2 is great but it also definitely increases my stress level in terms of the Kings not blowing a great opportunity.

I feel the same way. It's also why I was happy with the idea of the Kings drafting him at #7. Relatively low pressure with a lot of potential upside. Picking at #2 is great but it also definitely increases my stress level in terms of the Kings not blowing a great opportunity.
It's such a big risk at #2 when you know Ayton will at least give 15-10, Doncic 10-5-5, and Bagley 14-8 (rookie years). Porter Jr? giant question mark.

I want to get another 1st round pick and draft him. The problem with that is that we're not sure where he goes. He was slotted as the #1 overall prospect before the college season. He could easily rise as high as #3 if he impresses a lot in his workouts. So where is that lucky spot you'd trade up to?

The only teams who I see would be willing to completely trade out of the top 6 are Memphis and Dallas. #4/#5 prospectively. Is Bogdan/Buddy+WCS enough? I'm leaning towards probably not.

Porter will 20ppg walking into this league and will have more of an impact over the first four years than any other rookie in this draft. That’s what the Kings need right now. Doncic won’t be that in this league ever.

Porter gives us the Iso option mid post, stretches he floor when Fox is running pick and rolls with Giles, he allows us to play fast while still having the height to defend the perimeter shooters.

I say take Porter over Doncic if Ayton goes #1.

We already have one of the brightest PGs in the league and definitely don’t need Doncic as another Boggie/Buddy as they are already too similar. JJ comes off the bench as a spot up 3pt shooter. Trade WCS and Skal now as you’ll only get diminishing returns the longer we hang onto them. They both believe they are alpha scoring options but are far from it. Sign athletic defenders, rim protectors and rebounders.

Shumpert then fits into the rotation perfectly and becomes more than useful over the next season if healthy.

I’ve changed my view since we received the #2 pick and believe need wins now to become a desired destination like Philly has. No one thought LeBron would ever consider playing there when they had a 27 win season but now they are a top 4 likely destination.

Porter and his scoring power will give us the best chance of doing this.

I understand the concerns about Porter’s back injury and his longevity. At the end of the day doesn’t matter who will become the greastest ever out of the draft what matters is who is going to be have the biggest impact and give their team most improvement now.

It was Mitchell this year even though Tatum may prove to be the better player long term. We can all agree it’s never going to be the #2 popular choice Lonzo Ball.

Let’s not make the same mistake as the Lakers. 2018-19 it’s Porter for me hands down as the biggest instant impact that the Kings need

Porter will 20ppg walking into this league and will have more of an impact over the first four years than any other rookie in this draft. That’s what the Kings need right now. Doncic won’t be that in this league ever.

Porter gives us the Iso option mid post, stretches he floor when Fox is running pick and rolls with Giles, he allows us to play fast while still having the height to defend the perimeter shooters.

We already have one of the brightest PGs in the league and definitely don’t need Doncic as another Boggie/Buddy as they are already too similar. JJ comes off the bench as a spot up 3pt shooter. Trade WCS and Skal now as you’ll only get diminishing returns the longer we hang onto them. They both believe they are alpha scoring options but are far from it. Sign athletic defenders, rim protectors and rebounders.

Shumpert then fits into the rotation perfectly and becomes more than useful over the next season if healthy.

I’ve changed my view since we received the #2 pick and believe need wins now to become a desired destination like Philly has. No one thought LeBron would ever consider playing there when they had a 27 win season but now they are a top 4 likely destination.

I understand the concerns about Porter’s back injury and his longevity. At the end of the day doesn’t matter who will become the greastest ever out of the draft what matters is who is going to be have the biggest impact and give their team most improvement now.

It was Mitchell this year even though Tatum may prove to be the better player long term. We can all agree it’s never going to be the #2 popular choice Lonzo Ball.

Let’s not make the same mistake as the Lakers. 2018-19 it’s Porter for me hands down as the biggest instant impact that the Kings need
I’m willing to bet you Porter won’t get 20ppg his 4 years let alone next year.

