Malone new head coach! (merged)

If he was behind the GS X's and O's, a good sign is GS clearly had outlined roles and they relied heavily on their best players
He was. i know a guy that works with the team. he gets to talk to Jerry West all the time and all kinds of cool stuff.

anyway, he told me Malone was responsible for all of the Warriors success this season while Mark Jackson just pretty much preaches to the team and inspires them

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He was. i know a guy that works with the team. he gets to talk to Jerry West all the time and all kinds of cool stuff.

anyway, he told me Malone was responsible for all of the Warriors success this season while Mark Jackson just pretty much preaches to the team and inspires them
So sortof a Doc Rivers/Tom Thibodeau dynamic then?

gunks

Hall of Famer
If he was behind the GS X's and O's, a good sign is GS clearly had outlined roles and they relied heavily on their best players. Win or lose, GS rode Steph/Klay/Lee. Barnes did very well as the season progressed but his role was limited on offense. And you rarely saw guys breaking off plays to go 1v1 which we saw every other trip down the floor. They ran plays to consistently get their best players easier looks.
That was pretty much every team in the league but the Kings.

gunks

Hall of Famer

Would be cool if we just poached a division rivals mojo.

Would be cool if we just poached a division rivals mojo.
It is pretty cool. I checked out a warriors message board and they actually had a really well populated thread dedicated to what they were going to do to replace Malone. First time I've really seen that much fan reaction to an assistant coach change. I think we may have found a good one.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It is pretty cool. I checked out a warriors message board and they actually had a really well populated thread dedicated to what they were going to do to replace Malone. First time I've really seen that much fan reaction to an assistant coach change. I think we may have found a good one.
Keith Smart is available....

Keith Smart is available....
You know what's funny? Keith's leaving words cast pity on him because he wanted 3 years to turn us around. But I have no pity at all. In 2 years he didn't improve the team one bit, and if he were coach this coming season I wouldn't have any hope at all. In contrast, we saw a lot of promise for the team in the season before the lockout. Westphal is apparently a lazy coach and what not, but the truth is that the team was running some good offensive sets and the whole iso ball thing is greatly exaggerated. Westphal had a more immature Cousins to deal with and himself wasn't the right coach for young players. The lockout screwed up everything and perhaps Wetphal wasn't well prepared for 2011. Anyway the point is i think Westphal isn't that bad a coach, he just wasn't the right fit. Smart on the other hand is simply bad.

Have heard nothing but rave reviews about Malone. Players love him, NBA analyists say he's a brilliant X and O's guy, and he's been widely talked about for years as one of the next assistants to get a Head Coaching gig. Certainly a GREAT step in the right direction for our new era

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Malone seems like a strong coach. The interview was impressive. The key though, is the owner. I see Vivek as a guy having the back of the coach, not undercutting him. That's how you get a strong organization. Now we just need a strong GM and this organization is ready to finally fly.

I'm pretty damn excited to get Malone, seems like a great guy to have for a growing/learning young team. However........Lionel Hollins most likely isn't going to return to the Grizzles now, and it would have been nice to get him in here. Still, happy to see what Malone can do!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pretty good article about Malone, especially considering who wrote it. ;)

I liked this part:

"For me, it's not going to be in wins and losses," Malone said. "That's not to say we don't want to win, but for me, we're going to judge success in Year One based off of three things. Did we change the culture, did we establish ourselves as a defensive team, and then, obviously, did our players develop?"

Malone said he will take something from all the coaches he's worked for and bring his own spin to Sacramento.

Bricklayer

He says the right things...but of course so did Smart for a while. The prospect of a team that actually features defense was basically impossible in all the two decades of Petrie, so this is a pretty promising development.

I have hope, but in a summer when you've now got Lionel Hollins in play, JVG now being contacted by the Clippers, he just has to work. Has to, or you get a black eye before you even get started. And the fact is, we don't know. We can say we do, but we don't. Nobody has ever seen him as a head coach. So...please please please be the guy.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He says the right things...but of course so did Smart for a while. The prospect of a team that actually features defense was basically impossible in all the two decades of Petrie, so this is a pretty promising development.

I have hope, but in a summer when you've now got Lionel Hollins in play, JVG now being contacted by the Clippers, he just has to work. Has to, or you get a black eye before you even get started. And the fact is, we don't know. We can say we do, but we don't. Nobody has ever seen him as a head coach. So...please please please be the guy.
It seems by all means of measuring such things except for the major, and I mean major, item called NBA HEAD coaching experience, we have got a good one. My problem is that it seems we have gone through similar experiences and expectations several times before. The major difference hopefully is the brain power at the top and by all means measurable, the brain power at the top far out strips what we have seen recently. Let us all hope that this brain power translates from creating software to creating basketball teams or an awful lot of excitement and expectation is going to be flushed down the toilet and break the hearts of many people who have done everything but coach the team themselves.

