Mario Hezonja?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respects Hezonja is a lot more talented player than Jackson. A better shooter and more versatile as of right now.

Coming through the underage ranks in Europe, Hezonja was widely considered to be a much more talented player than Bogdanovic and as much as I love Bogdan, Mario has a higher ceiling that Bogdan does and is a better player than Bogdan was at the same age.
ParniValjak, what’s going on with Hezonja? I have been following his stats and they look awful. At this point we might be able to add him at around the league minimum.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You misread my point. I'm not stating that it's a bad approach, but trying to acquire shooting and passing only won't get it done. You need defense and you need rebounding. You need grit and you need heart. I don't have a lot of hope that Vlade can build a team that can make the playoffs but that's a conversation for another day. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Sorry I'm late to respond, but made my annual trip up to Uncia03's to watch March maddness. Had a great time, but very tired. I recommend not getting old. And if you do, get rid of all mirrors. They become too much of a reality check. But back to the subject.. I dont disagree with what you've written. You need all those things, and if you get all those things at one time in a player, your lucky. And, you've probably just spent a lot of money. I would almost put heart and grit above everything else, because if a player has those qualities, he'll usually improve all the other things. If he has his head on straight, and is able to realize his limitations.

That last one is very hard for some players, and just as hard many times for management. A player may be trying to achieve something he's incapable of, or, management may trying to limit a player that's capable of doing much more than he's being allowed to do. The one thing I've learned over the years I've been watching NBA basketball, is that if you commit to a player, a coach, or a GM, then you have to have the patience to let that commitment run it's course before passing judgement.

The Kings have been guilty of changing courses on a yearly basis and the results are what you would expect from that. But I digress! I think it's fine to risk giving a small contract for reasonable money to a young player that's underachieved since being drafted. The risk is small, and the reward may be large. But if your going to give a big contract with big money to a player, then that's a different story. Your expectations become much higher, and hopefully those expectations are based on past performance. The reason the player getting the small contract is getting that small contract, is because of his past performances.

It's for this very reason that I'm opposed to giving Aaron Gordon a max contract. I like him, and yes, I see the potential, but his past performances don't add up to a max contract in my humble opinion. I could be wrong, and I would certainly hope I'm wrong if we were to sign him to a max contract. But to my mind, the risk is too great that what we've seen from him so for, is what we'll get in the future, and that's not worth a max contract. I using him only as an example as the difference between signing a Hezonja or signing a Gordon.

ParniValjak, what’s going on with Hezonja? I have been following his stats and they look awful. At this point we might be able to add him at around the league minimum.
Back to earth. Gordon is back so Mario goes into a shell and doesn’t get as many shots as he did while Gordon was out injured.

Im glad peja apparently knows Hezonja personally (source is from this thread) and that inside knowledge would be very critical to unpacking his performance on the court.

If the red flags can be reasonablly explained we could get him at a discount. Be great to get him on a contract that looks similar to Temples deal except with a team option intstead of player.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Im glad peja apparently knows Hezonja personally (source is from this thread) and that inside knowledge would be very critical to unpacking his performance on the court.

If the red flags can be reasonablly explained we could get him at a discount. Be great to get him on a contract that looks similar to Temples deal except with a team option intstead of player.
Isn't Temple making $8 mill per yr? Clippers locked up Lou Williams for a 3 yr, 24 mill deal earlier this year. FA's are going to get pinched this off-season. For a FA like Hezonja, he will be fortunate to get something around $4 mill annually.

serious question: I was at the Magic v Kings game and Mario looked dis-interested, out of shape and lazy.

Should I just consider that a fluke or something that can be shaken off and we wind up with a baller? Because after that game where I saw him in person, I would want nothing to do with the guy - seemed to have loser written all over him.

But everybody can have a bad day right? Was it just a matter of the guy having a bad day? He did wake up with a fancy dunk and a couple threes later in the game but I was so far from being impressed.

serious question: I was at the Magic v Kings game and Mario looked dis-interested, out of shape and lazy.

Should I just consider that a fluke or something that can be shaken off and we wind up with a baller? Because after that game where I saw him in person, I would want nothing to do with the guy - seemed to have loser written all over him.

But everybody can have a bad day right? Was it just a matter of the guy having a bad day? He did wake up with a fancy dunk and a couple threes later in the game but I was so far from being impressed.
I don't know enough about him as a player to speak on that aspect. People seem to think he has potential still so I am trying to talk myself into the idea. Here is all I can come up with.

When he got there it was not the best environment, with no other euro players to learn from. The front office was a joke and has since been overhauled. He only had that run of good games when injuries decimated the starters and he got a shot and seemed to shine. Now they are healthy again, and he is relegated back to backup. Also, they didn't pick up his option which has to add water to his fire to play hard for them. Plus they have pulled off a masterful tank job.

That's all I got. I don't know if I would be happy or not if we signed him. I would just be hopeful.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Share a bunch of comments on Mario yet see him as a mis-used SF who need to have more shots (same as for JJ) but with some upsides. With both Mario and JJ defense is the key for a SF Kings need as well as 15 pts/nite. Peja may be the key here and think Mario fits in scheme of things at Capitol 1.

I was there last night and on the first play Mario stood there and watched us lay the ball up. I said "who the hell is number 8, damn he's trying to tank". Then I realized it was Mario Hezonja and I was flabbergasted that anybody would ever be interested in having this guy on their team.

Wish I'd seen him play well when he was younger or before he just gave up on life.

Looks like a complete turd to me - rather have Justin. Just sooo bad.
I can't believe some of the posters here who apparently have been sleeping since Mario was drafted. Really makes me question if they even watch games before they talk up a player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't believe some of the posters here who apparently have been sleeping since Mario was drafted. Really makes me question if they even watch games before they talk up a player.
I can only speak for myself, and I certainly know his history and the results he's had. We all know he was drafted because of his potential, and except for a few spurts here and there, he hasn't lived up to it. The other side of the coin though for me, is that almost every Magic player that's left that organization has played better with his new team. And yes, I know one could apply that same logic to Gordon. But the difference is the money involved. I think both players come with some risk, but Gordon's is a lot more expensive.

I think it's one thing to spend a lot of money on a player that's already proven himself, and the only risk is whether he'll re-sign with you or not. I think it's quite another to spend a lot of money on a player and the risk is whether he'll develop into the player that's worth all that money. However, in Hezonja's case, the risk is not that great because the money isn't that great. For that reason I would be willing to take a gamble on him, if the money is right. If someone comes along and offers him 15 to 17 mil a year, then I wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.