Smh I’m telling you some of you guys are gonna be in for a rude awakening when you see Porter play

If we can somehow get a 2019 draft pick and still get Porter, that would be ideal.

If we trade with Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis or Orlando. Kings can get another Top 10 pick next year.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If we can somehow get a 2019 draft pick and still get Porter, that would be ideal.

If we trade with Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis or Orlando. Kings can get another Top 10 pick next year.
Problem will be is porter is the annual chip guy. He wants to prove he is worthy of top pick. He will likely move up from projections. He will not make it past Dallas. Not sure if he makes it past Memphis. Or even us lol

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
At the end of the day doesn’t matter who will become the greastest ever out of the draft what matters is who is going to be have the biggest impact and give their team most improvement now.
And this is 100% wrong. This is nabbing Tyreke Evans and passing on Stephen Curry and DeMar DeRozan. You absolutely want to find a future all-star, not a ROY who never gets significantly better.

And this is 100% wrong. This is nabbing Tyreke Evans and passing on Stephen Curry and DeMar DeRozan. You absolutely want to find a future all-star, not a ROY who never gets significantly better.
Get your point, but don't like the analogy. Injuries played a big part

Get your point, but don't like the analogy. Injuries played a big part
Not sure about this. I am pretty sure that Curry had all the injury issues with his glass ankles as well.

Its obvious that Tyreke never had the hunger to be the best. He really could have been a perennial all-star if he only added a consistent jump shot. It took him how long to do that?

Not sure about this. I am pretty sure that Curry had all the injury issues with his glass ankles as well.

Its obvious that Tyreke never had the hunger to be the best. He really could have been a perennial all-star if he only added a consistent jump shot. It took him how long to do that?
He lacked something. He was also horribly mismanaged by our organization. But if he had the killer instinct it wouldn't have mattered.

Tyreke's game was built around him getting to and finishing at the rim. His ability to do that diminished significantly with injury. Also, 20-5-5 didn't kill him, Smart sticking him in the corner as an SF did. Wasted 2-3 years of development

Absolutely agree with this. The worst thing that we did for Tyreke and the franchise was the 20-5-5 push.
I freely admit I was caught up in the excitement at the time but looking back it was an absolute horror show.
Tyreke's game was built around him getting to and finishing at the rim. His ability to do that diminished significantly with injury. Also, 20-5-5 didn't kill him, Smart sticking him in the corner as an SF did. Wasted 2-3 years of development
20-5-5 had two effects, first it was pushing his body to the point of breaking down just so they could have a fancy number and an organization in complete disarray could claim a ROtY. Second, it set up impossible expectations moving forward. They pushed him as being in MJ and LeBron territory on the basis of 20-5-5. That is a pretty ludicrous expectation to throw on a kid. Especially one that might be a tad more humble than those two.

And yes, not letting him settle into a position was the final nail in the coffin. But the Kings org couldn't hammer those suckers in fast enough.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But did Steph Curry have glass ankles issues coming out of college? I just looked back and he missed a single game in his entire college career. I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time, and it wasn't until his third year in the NBA that he missed any significant time. Are you sure the glass ankles didn't develop later?

Music to my ears! I agree 100%.

If Porter can come good on his potential coming out of high school then he could end up being the best player in this year's draft class. However, I am not totally sold on him at #2. It's a bit risky for my liking because of that recent back injury and the fact that he is not known for his defensive contributions. That's why I see more Michael Beasley in his game than Kevin Durant. On his night Beasley can score and go toe-to-toe with the best players in the league, but he's far to inconsistent and doesn't contribute enough defensively to make him a centerpiece on a good team.

At #2 if we aren't going for Ayton or Doncic, I would give serious consideration to Jaren Jackson and Marvin Bagley...

Jackson brings athleticism, shot blocking, rebounding, and shooting treys to the table. He would be an ideal fit at PF or C in today's NBA. My concern with Jackson is that he didn't dominate in college offensively and projects to be a third or fourth option unless he puts it together offensively in the NBA. The foul trouble can be coached out of him, but that would be another concern if that continued.