I am very hopeful that Vivek's devotion to being a success makes up for the errors he will make along the way. Seems likely. At least he has earned his success rather than inherited it and that shows something impressive to me.

Entity

Hall of Famer
lets go over our last 5 coaches. Musselman and Theus were hamstrung by lack of talent could they have been better? Yes I'm sure. Kenny Natt awful really just awful. In came Westphal who had nothing but a handful of young talent. he seemed to not be able to handle the job at hand. He lost touch with players never got it back. In came Smart assistant of westphal. He had these lofty goals and offensive schemes and knew exactly what he wanted the end result to be. Only problem he had no idea how to get from where he was to that goal. When it didn't work he just basically turned to a young high school coach. No real game plan just kinda play and play everybody so their parents won't get mad.

Now we have Malone. He has goals I'm sure on both offense and defense. I hope he has a plan put them in place and knows how to get from point A to point B. He seemed to do well in the places he has been as an assistant with the defenses. We just have to hope he gets the right guys in to formulate an offense that works off the strengths of the team. paitence will be key for him and the players during camp and pre-season. How well he impliments his ideas and how open the players are to the new system determines how quickly things change.

"For me, it's not going to be in wins and losses," Malone said. "That's not to say we don't want to win, but for me, we're going to judge success in Year One based off of three things. Did we change the culture, did we establish ourselves as a defensive team, and then, obviously, did our players develop?"
Malone said he will take something from all the coaches he's worked for and bring his own spin to Sacramento.
Well, I think this quote is quite important. Seems like there's no imperative for huge immediate success as long as perception about Kings play is changing from where it is right now to Bulls or Pacers type of getting you with defense, not offense. I would say there's a good chance for Aldrich and Douglas to come back given the impact they've shown on current Kings roster.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, I think this quote is quite important. Seems like there's no imperative for huge immediate success as long as perception about Kings play is changing from where it is right now to Bulls or Pacers type of getting you with defense, not offense. I would say there's a good chance for Aldrich and Douglas to come back given the impact they've shown on current Kings roster.
That's what I'm taking away from it, too.

Malone has earned this chance and everything I'm reading about him is very encouraging.

Personally I'd rather have a balanced team that is excellent on both ends. We have far more offensive potential than the Pacers and Bulls without Rose have. That said, I've long held that as long as we are winning I could care less what style we play.

I haven't chimed in on this yet, but I'm very excited. Just the fact that we now have a coach that preaches defense and has a proven track record when it comes to improving teams defensively is reason for excitement. I'm also anxious and nervous, as the jump from assistant to head coach can often be too big and many fail. But Malone is highly thought of around the league and thus far, has said all the right things. We may be one of the teams who gets lucky, and lands our own version of Thibodeau. Exciting times indeed, he seems like a good appointment. And if he's part Irish as someone mentioned, even better (my gateway into the Kings organisation, and subsequent appointment of Brick as GM.) :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wonder if any of the current assistants gets retained, i havent heard anything on their future or any potential replacements.
Malone is being presented as the new head coach today. I'm pretty sure he'll be naming his assistants as soon as possible as the whole new group is very quickly moving to make this THEIR team. It's an exciting time to be a Kings fan.

Malone is being presented as the new head coach today. I'm pretty sure he'll be naming his assistants as soon as possible as the whole new group is very quickly moving to make this THEIR team. It's an exciting time to be a Kings fan.
There were rumblings about how viveks group is big on involving past big name players being involved with the team and as evidenced by the rally, it will be interesting to see if guys like bobby jackson are kept if for nothing else his reletionships with some of the guys on the tea or if any other former players are added.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
There were rumblings about how viveks group is big on involving past big name players being involved with the team and as evidenced by the rally, it will be interesting to see if guys like bobby jackson are kept if for nothing else his reletionships with some of the guys on the tea or if any other former players are added.
I would be shocked if Bobby is not part of the franchise, I also would not be surprised to see Doug Christie turn up.

Bricklayer

"Defense is No. 1. Rebounding is No. 2. And once we rebound, we want to become a running team, but we run with discipline. And that means obviously taking care of the ball and proper shot selection. The last thing is valuing the basketball and sharing the basketball."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/03/5465619/new-faces-will-take-center-stage.html#storylink=cpy
Heresy!!

I'm sorry, but this guy doesn't sound like a Sacramento King at all. He just doesn't get our motif.