McKie agrees to terms with Lakers

T

TheEnemy

Lakers Point to McKie
By Mark Heisler, Times Staff Writer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers22aug22,1,6730974.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Ending their search for a point guard, or at least a Phil Jackson-type point guard, the Lakers have agreed to terms with another candidate no one could have predicted, Aaron McKie.

"We've come to an agreement," said McKie's agent, Leon Rose, from his home in Pennsauken, N.J., Sunday. "Everything will get done over the course of the next few days.

"The Lakers approached him with a nice offer. He had a long talk with Coach Jackson regarding the situation and the role he can play was something that appealed to him.

"Coach Jackson has had a lot of success with veteran big guards and hopefully Aaron can have the same kind of success and bring the team a defensive presence.

"He's also looking forward to playing with Kobe Bryant. He's known him a long time from their days in Philadelphia."

The agreement is for two years and $5 million. The Lakers had no comment.

The agreement with McKie is expected to end negotiations with Derek Anderson, another big veteran guard who received a similar offer but was expected to take less and sign with the Houston Rockets.

Having traded Chucky Atkins, last season's starter, the Lakers have been looking for a successor in Jackson's unconventional mold, in which size and attitude count more than youth, athleticism, scoring ability — or even any experience as a point guard.

In Jackson's triangle offense, the point guard is called the "initiator." He sets things up and makes the first pass but doesn't control the ball as much as a conventional point guard and doesn't have to be as good a playmaker.

When Jackson arrived with the Lakers in 1999, he benched starting point guard Derek Fisher, who had just gotten a five-year, $15-million contract, and brought in bigger, older Ron Harper to replace him. Harper had played shooting guard for his entire career until Jackson switched him to "initiator" with the Bulls in 1995 at age 31.

A shooting guard throughout his career, the 6-foot-5, 210-pound McKie will be 33 in October. He is known as a tough competitor with a stand-up-guy reputation but his career has declined sharply since he started for the 76ers, who lost to the Lakers in the 2001 NBA Finals.

Last season, new 76er Coach Jim O'Brien parked McKie on the bench for the first half of the season to go with younger players. McKie got back into the rotation, averaging 21 minutes a game after the All-Star break, but his 2.2 average was by far the lowest of his career.

Anderson offered the Lakers a younger (31), more athletic option, averaging 9.2 points last season in Portland, although he missed 66 games in his last two seasons there. However, the Lakers weren't convinced he was the defender and leader they wanted. Anderson is known as sunny and likable but his attitude was questioned by people in Portland. He reportedly didn't take it as a compliment when the Lakers asked him about it during his visit here two weeks ago.

Last week for the first time, the Lakers contacted McKie's agent, Rose. Until then, McKie had been expected to take a $1.1-million offer to back up Vince Carter in New Jersey.

By then, Anderson was reportedly leaning toward the Rockets, who could offer him only $1.7 million but made him feel he was the player they wanted.

The Lakers then made similar offers to McKie and Anderson, hoping to assure themselves of getting one of them.

With a $2.5-million slot left, the Lakers would like to add a small, quick guard or a big man. Their top guard prospect, former Laker Tyrone Lue, is expected to re-sign in Atlanta.

Still on the Lakers' list and available are former UCLA Bruin Earl Watson and former Laker Jannero Pargo. With a short list of big men to choose from, a return by Vlade Divac may be possible.

He will be the worst poing guard in NBA history. Unless his job is to dribble past the midcourt in less than 8 seconds (where he will struggle) and pass the ball of to Kobe.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sloter said:
He will be the worst poing guard in NBA history. Unless his job is to dribble past the midcourt in less than 8 seconds (where he will struggle) and pass the ball of to Kobe.
That's exactly his job description in a Phil Jackson offense. That, spot up for the occasional open three, and defend.

And in Phil's offense, he should actually be a pretty good fit and be effective. Not as a true PG, but fulfilling the role Phil wants him too.

McKie's attributes for being the worst point guard in NBA history:
Slow: Check
Can't dribble: Check
No previous point guard experience: Check
Can't create the shot for himself or others: Check

He can score when he's wide open, but so could Chucky Atkins...

sloter said:
McKie's attributes for being the worst point guard in NBA history:
Can't dribble: Check
No previous point guard experience: Check
Can't create the shot for himself or others: Check

He can score when he's wide open, but so could Chucky Atkins...
McKie may be quite a mediocre player, but your argument pretty much sucked. FYI.