Bagley would be a safer selection than Porter if what we are looking for is a potential go to scorer. Bagley brings athleticism and has enough size to play PF or C, though his best fit is certainly PF. He is pretty well rounded and if he is coached up and committed enough the defensive end should improve. I see him Bagley as a first or second option scoring wise. The concern with this selection is that if we pair him and Willie together, neither are particularly prolific shot blockers, which would be problematic and might mean we have to assess who we pair Bagley with in the starting line up.

For me, I would go Ayton or Doncic with the second pick, but I can see the appeal of the other prospects.

The concern with this is will those teams necessarily be in the lottery next season?

It all depends on how their off seasons work out. Dallas don't intend to tank. Atlanta don't stay bad for long and have enough draft picks and assets to get better. Memphis will want to bounce back unless they trade Conley, Parsons and Gasol to go into full on tank mode. And Orlando will want to start getting better and with the right moves could be a fringe contender for a play off spot, because last season they were one of the teams hurt most by injuries and had they stayed healthy they would likely have won more games.

If we aren't sold on Ayton and Doncic, then I'd be fine trading back with any of those teams to acquire their pick this year and another pick next year. In fact based on a trade value chart #3 and #30 is roughly the same as #2. So we could move back one spot and let Atlanta pick who they want, then we get the guy we want, and then pick up someone at the end of the first round. But I wouldn't try and get fancy at this point and would just select the BPA at 2 unless we got a deal too good to turn down.

But did Steph Curry have glass ankles issues coming out of college? I just looked back and he missed a single game in his entire college career. I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time, and it wasn't until his third year in the NBA that he missed any significant time. Are you sure the glass ankles didn't develop later?
Yes, they did.

Curry wasn't dinged for health concerns. If anything it was a positive that he'd been so durable as a slightly built, heavy usage scoring guard.

Curry's knocks were his frame/wingspan and lack of high level athleticism, as well the question of what his role was in the NBA. Could he be a starting PG or undersized SG playing his style or was he limited to being an off the bench shooter/scorer?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Question for others to ponder.....because that's what I'm waiting for..... What if Porter comes in for a workout with a few others and blows the staff away? And the Kings medical staff says his back is not going to be a problem.

I personally will take Doncic or Ayton but what if Porter kills his workout? That is what I'm waiting to see. Would love to see him with a few other potential top picks work out together.

Yes, they did.

Curry wasn't dinged for health concerns. If anything it was a positive that he'd been so durable as a slightly built, heavy usage scoring guard.

Curry's knocks were his frame/wingspan and lack of high level athleticism, as well the question of what his role was in the NBA. Could he be a starting PG or undersized SG playing his style or was he limited to being an off the bench shooter/scorer?
I don't believe @ParniValjak was making the point that injury issues plagued Curry in college. @mac stated that injuries played a part in derailing Evans's development, to which @ParniValjak responded that Curry had injuries too, yet Curry still developed to the player he is today.

Speaking of workouts, it would be awesome to have fox, Giles, buddy, and Bogie all there to challenge these top prospects. Let's get bogie and Giles going at Porter and Bagley. They will push these guys harder than having Porter or Bagley in one day with a bunch of 2nd round talent.

No way. 2019 draft is terrible. Trading a 2nd rounder for a pick for an injured unknown and a pick in a weak draft is the very last thing we should do.

Speaking of workouts, it would be awesome to have fox, Giles, buddy, and Bogie all there to challenge these top prospects. Let's get bogie and Giles going at Porter and Bagley. They will push these guys harder than having Porter or Bagley in one day with a bunch of 2nd round talent.
Not sure if it's still the case, but I recall hearing at one point that there's a rule against current players participating in workouts against potential draftees.

No way. 2019 draft is terrible. Trading a 2nd rounder for a pick for an injured unknown and a pick in a weak draft is the very last thing we should do.
2019 doesn't have a lot of hype coming into it the way that 2018 did last year or 2017 felt deep AF, but it's early to call it terrible. This year was a 3 player draft before it was a 2 player draft, despite it being a 2 player draft suddenly it's a 4 player draft that we should see about acquiring the 8th pick in. Feel me?