KA_2 said:
McKie may be quite a mediocre player, but your argument pretty much sucked. FYI.
Ok, provide me with an argument why I should believe he will be more successful than Chucky Atkins playing PG ?
He is slow even for a SG/SF, so he'll get burned on defense every time. He doesn't play very well with the ball either. I've seen him play for the Sixers from 2000 to 2003 and he definitely didn't get any faster in the meantime.

sloter said:
Ok, provide me with an argument why I should believe he will be more successful than Chucky Atkins playing PG ?
Because pretty much EVERYONE and/or ANYONE will be more successful than Chucky.:p Plus, having PJ rather than Rudy or Frank "I don't want to be the coach" Hamblin will help also.

Yeah, but he is not a magician to turn a 2.2 PPG player into an all-star.
Chucky's numbers last year weren't THAT bad either ... they will definitely be better than numbers which McKie will be able to put up (especially if he does play PG spot, which I doubt). Now you can argue that he does the little things that don't show up in the stat sheet, but I was never that impressed with him.
Just a spot up shooter.

Neither was Ron Harper and he worked out. Gary Payton didn't work out and he was an All-Star point guard. I agree that McKie is getting old, but if anybody could make it work it would be Phil.

BonziFan said:
Neither was Ron Harper and he worked out. Gary Payton didn't work out and he was an All-Star point guard. I agree that McKie is getting old, but if anybody could make it work it would be Phil.
I'll agree with that.
And where did I say that he was going to turn him into an allstar?? All I'm saying is that he will be better than Chucky.

I didn't say that you thought he would turn him in to an All-Star. I was simply pointing out that Gary was and that didn't work. Also, Ron I don't believe ever was and it was a great fit. I certainly don't think McKie makes them anywhere near any of the teams that Phil has had, but it could be a good addition.

Gargamel said:
This foreshadows some trade(s) to thin the roster. There's still half of the MLE and LLE.
Yup. Plus from the LA Times article we have interest in Watson or Pargo (I'd become loopy if we could get Watson). So there is definately going to have to be a 3 for 1 type of trade eventually happening just to make room to have a 15 player roster.

As for Mckie, I love the signing. I see many fans here and even fellow Laker fans saying things that makes one question where they have been the past decade.

Phil has never liked playing a traditional point guard in his system. The closest thing he ever had was Payton and we saw how that turned out. Harper, Shaw, Fisher, Brown, etc... none of those guys were points. They could handle pressure and get the ball across halfcourt, hit the occassional open shot, and basically not screw things up. They was never expected to blow by their man or average 5 + assists a game. Kobe, Odom, and Mckie will all bring the ball up during the game make the first pass and then go to their spot. It's pretty simple, a monkey could do it.

A

AriesMar27

didnt the lakers start off 18-3 or something before all of the injuries with payton running the offense?

AriesMar27 said:
didnt the lakers start off 18-3 or something before all of the injuries with payton running the offense?
They sure did but the problem was they wasn't really running the triangle. Around Jan. Phil buckled down on the team and wanted to see more triangle execution and less freelancing. Payton quickly became upset and pouted for the rest of the season and into the playoffs because of it.

Who will be the focal point of the triangle now that Shaq's gone? Lamar Odom? Don't the Lakers need a good passing PF or C to execute the triangle well? Vlade would have been good for the triple post offense, too bad he retired. Just curious.

Last edited:
KingKong said:
Who will be the focal point of the triangle now that Shaq's gone? Lamar Odom? Don't the Lakers need a good passing PF or C to execute the triangle well? Vlade would have been good for the triple post offense, too bad he retired. Just curious.
Nope. Triangle can easily be adjusted to fit different groups of players. Chicago didn't exactly have great passing bigmen when Phil ran it there. Seems a lot of people remember the slow poke way it had to be run with Shaq on the floor instead of how Chicago was able to use it (not saying LA will be anything like Chicago in terms of winning). Odom will be the main facilitator. Phil's already told him his game will be a mix between Scottie and Kukoc.

Yeah come to think of it I don't remember the Bulls having a great passing big man, but they did have some intelligent players on the court who seemed to understand the offense well. I think Odom is very good talent, but he really wasn't much of anything last season. He doesn't seem to have the drive or consistency to play the Pippen role, but maybe Phil can change that.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KingKong said:
Yeah come to think of it I don't remember the Bulls having a great passing big man, but they did have some intelligent players on the court who seemed to understand the offense well. I think Odom is very good talent, but he really wasn't much of anything last season. He doesn't seem to have the drive or consistency to play the Pippen role, but maybe Phil can change that.
nWhat yo9u don't remember Luke Longly, the Vlade from down under? (Sarcasam) McKie is a bout right for a PJ PG... does invite half court traps, not like the Kings will put that much effort into defense, but other teams might. I still do not see the Odom, Kobe, tandem really flourishng with the triangle, but we shall see.